Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

The Last Ship

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: The Last Ship
Post by Joat42   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:01 am

Joat42
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:OK, so here they are:

Groaner 1: The ship is under total EMCON. No transmissions of any kind. The traitor on board is making 5-minute satellite phone calls every few days and NOBODY NOTICES. Are all the EWs asleep, or what?

To top it off they use the satellite phone inside the ship (unless they put up their own external antenna the reception would be nil).

Imaginos1892 wrote:Zathras understand.
No. Zathras not understand. But, Zathras DO.
Zathras good at doings. Not so good at understandings.

B5, that was a long time ago...

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:35 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

namelessfly wrote:Okay, lots of errors in THE LAST SHIP.

However; it stars LYNN COLLINS!

Therefore; I will watch it.

Sorry, Fly, not her. Dr. Scott is played by Rhona Mitra. Looks a bit like her, even got a British accent, but... not.

Dunno about you, but every time somebody says "Doctor Scott" I can't help but hear that scene from Rocky Horror:

"Brad!"
"Janet!"
"Rocky!"
"Doctor Scott!"
etc, etc....

And they had another groaner in episode 5. Commander Chandler says something to the effect of "light 'em up with the .50 cal" but their boat does NOT have a .50. They don't show a good close shot, but the bow-mounted machine gun is clearly a .30 caliber; I think it's an MG-240. Definitely not a Browning M-2, anyway. What makes it even worse is that earlier shots have showed real M-2's mounted on the ship.

Caught a groaner in "Manhattan". Young scientist tells older scientist "You're the dinosaur and you're afraid I'm the meteor that's gonna wipe you out". Aaaarrrgh. The Caribbean Impact Theory was first proposed in the early 1970's and didn't start to gain acceptance until the 80's. How could some rude prick use it as an insult in 1942?
---------------
At my house, the "things that go bump in the night" are cats.
Last edited by Imaginos1892 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:31 am

namelessfly

After Googling for images of Rhona Mitra nude, I decided that she will do.

Imaginos1892 wrote:
namelessfly wrote:Okay, lots of errors in THE LAST SHIP.

However; it stars LYNN COLLINS!

Therefore; I will watch it.

Sorry, Fly, not her. Dr. Scott is played by Rhona Mitra. Looks a bit like her, but... not.

Dunno about you, but every time somebody says "Doctor Scott" I can't help but hear that scene from Rocky Horror:

"Brad!"
"Janet!"
"Rocky!"
"Doctor Scott!"
etc, etc....

And they had another groaner in episode 5. Commander Chandler says something to the effect of "light 'em up with the .50 cal" but their boat does NOT have a .50. They don't show a good close shot, but the bow-mounted machine gun is clearly a .30 caliber; I think it's an MG-240. Definitely not a Browning M-2, anyway. What makes it even worse is that earlier shots have showed real M-2's mounted on the ship.

Caught a groaner in "Manhattan". Young scientist tells older scientist "You're the dinosaur and you're afraid I'm the meteor that's gonna wipe you out". Aaaarrrgh. The Caribbean Impact Theory was first proposed in the early 1970's and didn't start to gain acceptance until the 80's. How could some rude prick use it as an insult in 1942?
---------------
At my house, the "things that go bump in the night" are cats.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Season 4 has started, and the Red Death is killing off all our crops. Not ALL the world's plants, just our crops. It's killing monocots and dicots, grasses and broadleafs, grains, beans, nuts and roots...

So it's both indiscriminate AND selective. This is supposedly the same virus, that has 'jumped' from humans to plants. They say something about it originally being a plant virus, but the whole point of the James going to the arctic in the first season was to collect samples of the 'original strain' from BIRDS.

Did they completely forget the previous seasons?

Supposedly the only plant immune to the new virus is one species of African palm tree, and ALL the existing seeds have been stolen from the World Seed Bank by Moslem terrorists. If all the existing seeds were in the seed bank, there must be no living trees, so how did anybody find out they're immune to the virus?

And those 'Immunes' in Season 2. They believed they were some sort of Homo Novus just because they had a natural resistance to that ONE virus. Did NONE of them consider the fact that they weren't immune to a bunch of other diseases? Or did none of them ever, ever get a cold, flu, measles, chickenpox, etc? You'd think somebody might have noticed such a thing.
———————————
Please try to remain calm. You can panic if you want to, but it won’t help.
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:00 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Season 4 has started, and the Red Death is killing off all our crops. Not ALL the world's plants, just our crops. It's killing monocots and dicots, grasses and broadleafs, grains, beans, nuts and roots...

