Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

Ranting about Microsoft and Tech Support in India

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Ranting about Microsoft and Tech Support in India
Post by Spacekiwi   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:24 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Could have been a drive by or redirection. legitimate website unknowningly infected, spreads whatever, whenever you connect. nasty stuff those.

smr wrote:I went to a normal website and avast anti virus went off. I do not if website was infected or the website was under construction and the anti virus went off as a result.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by Joat42   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:17 am

Joat42
Admiral

Spacekiwi wrote:Could have been a drive by or redirection. legitimate website unknowningly infected, spreads whatever, whenever you connect. nasty stuff those.

smr wrote:I went to a normal website and avast anti virus went off. I do not if website was infected or the website was under construction and the anti virus went off as a result.

The most common infection-vector these days are the ads which is why it's a good idea to use an ad-blocker and no-script for your browser.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Daryl   » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:14 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Today is Father's Day in Australia (different days around the world). My lot have decided to get me a SSD (Solid State Disk). As usual they didn't get their act together so it will be here in a few days. Any advice on setting up my PC with it from our resident geeks would be appreciated.
Tech details - PC has 64 bit Win 7 (Win 8 retro replaced), CPU i5, 8GB memory, 4 SATA 3 + 2 SATA 6 drive connections, SATA DVD R/W, two of 2TB internal SATA drives, plus 1.5TB external USB3 drive, and a USB bridge for about 8 IDE HDs for archiving.

I've reduced the SATA 2TB C hard drive with Windows etc down to 350GB, and intend to ghost the whole contents across to the new 512GB SSD, then to mark it as the boot disk.
Any suggestions as to possible pitfalls, or how to maximise performance afterwards will be appreciated.
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Any advice on setting up my PC with it from our resident geeks would be appreciated.

Make sure you have AHCI activated in BIOS, if it doesn´t want to boot if you switch that, you need to add the drivers to windows before activating it.

Aaand that´s about the only thing i can think of right now that you need to know.

If you want to make sure, ask on a big techsite forum like anandtech.com or pcper.com .

Overall though, SSDs tend to be easy to work with so there shouldn´t be much required.
Post by smr   » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:43 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

I hate Microsoft with such a passion! I have an old dell 505 with 2 gigs of Ram. The purpose of the laptop is to get on line when I am bored and use the computer to troubleshoot other computers. In June, I uninstalled Java and tried to install Java 7.55....I received that Sun no longer supports XP. They could have put that little nugget of information in the instructions before I uninstalled the program. I tried searching the net for the solution to the problem. Luckily, I use Mozilla and did not really have any trouble due to Java plug in within Mozilla. FYI: I checked for virus's with Avast and malware bytes!

Recently, I kept having Microsoft Silverlight fail. Well Netflix recommends uninstalling Microsoft Silverlight and reinstalling. Of course.....there is an error reinstalling. I tried editing the registry, registry cleanup programs...etc...etc...same problems and now Mozilla is constantly restarting.

At this point, it was down to new operating system, fixing the problem, or new equipment. On September 14, 2014, I went to filehorse.com and download Microsoft silverlight and Java. They both installed without any errors. I hate Microsoft, the 800 lb gorilla in the room that is eyeballing me for the next meal! Microsoft hands off my wallet! For people that like Microsoft Office, Open office is a good alternative. Linux is looking beter and better!
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:28 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

smr wrote:I hate Microsoft with such a passion! I have an old dell 505 with 2 gigs of Ram. The purpose of the laptop is to get on line when I am bored and use the computer to troubleshoot other computers. In June, I uninstalled Java and tried to install Java 7.55....I received that Sun no longer supports XP. They could have put that little nugget of information in the instructions before I uninstalled the program. I tried searching the net for the solution to the problem. Luckily, I use Mozilla and did not really have any trouble due to Java plug in within Mozilla. FYI: I checked for virus's with Avast and malware bytes!

Recently, I kept having Microsoft Silverlight fail. Well Netflix recommends uninstalling Microsoft Silverlight and reinstalling. Of course.....there is an error reinstalling. I tried editing the registry, registry cleanup programs...etc...etc...same problems and now Mozilla is constantly restarting.

