Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

ISIS

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: ISIS
Post by Rincewind   » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:24 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Annachie wrote:DDHv, you really should study some history.
Hint, substitute 'Crusade' for 'Jihad', and don't limit yourself to islamists.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The Crusades occurred only after the Muslim world had carved out a huge lump from Southern Europe. Certainly some radical Muslims have called for the reconquest of Spain on the grounds that it was once a Muslim country.
Also you had Muslim pirates raiding the shores of the British Isles as early as the Seventh Century CE I believe.

Funny how they never mention that.
Post by DDHv   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:51 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

Tenshinai wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Cite please. Given the US media's anti-Christian bias we would hear about them all. Every day.

"US media's anti-Christian bias"?

Are you for real?

Wikipedia wrote:Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.[2]

Ad hominem reasoning is not always fallacious, for example, when it relates to the credibility of statements of fact or when used in certain kinds of moral and practical reasoning.[3]

Fallacious ad hominem reasoning is normally categorized as an informal fallacy,[4][5][6] more precisely as a genetic fallacy, a subcategory of fallacies of irrelevance.

I once read a booklet discussing logical fallacies. There were so many possible ones, that only a few have been remembered. This particular one is so common that remembering it has been no problem
;)
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:06 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

DDHv wrote:
Tenshinai wrote:
"US media's anti-Christian bias"?

Are you for real?

Wikipedia wrote:Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.[2]

Ad hominem reasoning is not always fallacious, for example, when it relates to the credibility of statements of fact or when used in certain kinds of moral and practical reasoning.[3]

Fallacious ad hominem reasoning is normally categorized as an informal fallacy,[4][5][6] more precisely as a genetic fallacy, a subcategory of fallacies of irrelevance.

I once read a booklet discussing logical fallacies. There were so many possible ones, that only a few have been remembered. This particular one is so common that remembering it has been no problem
;)

And sadly, you introduce another logical fallacy yourself by utterly failing to understand what you are quoting.

Calling a statement outrageous is in no way an "Ad hominem".

If i were to call you stupid for claiming so, THAT would be one. If i however merely refer to the claim itself as bloody stupid, that is still not an ad hominem.

Seriously, you need to improve your understanding of the English language.

And for fallacies, this site has a bundle nicely listed:
http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html

You may want to also consider that you effectively conducted an ad hominem by claiming that i did so rather than concern yourself with what i said.

Return to Free-Range Topics...