Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Good economic one liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Good economic one liners
Post by Annachie   » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:36 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:How to get a million dollars day-trading:

1. Start with two million...

Isn't that what the Donald did? ;)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Annachie   » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:48 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

To briefly bring up unemployment down here in Oz, currently we run about a million unemployed nationwide. (I assume I've misread the ABS statistics here because damn that's high.)
Number of job vacancies floats around 150,000 per month.

And that counts part time jobs, and I believe part time workers seeking a second job.

Not too good if you're unemployed.

Basically roughly 7 in 8 unemployed have no hope of getting a job because the jobs aren't there. Or roughly 1 in 30 Australians, actually more when you add in their children, survive on unemployment.

So does welfare matter? Or are we going to condemn people to starve through little fault of their own. (Realistically of course we know some will be bludgers, some unemployable. But with so many aplicants possible for every job, why would an employer look at the bludger types anyway?)

And of course government wastes time on "employment agencies" when they should just be building shit that needs building anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:09 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

While it sticks in my craw, there is some economic justification for just parking the most recalcitrant welfare cases on minimum payments. They then sit in their government provided basic housing, eating KFC or Maccas, watching free TV of football matches, and don't bother the rest of us. Cut off their stipend and you get the incarceration rates of the USA because they aren't prepared to starve. This costs much more.
Idle hands do cause trouble, but I'm more content to punish those who aren't hungry but just antisocial.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:22 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Daryl wrote:While it sticks in my craw, there is some economic justification for just parking the most recalcitrant welfare cases on minimum payments. They then sit in their government provided basic housing, eating KFC or Maccas, watching free TV of football matches, and don't bother the rest of us. Cut off their stipend and you get the incarceration rates of the USA because they aren't prepared to starve. This costs much more.
Idle hands do cause trouble, but I'm more content to punish those who aren't hungry but just antisocial.

The problem with that is they have kids. Those kids learn what their parents needed to do to live. Based on the US example not only do the kids learn it, but Joe or Jane Sixpack says well I can do that too.

Or worse look at an American Indian reservation. Guaranteed income, health and such to the tribe (not really but ... for discussion purposes). Not places generally I want to live.

I am not saying end welfare nor any of the other silliness, Sanger anyone. But I really don't see a solution that doesn't involve a lot of pain.

Biggest income gainers since we declared war on poverty the top 1%. EVERY President and Congress since has had the top earn more as percentage and poor earn less as a percentage.

T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

People that want to get rich don't want to be rich.

Proof?

People that want to get rich won't work any longer if they do, because they don't want to work. You have to work to get rich. Therefore, people that want to get rich don't want to be rich. Therefore, they won't. Chasing your tail.
My parents always taught us "work hard in life so you don't have to."

Why do people always ask me why I continue to work when I don't have to? Craziest damn question I've ever heard.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by DDHvi   » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:27 pm

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:People that want to get rich don't want to be rich.

Proof?

People that want to get rich won't work any longer if they do, because they don't want to work. You have to work to get rich. Therefore, people that want to get rich don't want to be rich. Therefore, they won't. Chasing your tail.
My parents always taught us "work hard in life so you don't have to."

Why do people always ask me why I continue to work when I don't have to? Craziest damn question I've ever heard.

Not doing something that has at least a chance of being useful can be very boring.
:?
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by DDHv   » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:48 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

In 1906, Alfred Henry Lewis stated, “There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy.”

At present the average USA city has about 3 days worth of food on hand at any time. The average grocery is running about 3% profit. What would happen if heavy inflation hits and wipes out the profit for several months in a row
:?:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Post by DDHv   » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:52 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:While it sticks in my craw, there is some economic justification for just parking the most recalcitrant welfare cases on minimum payments. They then sit in their government provided basic housing, eating KFC or Maccas, watching free TV of football matches, and don't bother the rest of us. Cut off their stipend and you get the incarceration rates of the USA because they aren't prepared to starve. This costs much more.

How about providing community gardens, seed, basic tools, and training as a requirement for those on food stamps, etc. Recently the state of Maine insisted on some minimum requirements - a few hours a week doing community work, or a certain amount of learning, etc. Too many of those getting the food stamps just dropped out of the program. [sarc] I wonder why [/asm]

Isn’t it interesting that the “next generation” our president encourages to embrace political relativism has been hurt the most by political relativism?

From: http://townhall.com/columnists/katiekie ... sletterad=

Does this author have his facts correct? Is he correct on his reasons why those facts exist

http://permies.com/t/56235/frugality/Sp ... save-money

My style of frugality: Hate shopping, transform consumption into production, spend more.

For some reason, if you buy something that lasts three times as long, it is worth paying twice as much. Provided, of course, you don't live where thieving is common practice
:!:

Peter Schiff wrote:If you think this was a bad recovery and, of course, this was the weakest recovery ever – wait till you get a load of the next recession.

Schiff is the one who correctly predicted in detail the 2007>2008 recession, with warnings starting in 2004. We paid off all debt years back and are enlarging our garden. Schiff says the bad part is going to be the hyper-inflation of the dollar.
:shock:
Last edited by DDHv on Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:24 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The only thing that defeats gravity is the uphill flow of money.
—cthia

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by DDHv   » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:01 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

The only hope of material progress is to get more output out of each unit of time.

The two ways to do this are better machinery, or enslaving someone else. Historically, the latter has been most favored by the big shots - although they don't call it that
:evil:

Meanwhile, Delta's innovation lanes are already providing real and immediate benefits for airline passengers, as explained by Delta COO Gil West:

http://politicalcalculations.blogspot.com/
of 6/3/2016

Upton Sinclair wrote:"it is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

It looks like some airlines are getting impatient with TSA fumbling. This is set up as an experimental, they got 30% improvement the first day, and expect to double flow with the current setup. It can be easily duplicated also. How long will it take for TSA to realize this should be implemented elsewhere
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Return to Free-Range Topics...