Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Ranting about Microsoft and Tech Support in India

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Ranting about Microsoft and Tech Support in India
Post by smr   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:38 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

IE 11 was just updated and is now not working. I can roll back the whole system and it works perfectly till it updates. Maxthon, Goggle, and Firefox browsers work perfectly. So, I call up Microsoft and get tech support from India after 40 minute wait for a return phone call because high demand. All they want to do is charge me for a tech support call after they killed the browser with update. My parents are prepared to go over to Apple. I have trying for years to convince my family to transition over to Apple products. They use the iphone and ipad3. Thank You Microsoft for all the terrible customer service and support. Goodbye! Adios! Don't Let the Door Hit You on the Way Out!
Post by smr   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:55 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Within the last week, I have received 2 phone calls from false tech support! I noticed that they get real flustered when I say I am running a Linux operating system. The first time I said I running Apple and he still tried to get me to log onto the system! They gave a false name...a false return #...a false employee ID#...and a false company name.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Use Google or opera or take your pick. The very first thing you do is disable or remove IE. It is always buggy.

I use windows 7 with manual updates and I pick them out carefully. Generally very stable.

I use Google chrome.

I might switch over to Apple, if like Europe I could just buy the Apple OS. The hardware is all the same, except for some ports.
Post by Fireflair   » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:53 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Apple stuff is nice, generally very stable. Pricey, though And limited. Hardware and software wise.

My personal preference is for Linux/Unix based systems. Though I do use a Win 7 system for a great deal of my work and play. It's stable, and secure. While allowing me to use most hardware I want. And to tinker with the program environment, something that Apple products don't allow for.

That last being my biggest gripe about Apple products, really.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

I feel apple is the ultimate form of modern consumer products, in as much as it is aimed at the mainstream.
Apple has focused on building as friendly an interface as it can for consumers, to remove all the fiddling around. With apple, you can be pretty sure it'll work, and there'll be no problems using it with any other device that is also apple.
AS well as ease of use, they also have the aesthetics. The design is simple, and uncluttered.
Finally, they have good quality. Not the best, but good enough for most.

Windows may beat it in many situations, and be cheaper, or more powerful in situations, but the range in quality, aesthetics, and power of windows machines can confuse mainstream buyers. For mainstream buyers, wanting emails, facebook and the like, apple is just simpler.

I quite like using windows, just for the amount of programs I use that support it, and the abundance of word, excel, and powerpoint pretty much requires office on every computer nowdays.

I tend to use all 3 myself, having a home Mac for ripping movies for the family collection, and emails and net at home for mum and dad, while i run a windows laptop for most uni stuff, and some nix blends for coding stuff, and to play around with. It all comes down to your needs i suppose.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:08 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Apple has focused on building as friendly an interface as it can for consumers, to remove all the fiddling around. With apple, you can be pretty sure it'll work, and there'll be no problems using it with any other device that is also apple.

Yup.

I quite like using windows, just for the amount of programs I use that support it, and the abundance of word, excel, and powerpoint pretty much requires office on every computer nowdays.

Well, you can find free alternatives to that for both windows AND Linux, so that´s a moot point really.
AND, you can get Linux that looks like windows if you want it(like Zorin that emulates Win 7, except faster... :mrgreen: ).

It all comes down to your needs i suppose.

Yeah, just wish windows wasn´t so frequently annoying, stupid or inflexible.
Especially W8 is just astoundingly idiotic.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:55 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Yeah win 8 looks annoying, although being as everything i use is attached to my start bar or i use the search bar to find it, the look isnt too bad for me. its more the loss of functionality in the backup, and the loss of priveleges through uac, and other security measures like that i dont particularly like. That, and trying to emphasize touch screens for desktops and laptops was never going to work. above 13' or so and touch screens get to be a hindrance/.

Tenshinai wrote:Yeah, just wish windows wasn´t so frequently annoying, stupid or inflexible.
Especially W8 is just astoundingly idiotic.
`

Post by Emo Otaku   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:06 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

One of my friends was thinking about buying a Mac

and instead bought a PC, a PS4 and a tablet and still had money left over
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane
Post by Spacekiwi   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

What are the specs of the computer though? Because you can buy a computer here for like 800, as opposed to the 2800 or so for a basic mac, but the mac will have far superior specs, plus the ability to link with any future apple product you buy without hassle.

Not denying they arent extremely expensive though, although part of that is brand, part is aesthetics, and part is the form factor and specs. a comparable in specs pc of similar form factor (Asus All-in-One ET2300INTI-B034) costs about 2600, so its only 350 or so more for the mac, which actually has slightly better specs.
Emo Otaku wrote:One of my friends was thinking about buying a Mac

and instead bought a PC, a PS4 and a tablet and still had money left over
`

Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:11 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Spacekiwi wrote:What are the specs of the computer though? Because you can buy a computer here for like 800, as opposed to the 2800 or so for a basic mac, but the mac will have far superior specs, plus the ability to link with any future apple product you buy without hassle.

Not denying they arent extremely expensive though, although part of that is brand, part is aesthetics, and part is the form factor and specs. a comparable in specs pc of similar form factor (Asus All-in-One ET2300INTI-B034) costs about 2600, so its only 350 or so more for the mac, which actually has slightly better specs.

:shock:

I found an IMac@3.2Ghz for a price that translates to about 2200$ if i use direct currency conversion, which is usually not accurate, more like 1800$ with more realistic conversion...
A 2.7Ghz iMac comes in at 1500$, direct conversion. About 1300$ realistic.

And that Asus all-in-one? WTF? 2600$ for that?
B75 motherboard, lowend.
23" TFT screen, sucks. I can get a decent 27" IPS at 250$, and a quality one at 350$.
GF630M Gfx? Seriously, a lowend mobile gfx card in a system that pricey?
1TB HDD? At that price i wouldn´t accept anything less than SSD+HDD setup. A high performance 1TB HDD is less than 130$.
8GB of SODIMM RAM!? Why is this system called a desktop when it uses laptop parts?
And rounding it off with a i5 3330? Uh, midrange cpu at best.

I´m currently looking at a new computer, which at it´s most expensive would cost HALF of that ASUS system. But would include:
SSD+HDD for max performance and storage size, probably 240GB+3TB.
Z97 motherboard.
32GB highend DDR3, somewhere from 1866 to 2400 speeds.
i7 4790K or i5 4690K highend cpu.
Probably reusing my current 6770 gfx, but getting a new card wouldn´t add more than 150$.

And here i´m usually annoyed at getting so much worse prices than you can get in Netherlands or UK... :?

Return to Free-Range Topics...