Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

Strange things and UFO's

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Strange things and UFO's
Post by Tenshinai   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Be it the flat Earther denying the curvature of the sea ( the stuck in their denial scientist)

Except such people historically only existed in faerytales. The "flat earth" is a MYTH.

That and everything we know now will eventually be proven wrong, by the scientists and scientific method used today to come to these faulty conclusions.

Well there´s your problem, you don´t have a clue what you´re talking about.

#####
Hanuman wrote:Here's the thing, a hundred-fifty years ago NO ONE thought it'd ever be possible to leave Earth's atmosphere, never mind travel to the moon.

Easy on the hyperbole, becase that´s questionable.
Unless you mean that Jules Verne´s "From the Earth to the Moon"(from 149 years ago) is the first ever such story.

But Somnium form 1608 also talks about going to the moon, even if the way to do so is not exactly "science".

And "True History" from 2nd century also puts people on the moon.

Heck, why not take a look at Voltaire´s:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microm%C3%A9gas
It´s amusing.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Has anyone else had a teleportation experience?

or Maybe a Dimensional shift.
Post by The E   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:20 am

The E
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Has anyone else had a teleportation experience?

or Maybe a Dimensional shift.

People have claimed this. Noone has ever proven it.
Post by Zakharra   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:57 am

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:That and everything we know now will eventually be proven wrong, by the scientists and scientific method used today to come to these faulty conclusions.

Not exactly. They will still likely be true, we will just find the subclauses and newer/better/more accurate ways of measuring (it). Newton's Laws are accurate as long as they are applied properly, but when you start getting into places like space and the curvature of gravity fields and such, the laws of gravity acquire some subclauses and properties that Newton never dreamed of, but this doesn't mean his laws are inaccurate, just incomplete.
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Zakharra wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:That and everything we know now will eventually be proven wrong, by the scientists and scientific method used today to come to these faulty conclusions.

Not exactly. They will still likely be true, we will just find the subclauses and newer/better/more accurate ways of measuring (it). Newton's Laws are accurate as long as they are applied properly, but when you start getting into places like space and the curvature of gravity fields and such, the laws of gravity acquire some subclauses and properties that Newton never dreamed of, but this doesn't mean his laws are inaccurate, just incomplete.

Most of what we know are actually lies.

Most societies have people paid to tell those lies.

They are called Teachers.
And they lie to children.

As for the lies? They are how we explain the universe to children and, as they grow up, we replace the starting lies with the more accurate explanations as they mature enough to understand.

Perhaps some day we will fully understand the universe.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Zakharra   » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:11 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Michael Everett wrote:
Zakharra wrote: Not exactly. They will still likely be true, we will just find the subclauses and newer/better/more accurate ways of measuring (it). Newton's Laws are accurate as long as they are applied properly, but when you start getting into places like space and the curvature of gravity fields and such, the laws of gravity acquire some subclauses and properties that Newton never dreamed of, but this doesn't mean his laws are inaccurate, just incomplete.

Most of what we know are actually lies.

Most societies have people paid to tell those lies.

As for the lies? They are how we explain the universe to children and, as they grow up, we replace the starting lies with the more accurate explanations as they mature enough to understand.

We're talking about science, not fairy tales. I'd hardly call the scientific progress we have made and base our civilization on as 'lies', when it's founded on solid scientific fact. We know why planes can fly, why and how computers work, why sunlight and water is good for plants and a multitude of other things. Yes we don't know everything and our full understanding of science is immeasurable short of the full total, but that doesn't mean what we do know and use is all lies.
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Zakharra wrote:We're talking about science, not fairy tales. I'd hardly call the scientific progress we have made and base our civilization on as 'lies', when it's founded on solid scientific fact. We know why planes can fly, why and how computers work, why sunlight and water is good for plants and a multitude of other things. Yes we don't know everything and our full understanding of science is immeasurable short of the full total, but that doesn't mean what we do know and use is all lies.

And yet we still tell children that the Atom is like a solar system in that the electrons orbit the nucleus just like the planets orbit the sun...
~~~~~~

Post by Zakharra   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Michael Everett wrote:
Zakharra wrote:We're talking about science, not fairy tales. I'd hardly call the scientific progress we have made and base our civilization on as 'lies', when it's founded on solid scientific fact. We know why planes can fly, why and how computers work, why sunlight and water is good for plants and a multitude of other things. Yes we don't know everything and our full understanding of science is immeasurable short of the full total, but that doesn't mean what we do know and use is all lies.

And yet we still tell children that the Atom is like a solar system in that the electrons orbit the nucleus just like the planets orbit the sun...

Saying it that way helps people new to the knowledge imagine the basic idea of the atom. It can get them thinking about it, which isn't a bad thing. It -starts- the process, it starting out at the Dr. Seuss level and then you work up to the more sophisticated information.

But to say everything we teach is lies is being absurd.
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:49 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Zakharra wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:And yet we still tell children that the Atom is like a solar system in that the electrons orbit the nucleus just like the planets orbit the sun...

Saying it that way helps people new to the knowledge imagine the basic idea of the atom. It can get them thinking about it, which isn't a bad thing. It -starts- the process, it starting out at the Dr. Seuss level and then you work up to the more sophisticated information.

But to say everything we teach is lies is being absurd.

But most bits of early education are lies. They just happens to be a lie that they can understand until it is replaced with a lie closer to the truth.
After all, what five-year-old can understand quantum physics? Can a six-year-old truly understand how environmental pressures are related to evolution? Will a four-year-old fully comprehend the rich and varied history that most societies have?
No.
So they are fed a highly-simplified version at first which is later replaced by a more complex version.
Hence - Lies to children.
(The bit in red is a link.)
~~~~~~

Post by Emo Otaku   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:56 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

Michael Everett wrote:Most societies have people paid to tell those lies.

This is an example of one such lie,

when I was a lad, we were taught that ol' Chris Columbus set off on his voyage of discovery despite the learned men and church of the time telling him the earth was flat.

This is not exactly the case, these learned men new the earth was round, and actually had a fairly close idea of its size.

The main problem they had with the voyage was that Chris and all of his crews would have staved to death LONG before they reached India (which was what they where trying to do), and it was only the accidental discovery of the Americas that saved them.

And I would guess that this version is also wrong on several important aspects of the events
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane

Return to Free-Range Topics...