Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Naval History question.

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Naval History question.
Post by Roguevictory   » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:55 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Annachie wrote:Ship designers, or the manager of ship designers?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Designers. I can find combat Admirals who had roles managing designers with ease. Though I imagine many designers also manage designers or are parts of teams being managed by someone else.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:45 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

That's what I thought, but the conversation seemed to be including the latter catagories.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:39 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory, your topic, but I would have thought that the experienced flag officer who made his vision plain to the planners would have had more influence in new design directions than the guy on the drafting board. The flag officer would have driven the direction which the hands on designers would have implemented.

Brigadier Billy Mitchell was the driving force behind the development of the USAF, and along the way saved the US Navy by driving the development of aircraft carriers ahead of battleships. If Mitchell and Yamamoto hadn't existed the Pacific campaign in WW2 would have been very different, repeated Jutlands.
Post by Roguevictory   » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

The whole think started as a discussion of pat character types and characters types we like to play at one of my tabletop RPG groups. There was a newcomer who thought it was unrealistic to play officers who were both ship designers and front line commanders after I mentioned how much I enjoyed playing the combination. He asked me to provide some historical examples but I couldn't recall any names off the top of my head so I told him that I would do some research and bring some names to our next meeting.

After researching for a few hours upon getting home that night I was still drawing a blank so figuring that someone here might know the topic better then I did I created the topic while continuing my own research, though any names mentioned here got bumped up to the top of the research priority list.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:29 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:The whole think started as a discussion of pat character types and characters types we like to play at one of my tabletop RPG groups. There was a newcomer who thought it was unrealistic to play officers who were both ship designers and front line commanders after I mentioned how much I enjoyed playing the combination. He asked me to provide some historical examples but I couldn't recall any names off the top of my head so I told him that I would do some research and bring some names to our next meeting.

After researching for a few hours upon getting home that night I was still drawing a blank so figuring that someone here might know the topic better then I did I created the topic while continuing my own research, though any names mentioned here got bumped up to the top of the research priority list.

Well depending on how you define it. ADM Arleigh Burke. Involved in the development of the 5 inch 38 early in his career and "Navy Secretary on the Defense Research and Development Board" as well as eventually serving as CNO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arleigh_Burke

Not sure if that fits the bill and really expected someone else to bring him up.

Hope it helps,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Roguevictory   » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:43 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Close enough for me, whether it will be for the person I'm debating the issue with will be seen this weekend
Post by Sully   » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Sully
Ensign

Roguevictory wrote:
Annachie wrote:Ship designers, or the manager of ship designers?

Designers. I can find combat Admirals who had roles managing designers with ease. Though I imagine many designers also manage designers or are parts of teams being managed by someone else.

That's because being a great engineer* and being a great officer aren't necessarily overlapping, or even complementary, skillsets.

But in terms of RPG characters, sure. Just set up the society as one mostly illiterate. If only the elite/aristocracy can read/write/figure, then yeah-an overlapping engineer&officer might manage to stand out in both roles. Easier to do that with a shallow talent pool of the aristocratic. Harder when every Joe Farmboy can go to college or naval academies to discover and military or scholarly aptitudes, instead of driving a team of oxen.

*engineer in the design sense, not 'naval engineer who oversees the ship's power plant maintenance and operation'.
Post by Rincewind   » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:48 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Admiral Jackie Fisher was not actually a ship designer. Certainly he presided over the board that led to the HMS Dreadnought & HMS Invincible but he did not actually design them. That was done by Chief Constructor Gard I believe.

If you want the example of a fighting admiral who did design a warship then there is Admiral James Gambier; (a.k.a. Dismal Jimmy). He is reputed to have designed the frigate HMS Triton in 1796.

Return to Free-Range Topics...