Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

The Last Ship

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: The Last Ship
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Annachie wrote:The power of plot compels you.

Although ...

If you had a really long term plan to steal an Iowa class, and get it back to sea, then arranging for the ammunition to be misplaced, stealing the plans, even aquiring the spares, well it's not exactly out of the realms ...

More likely than mis-identifying one at least.

...You need firstly to completely rip out her old powerplant and replace it with new. Because otherwise her old boilers would blow up as soon as the steam pressure start to build. Turbine blades are probably worn-out also, everything mechanical is jammed tight and wasn't lubricated for years.

And there are no spare parts for most of her components anymore. And no plants that produced them, no engineers, that knew how to build them and how to operate the machinery anymore.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:04 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Plus, they would have to start the project years before they knew they would ever have any use for a battleship. This war led by a former Disney World mop jockey blew up out of nowhere in a few months.

They would have to work on the battleship for years, either at her museum moorings, or after towing her away. Either way, SOMEbody would have noticed long ago. The Navy would have definitely been aware of the theft, or the suspicious activity.

Three other World War 2 US battleships still exist, all converted to museum ships. They pose the same problems as the four Iowa-class battleships. There is no way Cuba could steal any of them and put them into service without taking years and being painfully obvious.
———————————
Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do remember history are doomed to watch everybody else repeat it.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Another week, another episode of The Last Ship.

This one is kind of a crossover with Hollywood Stupid, to wit:

1. You do NOT let a known trojan horse into your command center.
2. A prisoner's jewelry is impounded, along with everything else.
3. A prisoner that starts out by being uncooperative and making 'demands' will be sent to a cell to reconsider the situation.

In short, the conditions that lead to a terrorist takeover of the Florida command center would never exist in the real world.

I'm waiting for that greaser to tell the traitor bitch, "Stupid gringo puta, you ain't one of us!" and laugh.

They definitely showed a ship with at least one triple 16-inch turret in this episode. How could the Cubans have stolen one of the seven ships with such guns, spent several years getting it operational, AND stolen the ammunition and powder charges from an Army base in Indiana, all without ANYBODY noticing?
Post by Joat42   » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Not every episode needs a cliff hanger, a more fantastic threat, a badder bad guy, more mysteries etc. It's enough to tell a compelling story with some intelligent antagonists thrown in for some suspense.

I have only watched the first season and it seems they went down the stupid route of story-telling judging by the latest comments here.

So can I expect that the only suspense I'll get from watching later seasons is finding out if I'll be able to watch a whole episode without turning it off in disgust?

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:25 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

The last episode of The Last Ship finally showed the battleship that’s been causing them trouble for 5 episodes. It’s definitely a battleship, complete with the distinctive Iowa bow. They did not show a hull number; the side of the ship was either blank gray, or too much in shadow.

They never addressed the questions of how the Columbians — or Cubans — got hold of one of the only four Iowa class battleships in existence, all sitting as museum ships for decades, removed it from Pearl Harbor, Los Angeles, Camden or Norfolk, spent all the years and hundreds of millions of dollars it would take just to make it operational, found and trained a crew of 1,800, stole the only remaining 16-inch shells and powder charges from an Army base in Indiana…all without ANYBODY noticing. None of the characters asked any of those questions, either.

And then, what they show is an Iowa class battleship as they were fitted out in World War 2. The silhouette is a near-perfect match for a picture of the USS Iowa from 1944. Complete with stern-mounted seaplane crane and catapults, which have long since been removed from all four existing Iowa class battleships. With the old WW2 masts, radars and ‘long-wire’ radio antenna, but without any of the advanced weapon systems that were added in the 1970’s and 1980’s.

They must have Photoshopped a picture from 1945 into their show. Lazy buggers.
———————————
Hard work and sacrifice pays off at some indefinite time in the future. Laziness pays off today.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:14 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote: With the old WW2 masts, radars and ‘long-wire’ radio antenna, but without any of the advanced weapon systems that were added in the 1970’s and 1980’s.

Basically a training target for "Nathan James"; several missiles into superstructure, and several ASROC's under the keel, and she would go straight to the bottom.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:27 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Glad I gave up on THE LAST SHIP after they got rid of the smoking hot doctor.
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

...I really wish that Tfly's comment could surprise me.

Any chance I could arrange a petition for Tfly's username to be changed to Void_Cowboy?

(bonus points for anyone who understands that reference)
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:19 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Michael Everett wrote:...I really wish that Tfly's comment could surprise me.

Any chance I could arrange a petition for Tfly's username to be changed to Void_Cowboy?

(bonus points for anyone who understands that reference)

Once the threats of a Kirov class Battlecruiser then a British Astute class submarine ran their course,the writers had to fabricate threats that were ludicrous. The show ceased to be interesting or remotely credible. The ongoing conflicts are not credible in context of a plague that has wiped out the majority of the human race.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:45 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

The point is, the Iowa class battleship they put in their show was completely implausible for half a dozen separate reasons, each of them sufficient in itself to render the story bullshit, and then they showed it in a configuration that hasn't existed in fifty years! I ain't a-gonna let that slide!

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The ongoing conflicts are not credible in context of a plague that has wiped out the majority of the human race.

That is the least non-credible part of it. Look what has happened, again and again, in places where some disaster or war has wiped out the majority of a country. No matter how little is left, somebody is going to want it all. With the social constraints in ruins, they believe they can get it all. And very few of those wannabe warlords have the first clue what it takes to build and rule a functional society. They don't even understand that if they steal all the crops this year, the farmers will starve and there will be no crops next year. They believe there will always be more to steal.
———————————
Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do remember history are doomed to watch everybody else repeat it.

Return to Free-Range Topics...