So it's both indiscriminate AND selective. This is supposedly the same virus, that has 'jumped' from humans to plants. They say something about it originally being a plant virus, but the whole point of the James going to the arctic in the first season was to collect samples of the 'original strain' from BIRDS.

Supposedly the only plant immune to the new virus is one species of African palm tree, and ALL the existing seeds have been stolen from the World Seed Bank by Moslem terrorists. If all the existing seeds were in the seed bank, there must be no living trees, so how did anybody find out they're immune to the virus?

And those 'Immunes' in Season 2. They believed they were some sort of Homo Novus just because they had a natural resistance to that ONE virus. Did NONE of them consider the fact that they weren't immune to a bunch of other diseases? Or did none of them ever, ever get a cold, flu, measles, chickenpox, etc? You'd think somebody might have noticed such a thing.
———————————
Please try to remain calm. You can panic if you want to, but it won’t help.

I've lost touch with the series, but I don't recall the original strain being collected from birds. Really?

Oh, and I didn't know that the new season had started. Thanks for the heads-up.

I lost contact with the series because I was really bummed when they killed off Rachel Scott. (Rhona Mitra)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Joat42   » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:37 am

Joat42
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:..snip..
..snip..

Either that or they have shitty writers that takes the easy way out to provide some suspense and in this instance - suspense of belief. ;)

This type of writing is usually the result of an original script that at best covers 2 seasons and when a series has good enough ratings to get new seasons the basic story has already been told and whatever writing that comes afterwards usually stinks.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:27 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Season 5 has started with a sneak attack by a Columbian dictator accusing the US of killing the president of Panama.

Lots of holes in that story, but the one that stands out: Those planes had to take off at least two hours before El Presidente was murdered, therefore Barros had to be behind the assassination. What kind of idiots do they grow down there? Why are they all cheering in the streets and believing the bullshit?

Here are a couple of things I'd like Chandler to say once the TV networks are back up.

“Who do you believe would murder the president of Panama to get what they want — the United States Of America, or some chickenshit Central American dictator? Whose army was ready to 'protect' Panama before the president was killed?”

“Once upon a time, an enemy believed they could destroy the United States with a dastardly sneak attack on our Navy. Most of the world remembers what happened to that enemy. Well, it looks like it's time for us to administer a remedial lesson to the slow children that didn’t get the point.”
———————————
Seen on the back of police EOD armor:

BOMB SQUAD
IF I AM RUNNING
YOU SHOULD RUN TOO
Post by vovchara   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 am

vovchara
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

In Pilot, when they get attacked by Russian helicopters I had to cringe. In a typical Hollywood fashion, following traditions created by Star Wars attack on Death Star the whole section where Hellis have to approach a target gets cut out.

Those ships have radar and helicopters aren't exactly stealthy, and CIWS are designed to intercept something much smaller and faster than an attack helicopter.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:44 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

In two separate episodes now, the Nathan James has gone up against something they are calling an Iowa-class battleship in Cuba. One way or another, I gotta call bullshit.

There are exactly four Iowa-class battleships in the world, all converted to museum ships and permanently moored in Los Angeles, Camden, Pearl Harbor and Norfolk.

How could the Cubans have stolen one of those battleships, made it combat-capable, and then smuggled an 880-foot-long, 55,000-ton freaking BATTLESHIP off to Cuba without ANYBODY noticing? Or even going, 'Hey, WTF, where'd our battleship go?'

Just getting one combat-capable would take YEARS in a U.S. shipyard with all the plans and, if any spare parts still exist, WE'VE got 'em all! We've got all the ammunition, too! It's stored at an Army ordnance facility in Indiana; how would the Cubans get ahold of it?

The alternative explanation is that the Navy's most modern shipboard detection systems are mis-identifying something else very specifically as an Iowa-class battleship. Did somebody spoof them? Why would anybody want to make something else look like a 75-year-old battleship? It maketh not sense any.

Either way, I don't buy it.

In the latest episode, they followed the 'battleship' into a small harbor and it disappeared. Maybe we find out next week.
———————————
At my house, the 'things that go bump in the night' are cats.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:30 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The power of plot compels you.

Although ...

If you had a really long term plan to steal an Iowa class, and get it back to sea, then arranging for the ammunition to be misplaced, stealing the plans, even aquiring the spares, well it's not exactly out of the realms ...

More likely than mis-identifying one at least.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Free-Range Topics...