Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

Self proclaimed one-liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Self proclaimed one-liners
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Some men spend half their lives trying to catch a woman. Then spend the other half trying to throw her back.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

A friend's wife on New Year's Eve...
My New Year's resolution will be to diet religiously... I'll cut my cakes into seven slices, eat six then rest on the seventh.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by DDHvi   » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:28 am

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:""cthia"]
When are guidance counselors ever going to be held accountable for their actions?"
Just before parole boards are held responsible for the crimes comitted by the known violent criminals they turn loose.
------------------
At my house, the "things that go bump in the night" are cats.

Isn't that the truth!

Regarding parole boards, I've asked this question many times --Who exactly are the repeat offenders?

FWIR (from what I read) a majority of crimes are committed by violent predator personalities. You might read Nicky Cruz's biography, "Run, Baby, Run" with attention to the part before the change.

=Louis Pasteur:
“Nothing can be done without preconceived ideas; only there must be the wisdom not to accept their
deductions beyond what experiments confirm.”

This is difficult. :cry:

Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!

But important :!: :!: :!:

As an example: My father had Rheumatoid Arthritis so bad that he had to have my mother put clothes on him while he stood still. After prayer at the church, he had free movement, which condition lasted until he died, about five years later. Mentioning this got a comment that it could be placebo effect. So I searched on ("rheumatoid arthritis" AND Placebo). The theory that it is placebo is possible. However: 1) he didn't have results the first few times he asked for prayer on that, and 2) FWIR placebo effects tend to fade out over a few years, which didn't happen with him.

This is a case where previous assumptions are likely to prevent changed minds.

I add that one of Pasteur's great qualities was the ability to come up with good experiments to test ideas to see which ones fit reality.

The current turmoil on our nation’s campuses is just a symptom of a deeper problem: Our universities have lost a vision for education.

This sounds correct for many universities.

But the most important thing we must do is prepare our students with a love for the true, the good, and the beautiful – a vision that makes political correctness pale in comparison.
Same source

Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:51 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Not everybody should go to college. Some folks, you send 'em to college and you just wind up with an educated idiot.
Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If stupidity was only seasonal, it would never stop raining.

Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The definition of insanity is in doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The practice of insanity is in trying to make sense of those who are.

The latter being my own addendum to an established one-liner.

Post by Annachie   » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:45 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
The definition of insanity is in doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The practice of insanity is in trying to make sense of those who are.

The latter being my own addendum to an established one-liner.

Ultimately, isn't that quantum theory? ;)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If you read the Art of War upside down,

You may incorrectly assimilate it as the War of Art.

Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hey, when your own ass is the hamburger on the butcher's block, it is suddenly prime rib estate.

Post by DDHvi   » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:08 pm

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

Once, the purpose of higher education was to expose young people to new and challenging ideas, thereby broadening their preconceptions of the world and forcing them to deepen not just what but how they think.

This was part of growing up.

Can a "safe place" help when an emergency hits
:?:

As Charlie Munger once put it, "Assume life will be really tough, and then ask if you can handle it. If the answer is yes, you've won."

:idea:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Return to Free-Range Topics...