At this point, it was down to new operating system, fixing the problem, or new equipment. On September 14, 2014, I went to filehorse.com and download Microsoft silverlight and Java. They both installed without any errors. I hate Microsoft, the 800 lb gorilla in the room that is eyeballing me for the next meal! Microsoft hands off my wallet! For people that like Microsoft Office, Open office is a good alternative. Linux is looking beter and better!

If you want to switch to Linux, I can give you a complete set of instructions for downloading and installing Fedora 20.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:01 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

I know some distros have an iso you download onto a usb, leave it in and restart, and it starts the setup for you. cant remember which ones though. Ubuntu and its deriatives are supposed to be useful, and thes Lubuntu, a slimmed down Ubuntu for old laptops as well. OR Xubuntu, for an even slimmer experience, if i got them the right way round.
Imaginos1892 wrote:
smr wrote:I hate Microsoft with such a passion! I have an old dell 505 with 2 gigs of Ram. The purpose of the laptop is to get on line when I am bored and use the computer to troubleshoot other computers. In June, I uninstalled Java and tried to install Java 7.55....I received that Sun no longer supports XP. They could have put that little nugget of information in the instructions before I uninstalled the program. I tried searching the net for the solution to the problem. Luckily, I use Mozilla and did not really have any trouble due to Java plug in within Mozilla. FYI: I checked for virus's with Avast and malware bytes!

If you want to switch to Linux, I can give you a complete set of instructions for downloading and installing Fedora 20.
`

its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:24 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Daryl wrote:Today is Father's Day in Australia (different days around the world). My lot have decided to get me a SSD (Solid State Disk). As usual they didn't get their act together so it will be here in a few days. Any advice on setting up my PC with it from our resident geeks would be appreciated.
Tech details - PC has 64 bit Win 7 (Win 8 retro replaced), CPU i5, 8GB memory, 4 SATA 3 + 2 SATA 6 drive connections, SATA DVD R/W, two of 2TB internal SATA drives, plus 1.5TB external USB3 drive, and a USB bridge for about 8 IDE HDs for archiving.

I've reduced the SATA 2TB C hard drive with Windows etc down to 350GB, and intend to ghost the whole contents across to the new 512GB SSD, then to mark it as the boot disk.
Any suggestions as to possible pitfalls, or how to maximise performance afterwards will be appreciated.

The best thing is a raid 5 or raid 6 option it will maximise the speed and the safe back up of the data. SSD when they die and they do die just stop no warning given. If you are going to do a raid system used a dedicated external raid card. Also check the cable anytime you have a failure as I have had a number of bad modern cables. Never had IDE cable problems.
Post by smr   » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:23 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Status Update:

Bought a new Used laptop! It was cheap and runs. The old laptop had multiple. I had some malware that was not being picked up by Malware bytes. Second, Xp had a problem with the windows installer! Fixed that problem. Boy do I wish I kept the original XP with sp3 disk. That would have saved me some time and heart ache! Third, the malware replaced my Mozilla profile. Finally, I found the right article that helped me. To be fair to Microsoft, some of the previous problems occurred because of the Malware. This malware is able bypass User Account Control and install itself seamlessly without informing the user. (I blame the NSA for that fault but it does not make it true.) So now my stepson gets his own laptop!

I still want to try some version of Linux. Maybe...double boot with windows 7!

Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

smr wrote:Status Update:

Bought a new Used laptop! It was cheap and runs. The old laptop had multiple. I had some malware that was not being picked up by Malware bytes. Second, Xp had a problem with the windows installer! Fixed that problem. Boy do I wish I kept the original XP with sp3 disk. That would have saved me some time and heart ache! Third, the malware replaced my Mozilla profile. Finally, I found the right article that helped me. To be fair to Microsoft, some of the previous problems occurred because of the Malware. This malware is able bypass User Account Control and install itself seamlessly without informing the user. (I blame the NSA for that fault but it does not make it true.) So now my stepson gets his own laptop!

I still want to try some version of Linux. Maybe...double boot with windows 7!

You probably want to upgrade the hard drive anyway, so you could get a new drive - 500GB notebook drives are going for $50 - $60. Prepare a Live USB flash drive (instructions are available on most Linux distribution sites), swap in the new drive and install. You will always have the old drive if you want to go back into the fetid swamp that is MS-WIN-BLOWS.

My preferred Linux is Fedora, with the MATE desktop. If you want to try that, I can provide more detailed directions.
----------------------
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here - this is the War Room!

Return to Free-Range Topics...