Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

John Ringo MIA

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
John Ringo MIA
Post by Mycall4me   » Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:41 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

It's been a while since I've posted this question, so I thought I'd try again. Whst's happened to John Ringo? The last solo project was book four in the Black Tide Rising universe. And if I never see any more collabs in that universe I'll be quite happy

The last thing I've seen/heard about with Ringo, is his "Into the Real" books. Baen also did an interview with him and Lydia Sherrer for the first of that series. After watching that interview, I left a comment asking about him, and his whereabouts, and lack of solo projects. Baen answered that comment with a "good news, we'll be posting about it on the site soon" that was a year ago, and as far as I know, nothing has been posted or announced

The "Into the Real" books were quite good, although just a little bit YA. Which surprised me when I think about his freewheeling "Ghost" books. Which kind of makes me wonder about how much he actually contributed in that collab.

So, has anybody heard ANYTHING about Ringo?
Re: John Ringo MIA
Post by Fireflair   » Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:26 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Into the Real was his last published book, but he has also started working through a subscription set up using Substacks. He puts out two chapters a week to his paid subscription people. ($50/year) You're guaranteed 3 books per year, which is about the same as buying the books. If you just sign up for the newsletter from him you will get one chapter a week for free.

The Substacks stuff is not curated or edited, so it lacks polish and some clarity that comes after editing. I am enjoying the series he's started there.
Post by Mycall4me   » Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:27 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Fireflair wrote:Into the Real was his last published book, but he has also started working through a subscription set up using Substacks. He puts out two chapters a week to his paid subscription people. ($50/year) You're guaranteed 3 books per year, which is about the same as buying the books. If you just sign up for the newsletter from him you will get one chapter a week for free.

The Substacks stuff is not curated or edited, so it lacks polish and some clarity that comes after editing. I am enjoying the series he's started there.

What is "Substacks"? And where do I find it? Also he has a newsletter? I will have to do a search for both.

You also imply that his serialized (by chapters) books are really good. Will they be published (by self publishing maybe?) as books for sale to the mass market? He would be doing himself a diservice if he didn't. One of my favorite authors (Ilona Andrews) serializes on her blog (a chapter a week) a series called Inn Keeper, and after the book is finished, they put it together as a self published book,and they sell VERY WELL. The last one even included a extra chapter, that added an extra kick.

What btw are his books about, hopefully not zombie books!
Post by Joat42   » Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:00 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Mycall4me wrote:What is "Substacks"? And where do I find it? Also he has a newsletter? I will have to do a search for both.

In simple terms Substack is a blog-site. You can find Ringo here: https://johnringoauthor.substack.com/

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Fireflair   » Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:37 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Mycall4me wrote:
Fireflair wrote:Into the Real was his last published book, but he has also started working through a subscription set up using Substacks. He puts out two chapters a week to his paid subscription people. ($50/year) You're guaranteed 3 books per year, which is about the same as buying the books. If you just sign up for the newsletter from him you will get one chapter a week for free.

What is "Substacks"? And where do I find it? Also he has a newsletter? I will have to do a search for both.

You also imply that his serialized (by chapters) books are really good. Will they be published (by self publishing maybe?) as books for sale to the mass market? He would be doing himself a diservice if he didn't. One of my favorite authors (Ilona Andrews) serializes on her blog (a chapter a week) a series called Inn Keeper, and after the book is finished, they put it together as a self published book,and they sell VERY WELL. The last one even included a extra chapter, that added an extra kick.

What btw are his books about, hopefully not zombie books!

The series is about a boy who gains super-powers and how he deals with the screwed up world he lives in. Super powered people are well known, and governments deal with them differently. There is also a secret society of ass hats he has to deal with as well.

There's a fair bit of political commentary and social commentary throughout the books.

So far there are four books, I believe. And I do think that he intends to release them as a self-published book series, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Return to Free-Range Topics...