Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Non-Honorverse one-liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Non-Honorverse one-liners
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:
And for a board dedicated to Military Science Fiction, a mention of the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries (from the we cartoon Schlock Mercenary) must be included.

I'll post a few below--you can find the remainder (the author hasn't told us all seventy yet) at http://schlockmercenary.wikia.com/wiki/ ... ercenaries

A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on

Close air support and friendly fire should be easier to tell apart

The longer everything goes according to plan, the bigger the impending disaster

A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less

There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload

Don't expect the enemy to cooperate in the creation of your dream engagement

These are hillarious Hutch. I simply must visit that site!
You peeps (pardon the Haven reference) are making my contribs look Mary Poppinish.
Precious.

Gollum Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Invictus   » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:52 pm

Invictus
Commander

An Ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody

Anything is air-droppable at least once.

Some times the only way out is through...through the hull.

Close air support covereth a multitude of sins..

"When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power." Sam Starfall
Post by Invictus   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:35 am

Invictus
Commander

Here's a few from Firefly:

Zoe-"No one's saying that, sir."
Wash-"No, it's just significant glances and laughing incessantly!"

Wash- "Agh! Curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal!"

Mal, after winning a duel- "Mercy, is the mark of a great man." (Stabs him in the gut.) "Guess I'm just a good man." (Stabs him again.) "Well, I'm alright."

"When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power." Sam Starfall
Post by Hutch   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:50 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote: These are hillarious Hutch. I simply must visit that site!

What you need to visit is the original webcomic at www.schlockmercenary.com and click the archive and start at the beginning.

One warning--you will probably not be posting here for awhile--the writer (Howard Thayer) has been doing this on-line as a daily comic for over 12 years, IIRC, so there is A LOT of material.

And most of it is wonderful--IMHO of course.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by MaxxQ   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:08 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Invictus wrote:Here's a few from Firefly:

Mal, after winning a duel- "Mercy, is the mark of a great man." (Stabs him in the gut.) "Guess I'm just a good man." (Stabs him again.) "Well, I'm alright."

Speaking of Firefly, anyone see this?:

http://www.thetvaddict.com/2011/04/01/b ... h-firefly/
Post by Hutch   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:31 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

I recently found a site with quotes about writing, and since this site is about one of our favorite writers, well....

The site is at http://www.ritaemmett.com/writers_room_quotes.htm

Writing is easy, you just stare at the paper until little drops of blood appear on your forehead. --- Ring Lardner, Jr.

If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are gone, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing. --- Benjamin Franklin

Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement. Then it becomes a mistress, then it becomes a master, then it becomes a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster, and fling him to the public. --- Winston Churchill

What refuge is there for the victim who is oppressed with the knowledge that there are a thousand new books he ought to read, while life is only long enough for him to attempt to read a hundred? --- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Your manuscript is both good and original; but the parts that are good are not original, and the parts that are original are not good. --- Samuel Johnson

This is not a novel to be tossed lightly aside. It should be thrown with great force.
--- Dorothy Parker

The constant use of long, involved words proves two things: 1) that you're learned, and 2) that you're ignorant of how best to communicate with people.
--- Will Conway

A book is a friend; a good book is a good friend. It will talk to you when you want it to talk, and it will keep still when you want it to keep still--and there are not many who know enough to do that. A library is a collection of friends. ----Lyman Abbott

English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages into dark alleys, beats them up for their words and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

And the quote I wanted to mention in the first place which led me to the treasures above....

I am sitting in the smallest room in my house. I have your review in front of me. Soon it will be behind me. --- Max Reger
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Invictus   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:34 am

Invictus
Commander

I was all excited, I click on the link to the full press release and... get a great big screen of April Fools! :cry:
Should have known it would be too good to be true...

MaxxQ wrote:
Invictus wrote:Here's a few from Firefly:

Speaking of Firefly, anyone see this?:

Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:10 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Invictus wrote:I was all excited, I click on the link to the full press release and... get a great big screen of April Fools! :cry:
Should have known it would be too good to be true...

MaxxQ wrote:Speaking of Firefly, anyone see this?:

<grin> Sorry.
Post by kiddmeier   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:04 pm

kiddmeier
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

When I think of one-liners, the first name that comes to my mind is Lois Bujold. Maybe it's because I so love Miles the Maniac Vorkosigan. On second thought, I find it strange that that first name is not Terry Pratchet, because for me he is the ultimate catch-phrase master ever...but then my mind is a strange place :mrgreen:
Bujold's phrases are on the whole more serious, while Pratchet is almost always utterly hilarious. And anyone who's ever read him knows his underline notes - they are better that the main text from a lot of other writers :lol:

Here are some examples:
L.M. Bujold

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"
followed by
“There is no more hollow feeling than to stand with your honor shattered at your feet while soaring public reputation wraps you in rewards. That's soul-destroying. The other way around is merely very, very irritating.”
and
“Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.”

“Since no one is perfect, it follows that all great deeds have been accomplished out of imperfection. Yet they were accomplished, somehow, all the same.”

