Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000): The Future Is Getting Closer

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000): The Future Is Getting Closer
Post by Thucydides   » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Thucydides
Captain of the List

HB of CJ, you are describing what the Chinese call "Unrestricted Warfare", which itself is a variation or development of what many military theorists call "4GW".

Widely dispersed forces, ones that are smaller, faster, less tied to a big logistics tail are indeed what will be needed. These forces will also use technologies in new and different ways (I picture UCAVs orbiting over ships and ground formations to provide the anti missile defense, since they have longer sight lines and can engage incoming weapons at longer ranges, for example).

Of course, *we* should also be prepared to deal with 4GW and Unrestricted Warfare by being able to deal out the same sorts of punishment to our enemies.
Post by Dilandu   » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:38 am

Dilandu
Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:Too big, too expensive. The Forrest-Fire and the Big E were completely disabled by some cheap, (relatively speaking) ordnance going off. We can and must make stuff, (including navy ships) smaller, cheaper and better.

Really? :D The "Forrestal" suffered detonation of no less than nine 454 kg bombs directly on the flight deck. This was the worst possible situation, in the list that not affected the damage to underwater parts.

And 11 day after she was repaired enough to return to operation. ;) In the full-scale war condition, she would be able to return to operations less than 48 hours later.

The supercarriers actually the pretty tough ships. Their hulls are immense. There is simply no way thay you could disable them without great expenses and a tremendous losses.

Corvettes, Frigates, Destroyers and perhaps a few Cruisers. A smaller aircraft carrier not displacing more than 25,000 tons max. The smallest stuff just big enough to be sea worthy. Probably, (maybe) using gas turbines.

One problem. That fleet would be useless against full-scale aerial attack or missile strike with supersonic weapons. :D The pair of 949A would be able to just blow the "Corvettes, Frigates, Destroyers and perhaps a few Cruisers. A smaller aircraft carrier not displacing more than 25,000 tons max" to dust without really troubles.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by cthia   » Tue May 24, 2016 6:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Captain Kirk lives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqmnILFGZSQ

What a ship. But she has her problems.
https://www.rt.com/usa/navy-destroyer-l ... mwalt-921/

They are spending my tax dollars like a teenager in the mall!

It ain't the Enterprise, but you have to crawl before you "Zum walk"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by HB of CJ   » Tue May 24, 2016 10:24 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

They have to tie up sometimes. Three hundred buck limpet mines.
Post by Senior Chief   » Fri May 27, 2016 10:03 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

61Cygni wrote:Found this pictorial article about the USS Zumwalt, the first of the 3-ship DDG-1000 class. LOTS of photos of the almost-complete ship.

Remember, this is classed as a destroyer--a 16,000 ton destroyer. With 155mm guns it ought to be called a light cruiser, except it's bigger than WWII cruisers. :D

There is also a recent article about how the ship's gas turbines are being prepared for startup. It's an all-electric ship, even the engines are electric. Supposed to have enough juice to operate...rail guns and directed-energy weapons. No word yet on grav guns, pulsers or plasma cannons. :lol:

And to think I was in the Navy when Admiral Zumwalt was CNO. Remember the MOD-Squad and the Z-grams.

Return to Free-Range Topics...