Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 67 guests

Ebola Virus

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Ebola Virus
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:11 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The E wrote:
Yes, cthia, we get it, Ebola is dangerous and scary.

But at this time, it's about as dangerous and scary as the average nuclear weapon (Read: Not actually) for most of us here.

There are so many things that have to happen for this disease to break out in the areas where we live that it's quite unlikely. Evacuating US citizens to the US and treating them under carefully controlled conditions is not as big a risk factor as you make it out to be.

In your efforts here, you've gone way past "informing" and veered straight into "panicking". The line about "Ebola is now in the US"? That's hyperbolic bullshit, and you know it.

Yes, having an infectious disease onboard a plane is a nightmare scenario. But guess what, it's a nightmare scenario that comes with plans to deal with it attached.

And yeah, I stand by my points. Compared to diseases that have actually travelled the world, this outbreak is highly localized and moving at glacial pace. Under 2000 confirmed cases and under 1000 confirmed deaths over an 8 Month period does not a global pandemic make. There are way more relevant health risks in our daily lives than that.

Again, the intent of the thread, or any of my posts is not to panic. But to inform and alert. I do not intend panic, but IMHO, panic is better than the downplayed ill-informed, ill-advised advice being given. 'Not airborne' is assinine advice. I actually care that people survive this thing. Forgive me for actually caring about lives. Even yours. And no, YOU DO NOT GET IT, or we wouldn't be arguing over its seriousness. And you'd have taken this thread on intent ... and possibly made plans to weather the perfect storm that may arise.

And ... because knowledge is power. And knowing, prompts those who can (the public) to put proper pressure on those with our lives in their hands. And because the time to start getting prepared is now, before it 'hits our shores?'

And yes, Ebola Reston has already hit our shores. And I personally feel the current strain is here, in the form of infected Americans transported here. Do note I did say contained. Hopefully. That is not bullshit. That is fact. I am not sure if they have been flown here yet. But they will be.

Doctors are pulling out of Africa. That tells me they are cautious and or frightened. At least. Doctors here aren't immune. This isn't a time for us to engage in pissing contests. Or to blame the present President or his Administration. Ebola is bigger than all of that and it does not give a single solitary damn.

If I have screamed too loudly, I will not apologize. If I have failed to scream loud enough, then you have my full apology.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:24 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I don't intend to panic. However, panic is much better than complacence. Also, I intended to inform those considering international travel. I travel lots. I would want someone to open up this type discussion, in case I wasn't aware.

It is anyone's right to not be concerned. It is also their right to be properly informed.

Being unconcerned is your right.
Being unconcerned because of mis-disinformation is a crime. Being unconcerned because of ignorance is a shame.

If I have moved this concern to the front burner then I have achieved what I set out to do. Mostly.

Take it with however many grains of salt you wish.
Just do know, that salt isn't a cure or a vaccine.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by The E   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:47 am

The E
Admiral

cthia wrote:I don't intend to panic. However, panic is much better than complacence. Also, I intended to inform those considering international travel. I travel lots. I would want someone to open up this type discussion, in case I wasn't aware.

And informed rationality beats panic any day of the week. When I see the things namelessfly has posted (about how all the diseases of all the dirty unquarantined immigrants will kill everyone because OBAMA), I see panic. I see irrationality and fear, and that's not the right way to approach a situation as serious as this.

It is anyone's right to not be concerned. It is also their right to be properly informed.

Being unconcerned because of mis-disinformation is a crime. Being unconcerned because of ignorance is a shame.

If I have moved this concern to the front burner then I have achieved what I set out to do. Mostly.

And I agree with that sentiment, but not your way of addressing it.
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The E wrote:
cthia wrote:
I don't intend to panic. However, panic is much better than complacence. Also, I intended to inform those considering international travel. I travel lots. I would want someone to open up this type discussion, in case I wasn't aware.

And informed rationality beats panic any day of the week. When I see the things namelessfly has posted (about how all the diseases of all the dirty unquarantined immigrants will kill everyone because OBAMA), I see panic. I see irrationality and fear, and that's not the right way to approach a situation as serious as this.

I don't think my manner of addressing it was wrong, initially. Albeit, I did get rather emotional at the consumption of your post containing the offensive chart. A chart which is offensive, disrespectful, demeaning and ignorant, especially due to its leading line suggesting that Ebola is not airborne. In fact, you based your chart on that single assumption which is erroneous. It is correct by technicality, not by reality. And to suggest that everyone shut the #### up is childish, nor do you have authority to revoke the freedom of speech or press. Within the forum Duckk can.

I understand that you took issue with another's post regarding the borders. So too did I, because the danger of infected individuals will come from the more affluent, initially, because of their ability to receive passports and to afford flight — both to and from affected areas, and not from those braving border patrols, swimming a nasty river, cutting barbed wire, brush, and hiding in dirt.

