Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

solar power

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: solar power
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Tue May 10, 2016 4:10 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

I wasn't clear the holes in the roof were for mounting PV Modules.

My apologies,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by DDHv   » Wed May 11, 2016 10:54 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

thinkstoomuch wrote:I wasn't clear the holes in the roof were for mounting PV Modules.

My apologies,
T2M

If you are going to PV anyway, and can use the heat, several companies are selling PVT. The thermal part adds somewhat to the expense, but greatly increases the total efficiency.

Of course, if the heat can't be used, this is wasteful
;)
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Relax   » Thu May 12, 2016 2:03 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

If you have hot water source you also get an AC source... Assuming you want the AC that is. Otherwise take very very very long showers, or hey, how about a pool... Still waiting for that R134a turbine or Stirling engine operating off of solar heat.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by DDHv   » Sun May 22, 2016 11:17 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

Relax wrote:If you have hot water source you also get an AC source... Assuming you want the AC that is. Otherwise take very very very long showers, or hey, how about a pool... Still waiting for that R134a turbine or Stirling engine operating off of solar heat.

I don't know the R1345a, isn't that a refrigerant? Solar Stirlings exist. As usual, the problem is the cost/benefit ratio - anything you are thinking about, make massive use of paper, pencil, and spreadsheets; these are the least expensive way to find errors. And, boy, am I good at making preliminary erros :oops:

BTW, good reads are often found on:

energytrendinsider.com, such as the one below.

http://www.energytrendsinsider.com/2015 ... s-problem/

Apparently, a company RR works for devised an economical solution to the flare gas problem, which WTAWW was in beta testing. It is always very nice to see good engineering being done!

Personally, I use power tools, but keep some hand tools as backup. They are cheap, and we are using less than half of this big house for actual living space. It is possible to survive, and even thrive using hand tools, and sometimes this makes sense. If a situation repeats many times, a well engineered technical solution is often better. When possible, working with the mind beats working with the hands. ;) I'm not totally back to the land because it always increases the physical labor as well as needing mental labor
:(
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!

Return to Free-Range Topics...