Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Ranting about Microsoft and Tech Support in India

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Ranting about Microsoft and Tech Support in India
Post by mark   » Fri May 31, 2013 2:03 am

mark
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

CaptCaveman wrote:One of the problems we're running into now with performance is our ability to compile and run heavily multi-threaded programs. We have big multi-core chips but the available compilers just aren't designed to make use of heavy multi-threading. I figure they'll improve them sooner or later but I'll be happy as long as they don't tell me I have to start programming in LISP again. :o

Naah, they'll invent some entirely new languages, just for the fun of it.. (I should know, I've done such a thing once or twice)

But slightly more seriously (only slightly), we'll probably need a new batch of languages that, because of some features and lack of some other features, are more conductive to multi-threading optimisations.
Re: Ranting about Microsoft & Tech Support in India 2.0 prob
Post by smr   » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:10 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Microsoft 2.0 Product was registered in April 2013

Microsoft 7
Build 70..
This windows is not a genuine product

message appeared on 9/25/2013

I spoke to 4 microsoft technicians. The first 2 technicians did not even open an issue. I rate them a 1. The third technician spent an hour trying to go through the problem and do a telephone activation. She was unable to help but did give an honest effort. The rating in a scoring system of 7 based on a 1 thru 10 score. The technician escalated by issue to level 2. The final technician then remoted in. After trying various reg edits, he finally gave me a new product key and fixed the problem.

In summary:
technicians 1 & 2 --- rating of 1 out of 10
did not even open an issue. Gave me the spiel of a $250 potential charge! :evil:

technician 3 --- rating of 7 out of 10 very nice and polite but ultimately could not fix the issue. The score would have been 10 if she had fixed the problem. However, she advanced to level 2 support. 8-)

technician 4 --- rating of 10 out of 10 spoke very little but fixed the problem. Then he made sure the product was registered. Last, open notepad and typed the new product key in and saved it on my computer. :D

What I have learned by dealing with Microsoft technicians. Explain what the problem is and then be quiet. Do not give them any extra information. This process does not give the microsoft employees or contractors a legal, technical, or terms of service excuse to close the issue or issues!
Post by biochem   » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:18 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

I had this same problem. But my experience was a little different. The first technician gave me the new product key. I'm praying the problem doesn't reoccur. Is this some sort of windows bug (or a "feature").
Post by Spacekiwi   » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

biochem wrote:

I had this same problem. But my experience was a little different. The first technician gave me the new product key. I'm praying the problem doesn't reoccur. Is this some sort of windows bug (or a "feature").

Its a 'security' feature(DRM). apparently some companies just copy and clone a windows activation onto multiple computers before selling them. when the computer detects this, it loses functionality until an unused activation code is used to reactivate it. or you use winsat remover.....
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by smr   » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:23 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

My issue was that a motherboard on the computer started acting up after a severe electrical storm. As a result, I had reinstall windows 7 from the disks. Thank God, I made sure that mult-volume license for windows 7. Due to Microsoft removing hot swapping for windows 7 version, the company forced me to reinstall all software.

Now, my parents had a rogue32 virus a couple of weeks ago. The program was deleted by the old fogies. I speculate that the virus might have erased something in registry due to this new problem! Since, April I really have not had an issue until yesterday. What I have found is some technicians have alot of experience (usually are good) and some have none that use terms of service to hide their inexperience and lack of knowledge.

It's kind of funny that I have installed windows 7 on 3 machines. Two of the machines no problems whatsoever and the 3rd machine has been the bane of my existence.
Post by Thucydides   » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Thucydides
Captain of the List

smr wrote:It's kind of funny that I have installed windows 7 on 3 machines. Two of the machines no problems whatsoever and the 3rd machine has been the bane of my existence.

Well, if it is a Dell you could always experiment by loading OS-X and making it into a "Hackintosh". People who get it right have the power and versatility of a Mac without the high pricetag....
Post by Daryl   » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:18 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Had the hard drive in my laptop die a week ago (registry problem)(hadn't used it for two months). Bought a new hard drive which was easy to fit, but then couldn't get Windows 7 up with the recovery discs (apparently there has to still be some windows left). Used the Win 7 disc from my desktop PC but put the code off the laptop's sticker in. Seems to have activated perfectly, then took many hours downloading the updates and other programs.
I'd been away since 26 July, but from my AVG pro records my desktop PC had repelled a Trojan hider.wvm at this time, although it had entered the laptop at the same time until dragged out with a scan. Possibly that was the culprit.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:42 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Most of these problems can be avoided by not registering your code but rather just activating the internal software with the applicable key code.

When you upgrade hardware the product software then sees the correct activation code reports this and solves your problem. Just don't hook up to the net when you do this activation. Then when you do hook up it says activation recognized and you don't register.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:59 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

When I worked for a large international corporation as onsite tech support we had in the company off site help desk support located 1 time zone and 3000 miles away. Who would solve most problems allowing us to do the work we normally would have to do. Although we were constantly being emailed by help desk support to solve specific problems with the usual people. Mostly the wrong password or people who couldn't figure out that email was not the ftp server. Or the out of memory people who always managed to fill their hard drives. (Back then big hdd's maxed at 4GB's, 9 for SCSI).

Although there was always the people who never ever had problems but who always had the best computers which were the ones we always borrowed. Which always belonged to the hottest women. Except for one blonde girl who's desk was in an emi efi field and no matter what we did would always never work no matter how many times we replaced it. Of course the fridge magnet lady always had problems too.

Most common password in summer, yeah summer.
Post by Thucydides   » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:35 pm

Thucydides
Captain of the List

Back when I worked IT we also had a hilarious problem in a warehouse complex. It seemed that most mornings between 1000hr and 1100hr one leg of the LAN would go out, then restart. The timing was variable, and whenever the tech guys got there, they couldn't find anything wrong.

Finally one of the smart guys decided to get to the warehouse complex before 1000hr and wait. Walking down the hall, he heard the obligatory cursing as the network went down, and rapidly moved from office to office, In one office, a worker was enjoying a cup of tea and seemingly unaffected by the outage. Looking under the desk, the tech discovered the local hub had been unplugged so the tea kettle could be plugged in.....

Later that day my gang showed up with spools of CAT 5 cable, an electrician and a new network hub cabinet to bolt on the wall outside the office.

Return to Free-Range Topics...