Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

The Last Ship

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
The Last Ship
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:36 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

OK, started watching this end-of-the-world show. Mostly pretty good, but after two episodes I've already spotted two groaners and a howler. I sure hope it gets better.

Just in case you want to identify the groans/howls, or avoid spoilers, I've put them in a separate post.
-----------------
When someone does a foolish thing, you should say it is a foolish thing. They may still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be.
Re: The Last Ship
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:57 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

OK, so here they are:

Groaner 1: The ship is under total EMCON. No transmissions of any kind. The traitor on board is making 5-minute satellite phone calls every few days and NOBODY NOTICES. Are all the EWs asleep, or what?

Groaner 2: In port to take on supplies and fuel, they spot a ship approaching that identifies itself as a British ship. They look it up in a shipping registry and confirm that a ship by that name actually exists, but are unable to verify it because other than the one radio message, the ship is not emitting anything, not even navigation radar. The captain invites them to come on in and Lo, it's the same Russians that already committed an act of war against them off the coast of Greenland. NO US Navy captain would be one-tenth that stupid! I wasn't even an officer and I know better than to let any ship that has not been positively identified approach, ESPECIALLY if you are effectively at war!

Howler: A crewman stops the traitor from opening a particular valve, because....wait for it..."it would flood the engine room with poisonous Halon gas". AAARRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!! WHAT kind of idiots are running this production?!? If they had taken 30 seconds to Google it they would have found that the reason we use Halon is because it is NOT TOXIC -- it puts out fires WITHOUT killing everybody! It's not a good idea to remain in a space that has been infused with Halon because it displaces oxygen and you can suffocate, but even that would take several minutes.

Well, those are the things that made me feel like throwing stuff at the TV - anybody else spot anything?
---------------
Zathras understand.
No. Zathras not understand. But, Zathras DO.
Zathras good at doings. Not so good at understandings.
Post by Fireflair   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:09 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:OK, so here they are:

Groaner 1: The ship is under total EMCON. No transmissions of any kind. The traitor on board is making 5-minute satellite phone calls every few days and NOBODY NOTICES. Are all the EWs asleep, or what?

Groaner 2: In port to take on supplies and fuel, they spot a ship approaching that identifies itself as a British ship. They look it up in a shipping registry and confirm that a ship by that name actually exists, but are unable to verify it because other than the one radio message, the ship is not emitting anything, not even navigation radar. The captain invites them to come on in and Lo, it's the same Russians that already committed an act of war against them off the coast of Greenland. NO US Navy captain would be one-tenth that stupid! I wasn't even an officer and I know better than to let any ship that has not been positively identified approach, ESPECIALLY if you are effectively at war!

Howler: A crewman stops the traitor from opening a particular valve, because....wait for it..."it would flood the engine room with poisonous Halon gas". AAARRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!! WHAT kind of idiots are running this production?!? If they had taken 30 seconds to Google it they would have found that the reason we use Halon is because it is NOT TOXIC -- it puts out fires WITHOUT killing everybody! It's not a good idea to remain in a space that has been infused with Halon because it displaces oxygen and you can suffocate, but even that would take several minutes.

Well, those are the things that made me feel like throwing stuff at the TV - anybody else spot anything?
---------------
Zathras understand.
No. Zathras not understand. But, Zathras DO.
Zathras good at doings. Not so good at understandings.

As a retired sailor, I took one look at the show and opted out of ever watching it. Ninety percent of these Navy related shows are horrible. Depicting things as they would never be. Showing unrealistic views or equipment. And completely screwed up on the dynamics of a military command. All that, despite having a plethora of military advisers to help them!
Post by viciokie   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:22 pm

viciokie
Captain of the List

Watch the movie Battleship and see how many groaners and howlers you can see in it. I saw only a little bit before turning it off in disgust and i am Army vet not Navy but even i know alot of stuff that does not jive with that movie.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

viciokie wrote:Watch the movie Battleship and see how many groaners and howlers you can see in it. I saw only a little bit before turning it off in disgust and i am Army vet not Navy but even i know alot of stuff that does not jive with that movie.

I don't think I can count that high. (and it should be "jibe", not "jive")
--------------
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by hanuman   » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:33 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:
viciokie wrote:Watch the movie Battleship and see how many groaners and howlers you can see in it. I saw only a little bit before turning it off in disgust and i am Army vet not Navy but even i know alot of stuff that does not jive with that movie.

I don't think I can count that high. (and it should be "jibe", not "jive")
--------------
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!

I don't know about elsewhere, but in South Africa we also use 'jive' in the sense viciokie used it. 'Jibe' means something like 'underhanded sarcasm' in Sanglish.
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

hanuman wrote:I don't know about elsewhere, but in South Africa we also use 'jive' in the sense viciokie used it. 'Jibe' means something like 'underhanded sarcasm' in Sanglish.

Jibe would be the perfect word for that film, then...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by saber964   » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:53 pm

saber964
Admiral

I noticed a error also. In the pilot if you look out the bridge windows you can see that the ships jackstaff and jack are up while the ship is supposed to be at sea. And it appears and disappears all in the same scene. There're only erected and flown while in port.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:I noticed a error also. In the pilot if you look out the bridge windows you can see that the ships jackstaff and jack are up while the ship is supposed to be at sea. And it appears and disappears all in the same scene. There're only erected and flown while in port.

Didn't catch that one, but you're right. Also, the US flag is flown from the fantail in port, and from the mast at sea. Haven't checked consistency on that either. Of course, those are not really big enough to qualify as groaners, much less howlers.
---------------
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here - this is the War Room!
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:04 pm

namelessfly

Okay, lots of errors in THE LAST SHIP.

However; it stars LYNN COLLINS!

Therefore; I will watch it.

Return to Free-Range Topics...