Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

ISIS

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: ISIS
Post by Daryl   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:08 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Very unfortunate that this loser got his hands on an illegal Glock, but imagine what would have happened if he had been able to just walk in and buy a legal AR15?

Michael Everett wrote:It would seem I jumped the gun as well.
The person responsible for the Munich shooting appears to have been a loner obsessed with mass shootings and who was suffering from psychiatric problems.
Given the extremely strict German gun/weapon laws, it is rather unfortunate that the person in question still managed to get his hands on a weapon.
How he got his hands on the gun (9mm Glock pistol with about 300 rounds of ammunition in his backpack at the time it was recovered) is unknown, but he did not have a permit and the serial number was removed, rendering it virtually untraceable.

So, this was not linked to ISIS after all.
Mea culpa, I took the early reports at face value.

This may become an issue for the "Guns, Guns, Guns" thread though. The strictest weapons laws in Europe failed to stop a lone madman from getting his hands on a gun and killing nine people (plus injuring 27 others whether directly or indirectly).
I can see the "This is why gun laws don't make a difference" argument starting up again from this...
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:16 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Not in the US. He was diagnosed with mental issues. The Backround check would have prohibited the sale. Now those shooters in France got full automatics. Funny, we have more access to guns in the US, but shooters used full automatics in Europe with stricter gun control.

Daryl wrote:Very unfortunate that this loser got his hands on an illegal Glock, but imagine what would have happened if he had been able to just walk in and buy a legal AR15?

The person responsible for the Munich shooting appears to have been a loner obsessed with mass shootings and who was suffering from psychiatric problems.
Given the extremely strict German gun/weapon laws, it is rather unfortunate that the person in question still managed to get his hands on a weapon.
How he got his hands on the gun (9mm Glock pistol with about 300 rounds of ammunition in his backpack at the time it was recovered) is unknown, but he did not have a permit and the serial number was removed, rendering it virtually untraceable.

This may become an issue for the "Guns, Guns, Guns" thread though. The strictest weapons laws in Europe failed to stop a lone madman from getting his hands on a gun and killing nine people (plus injuring 27 others whether directly or indirectly).
I can see the "This is why gun laws don't make a difference" argument starting up again from this...
Post by Daryl   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:27 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

From what I have read not all states have background checks, and private sales are exempt?
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:31 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

No, they are not. People have been charged with strawman transactions. Transactions that the private seller engages in to knowingly circumvent the legal checks. Since the background checks are federal, the States have to comply. Those strawman cases set a president for liability suites for private sellers selling weapons to people who do bad things.

If you refer to gun shows, they have to submit purchasers for background checks. I don't believe there are any loopholes in that law any longer.

Daryl wrote:From what I have read not all states have background checks, and private sales are exempt?
Post by DDHv   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:22 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:Known illiterates who produced high-quality poetry
in their native tongue:

Homer: Iliad, Oddessy.

HTM

DDHv wrote:
{big snip - htm}

The evidence presented by Islam for the Quran being God's word
is the improbability of an illiterate producing high quality
poetry in Arabic, stating that it was from God.

My wife asked if we have solid evidence that Homer was illiterate. Anyone know?

In any case, why should we assume someone has to be literate to produce excellent poetry?

Homer didn't state his skilled work was from God, did he
:?: :!:
Last edited by DDHv on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by DDHv   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:33 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:Not in the US. He was diagnosed with mental issues. The Backround check would have prohibited the sale. Now those shooters in France got full automatics. Funny, we have more access to guns in the US, but shooters used full automatics in Europe with stricter gun control.

Daryl wrote:Very unfortunate that this loser got his hands on an illegal Glock, but imagine what would have happened if he had been able to just walk in and buy a legal AR15?

"="Michael Everett" It would seem I jumped the gun as well.

I can see the "This is why gun laws don't make a difference" argument starting up again from this..."

FWIR, recently terrorist groups have been deliberately encouraging "lone wolf" attacks by people who agree with them or use them as an excuse for their individual actions
:twisted:

About gun law differences, many compare London and NYC, ignoring that NYC had a higher gun death rate for about two hundred years. The best comparison would be between before and after the beginning of gun control laws (or ending of them) in the same polity, and should include trends, since there is usually a delay between law changes and resulting actions. Poor test methods lead to incorrect conclusions
:!:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:57 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Hardly. With borders completely open across EU, if someone REALLY wants to use a gun, it´s not the laws of ONE country that matters, but whether the perpetrator has the ability to travel to get the gun he wants.
Post by DDHv   » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:23 am

DDHv
Captain of the List

Tenshinai wrote:

Hardly. With borders completely open across EU, if someone REALLY wants to use a gun, it´s not the laws of ONE country that matters, but whether the perpetrator has the ability to travel to get the gun he wants.

Also who his contacts are. Contacts (including internet ones) also matter for motivations.
:|
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:33 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

DDHv wrote:
Also who his contacts are. Contacts (including internet ones) also matter for motivations.

Indeed.
Post by DDHv   » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:55 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

http://constitution.com/french-arent-po ... ck-driver/

If Western nations want to discourage future events like this, they need to invite cameras in for the aftermath, as someone “accidentally” knocks over a can of bacon grease, or perhaps a slab of ham slices, onto the body—the wise man utilizes the beliefs of his enemy against him.

Islam provides no assurance of salvation, except for the one who dies in an act of “jihad.” But… since Islam is a manmade, works religion, you can negate that outcome (in their twisted beliefs) by “defiling” the body with anything having to do with pork, so… take away the incentive to die in an act of jihad, and they have to find other ways to occupy themselves.

The post is about french people piling garbage and such at the place where the terrorist truck driver died. It is part of a quote without a source mentioned. The idea that pork will defile a jihadist would be an example of their view of God as being capricious and arbitrary.

This would be very impolite, but is it a wise course of action
:?:

Some people call police "pigs". Perhaps it would be ironic if they used actual pig parts as "weapons" of mass persuasion
;)

OTOH, doing anything like this officially would expose some to retaliation, possibly lethal. It might be better to, like the french, be individuals. Just make sure the media warns about this consequence coming from the impoliteness of killing our people
Last edited by DDHv on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Return to Free-Range Topics...