Of cource, she can be funny when she chooses to

“Never do yourself, what you can con professionals into doing for you.”

“Oh, was that liquor of yours a stimulant?" asked Elena. "I wondered why he didn't fall asleep."
"Couldn't you tell?" chuckled Mayhew.
"Not really."
Miles twisted his head to take in Elena's upside-down worried face, and smile in weak reassurance. Sparkly black and purple whirlpools clouded his vision. Mayhew's laughter faded. "My God," he said hollowly, "you mean he's like that all the time?”

“Think of the glory. Think of your reputation. Think how great it'll look on your next resume."
"On my cenotaph, you mean. Nobody will be able to collect enough of my scattered atoms to bury. You going to cover my funeral expenses, son?"
"Splendidly. Banners, dancing girls, and enough beer to float your coffin to Valhalla."
- Miles coaxing Ky Tung to agree to an almost suicidal mission”

“The Imperial Service could win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to have to.”

And one of my favorites:

“Miles clutched Quinn's elbow. "Don't Panic."
"I'm not panicking," Quinn observed, "I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining .”

Terry Pratchet (assume a comfortable sitting position, and prepare your face and stomach muscules for a robust exercise)

I'll start with a line that I still remember after 20 years.

“As large as worlds. As old as Time. As patient as a brick.”

It is from "The Light Fantastic" - the second book in the Discworld series and the first Pratchet book I ever read. It is on page one, in the first paragraph. I started laughing there and two pages later had to stop reading, because i literally could not stop laughing - it took me something like 5 minutes to calm down. The line itself is not that hilarious, but it really displays the wicked sense of humor that fills the Discworld. Enjoy :mrgreen:

“If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards!”

“Some pirates achieved immortality by great deeds of cruelty or derring-do. Some achieved immortality by amassing great wealth. But the captain had long ago decided that he would, on the whole, prefer to achieve immortality by not dying.”

“I'm sure you won't dream of trying to escape from your obligations by fleeing the city...'
'I assure you the thought never even crossed my mind, lord.'
'Indeed? Then if I were you I'd sue my face for slander.”

“It is at this point that normal language gives up, and goes and has a drink.”

“It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going round to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.”

“Rincewind tried to force the memory out of his mind, but it was rather enjoying itself there, terrorizing the other occupants and kicking over the furniture.”

“He felt that the darkness was full of unimaginable horrors - and the trouble with unimaginable horrors was that they were only too easy to imagine...”

“The sun rose slowly, as if it wasn't sure it was worth all the effort.”

“Ankh-Morpork! Pearl of cities! This is not a completely accurate description, of course — it was not round and shiny — but even its worst enemies would agree that if you had to liken Ankh-Morpork to anything, then it might as well be a piece of rubbish covered with the diseased secretions of a dying mollusc.”

“...the little man's total obliviousness to all forms of danger somehow made danger so discouraged that it gave up and went away.”

“Do you think there’s anything to eat in this forest?”
“Yes,” said the wizard bitterly, “us.”

“Now, there is a tendency at a point like this to look over one’s shoulder at the cover artist and start going on at length about leather, tightboots and naked blades.
Words like ‘full’, ‘round’ and even ‘pert’ creep into the narrative, until the writer has to go and have a cold shower and a lie down.
Which is all rather silly, because any woman setting out to make a living by the sword isn’t about to go around looking like something off the cover of the more advanced kind of lingerie catalogue for the specialized buyer.
Oh well, all right. The point that must be made is that although Herrena the Henna-Haired Harridan would look quite stunning after a good bath, a heavy-duty manicure, and the pick of the leather racks in Woo Hun Ling’s Oriental Exotica and Martial Aids on Heroes Street, she was currently quite sensibly dressed in light chain mail, soft boots, and a short sword.
All right, maybe the boots were leather. But not black.”

“The demon coughed nervously. Demons do not breathe; however, every intelligent being, whether it breathes or not, coughs nervously at some time in its life. And this was one of them as far as the demon was concerned.”

“My personal theory is that he has a very firm grasp upon reality, it's simply not a reality the rest of us have ever met before.”

“I could use you—if you pass the tests, of course. There are three of them. You have passed the first."
"What are the other—" Hrun paused, his lips moved soundlessly and then he hazarded, "two?”

“Rincewind tried shutting his eyes, but there were no eyelids to his imagination and it was staring widely”

Finally, for the true maniacs, some good sources for additional materiel:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/ ... ter_Bujold

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/ ... _Pratchett

These are the main pages. I would suggest, especially in Pratchet's case, to check for quotes book by book - there may be some missing.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

More from Lois:

Blrrp?

-- Miles' first response to Taura's...proposition

Oh, yes. I've met several of his girlfriends, in fact. The most appalling bunch of bloodthirsty amazons you ever saw. God, they were frightening.

-- Mark, about Elli, Taura and Elena

Four gees? Look, I don't think you appreciate how long we've been living in free-fall. Our faces will migrate around to the backs of our heads and we'll be the only animals in the system with frontbones!

-- Stardance, Spider Robinson

Return to Free-Range Topics...