Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Battletech

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Battletech
Post by MAD-4A   » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:44 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

The E wrote:Or, OR, you could use the official MechWarrior RPG.You know. Just a thought.
Ah yes, I ran a few of those, "I'm so butt ugly that people would throw up if I took my helmet off, and too weak to haul my own weight up the ladder to my cockpit, but once someone else straps me in, I can't fall or miss a shot" system.ch-1, st-1, Rfx-6, Lrn-6, Int-4-6 Nat-Ap Mech Pilot & Gunnery multiple edge points... had some fun, but you really have to modify it so players actually play realistic characters who can feed themselves and don't have to be spoon feed outside their cockpit. I didn't allow mech purchase at character creation, forced them to earn their cockpit. went a long way towards discouraging min-maxing. but still had one guy try it, first spec-ops mission he stayed on the Dropship because the other characters didn't want him bringing his own tin-cans to trip over while sneaking past the guards. The players, as a group-not me as GM, told him to ditch the "break-glass-in-case-of-combat" character or get used to being left behind.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
The E wrote:Or, OR, you could use the official MechWarrior RPG.You know. Just a thought.
Ah yes, I ran a few of those, "I'm so butt ugly that people would throw up if I took my helmet off, and too weak to haul my own weight up the ladder to my cockpit, but once someone else straps me in, I can't fall or miss a shot" system.ch-1, st-1, Rfx-6, Lrn-6, Int-4-6 Nat-Ap Mech Pilot & Gunnery multiple edge points... had some fun, but you really have to modify it so players actually play realistic characters who can feed themselves and don't have to be spoon feed outside their cockpit. I didn't allow mech purchase at character creation, forced them to earn their cockpit. went a long way towards discouraging min-maxing. but still had one guy try it, first spec-ops mission he stayed on the Dropship because the other characters didn't want him bringing his own tin-cans to trip over while sneaking past the guards. The players, as a group-not me as GM, told him to ditch the "break-glass-in-case-of-combat" character or get used to being left behind.

Well, that was much of the reason behind MW 3rd edition, which for all its downsides has some rather decent sides to it.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Dying is half the fun of playing DnD games. Back when we first started playing when we were kids we played with the same character all the time but as we progressed we learned to play disposable characters. Whether you died the first encounter or right at the end it is about keeping playing.

Some of the fun is waking up as a character and finding yourself on a ship or just booted off a ship that decides your Mech will cover your gambling debt. In Traveler half the fun was making your character playing the creation even more so.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:03 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Seems there is a new Battletech version coming out.

Return to Free-Range Topics...