Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

Non-Honorverse one-liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Non-Honorverse one-liners
Post by cthia   » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I like sub commanders. They don't have time for bullshit. And neither do I.

— President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, movie: Pearl Harbor

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:04 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Saw a great observation on the legions of unskilled workers protesting for a $15.00 minimum wage:
At some point in their lives they should aspire to something more than flipping burgers and salting french fries.
Post by DDHvi   » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:21 pm

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

As C.S. Lewis noted, “We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea.

Lewis also authored three SF novels - well worth reading - and quite a few books which tend to encourage thinking. Of course, thinking can be dangerous - sometimes it results in adopting unpopular opinions ;)

Wuss University :?:
A movement is arising, undirected and driven largely by students, to scrub campuses clean of words, ideas, and subjects that might cause discomfort or give offense.
Last edited by DDHvi on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by DDHvi   » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:32 pm

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

Imaginos1892 wrote:Seen on the Net - latest example of government efficiency: Chicago's combination death certificate and voter registration form.
----------------
Hard work and sacrifice pays off at some indefinite time in the future. Laziness pays off today.

Note the primary difference between an extractive economy and an inclusive one is that the first considers today, and the second considers the long term. Hunter-gatherer is less work at first - until the local game and harvestables are used up. This is why a well handled garden, farm, ranch, and such are how we mostly do things today. We do extra work to make sure replacements are produced.

= Chick Colson
the ultimate test of a worldview is to follow it to its logical extreme.

Many people find it easier to practice the extreme than to test whether their world view might not turn out to be correct :!: :cry:

8-)
Last edited by DDHvi on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:46 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Well, of course you tripped over them -- they're stumbling blocks!
Post by cthia   » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:35 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Well, of course you tripped over them -- they're stumbling blocks!

:lol:

A bumbling idiot stumbled upon some blocks and they were content with each other's company.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Marriage is like playing cards, you start out with a heart and a diamond and you end up wanting a club and a spade. -- Mat Franco, Magician

Post by tinfoil   » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:35 pm

tinfoil
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Larry Hardiman
Post by cthia   » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If it only rains cats and dogs then why is the shit that ever falls on my head always human. :roll:

cthia's wife

Post by Annachie   » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:42 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Live long and suck it

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Free-Range Topics...