Post by Arol   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:01 pm

Arol
Captain of the List

Has the strain presently in outbreak been identified?
As has its incubation periode? :?:

Various sources on the Net give conflicting information. :?
Post by namelessfly   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:22 pm

namelessfly

Your taking offense at my posts reveals your own politically correct bigotry.

Many in the US are descended from people who entered legally through Ellis Island where they were screened and quarenteened prior to be allowed into the US. One of my wife's ancestors (a filthy Swede) was actually sent back to Europe and refused entry until he recovered from TB. It is not racial. Bigotry. It is a common sense medical precaution.

Ebola is a tropical disease.

I agree that the wealthy legal immigrants have more opportunity to travel to Africa where they might become infected. However; we can track their movements by their passports and scrutinize those most at risk.

People from more tropical areas such as Mexico, Central America and South America are more likely to have been exposed to tropical diseases.

The illegal immigrants who are pouring across the US border because Obama has led them to believe that they will get amnesty are in extremely ill health. TB and other diseases have been
rampant in the processing centers. The quarenteen protocols are insanely negligent. If Ebola is transported from Africa to South America or the Carribean (very plausible given travel patterns) then to Mexico or South America, then there is extreme risk of it coming North to the US via illegal immigrants.

Far more plausible is the risk that some terrorists will intentionally travel to the affected areas to become infected then to Mexico to be smuggled across the border. If Ebola has become airborne, then the risk of them infecting large numbers of other immigrants is extreme.

Aside from the carnage that would result from an Ebola epidemic hitting the US, there is the very real risk of a political and societal backlash against the people perceived to be responsible. If you want to avoid that backlash, then support common sense border security. If you refuse to do so because of your PC bigotry, then the backlash will be justified.

The E wrote:
cthia wrote:I don't intend to panic. However, panic is much better than complacence. Also, I intended to inform those considering international travel. I travel lots. I would want someone to open up this type discussion, in case I wasn't aware.

Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:35 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Arol wrote:

That is a very good question. The kinds of questions, and activity this thread was created for.

You are absolutely correct, about the conflicting reports we are getting and it is part responsible for my anxieties. It doesn't seem like a handle is on this thing because it can't even be identified properly. First it's a new strain, Guinea Ebola. Then it is Ebola Zaire. Now it's a new strain but in the Ebola Zaire family, yet more evolved and dangerous. Mutated?

From the majority of reports it is either Ebola Zaire or a new, related Ebola Zaire strain.

Perhaps that is one reason transportation to America is desired, to properly study it.

Also how many different strains of Ebola is there? The origins have yet to be identified. And are the big three mutating?

The incubation period seems to be 2-21 days, the same for all strains. The difference being how hot the virus when contracted and how contracted. If I understand correctly. Do read The Hot Zone for yourself, however.

Post by namelessfly   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:53 pm

namelessfly

Post by namelessfly   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:58 pm

namelessfly

I absolutely agree that the conflicting reports increase anxiety. In previous outbreaks, the disease remained confined to small and remote areas. This time it has spread into three countries and may have reached Nirobi, a city with 20 million people. Not only is Nirobi threatened, an epidemic there will provoke a tidal wave of refugees. The fact that Ebola is not confined raises fears that this strain might be airborne.

Read THE HOT ZONE then read THE LAST CENTURION.

cthia wrote:
Arol wrote:

That is a very good question. The kinds of questions, and activity this thread was created for.

You are absolutely correct, about the conflicting reports we are getting and it is part responsible for my anxieties. It doesn't seem like a handle is on this thing because it can't even be identified properly. First it's a new strain, Guinea Ebola. Then it is Ebola Zaire. Now it's a new strain but in the Ebola Zaire family, yet more evolved and dangerous. Mutated?

From the majority of reports it is either Ebola Zaire or a new, related Ebola Zaire strain.

Perhaps that is one reason transportation to America is desired, to properly study it.

Also how many different strains of Ebola is there? The origins have yet to be identified. And are the big three mutating?

The incubation period seems to be 2-21 days, the same for all strains. The difference being how hot the virus when contracted and how contracted. If I understand correctly. Do read The Hot Zone for yourself, however.
Post by Arol   » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Arol
Captain of the List

[quote="cthia"... Now it's a new strain but in the Ebola Zaire family, yet more evolved and dangerous. Mutated?

... And are the big three mutating?
[/quote]
Mutating! Truely, in this context a word that's nightmarish!

Re., The Hot Spot I've already ordeed it, a week to 10 days delivery time.
Told my Book Dealer to order xtra copies.

Return to Free-Range Topics...