Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests

Honorverse Style Ships in Starfield

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Honorverse Style Ships in Starfield
Post by SalamanderT   » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:26 am

SalamanderT
Midshipman

I'm going to take an educated guess that fans of the Honorverse are going to be interested in Starfield...

Early access for Starfield begins in a few days, and I'm really excited to pilot some Honorverse-inspired Battle Cruisers, Dreadnoughts, or even Super Dreadnoughts.

Where could I get some information, tech specs, or potential models to try and replicate some Manticoran ships in Starfield?
Re: Honorverse Style Ships in Starfield
Post by Joat42   » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:17 am

Joat42
Admiral

There's some publications containing info about the ships. You can check out Jayne's Intelligence Review.

There are copies available on Amazon for example, but there are other places where they can be found.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by selden   » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:34 am

selden
Ensign

Way back in 2011, Ensign Re-read and I collaborated on some Addons for Celestia, one of which included a simplistic model of a Nike-class battleship. I could provide a copy of the original Anim8or model file if that's of interest. I should be able to export it to .OBJ format if necessary.

Celestia is a free 3D astronomical visualization program. See https://celestiaproject.space

Anim8or is a free 3D graphics design and animation program for Windows. See https://www.anim8or.com

The Celestia Addons illustrating some of David's books are available at https://www.classe.cornell.edu/%7Eseb/c ... index.html

The models in the Addons are in Celestia's proprietary CMOD format, so not of much use in other software. The battleship is included in the Manticore Addon.

The thumbnail below links to a much larger screengrab of Anim8or, showing the Nike model.

Post by Dilandu   » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:53 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Hint: the best design for Starfield spacecraft is a large skeleton frame with all modules on periphery and big empty space in center.

The reason - game opponent's AI is always targeting the center of player's ship. So if the center of the ship is empty, the majority of enemy fire would just fly through, without damaging anything.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)

Return to Free-Range Topics...