Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Kehoe's legacy...

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Kehoe's legacy...
Post by Joat42   » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:25 pm

Joat42
Admiral

https://gizmodo.com/half-of-americans-e ... 1848618519
Overall, they estimated that childhood lead exposure in the U.S. resulted in a collective drop of 824 million IQ points, or almost three points on average per person.

Of course, the study is for US alone so there is no comparative studies I know of for other countries.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Re: Kehoe's legacy...
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

And to think kids of my day used to make homemade tattoos out of the lead in lead pencils. You take a number 2 pencil and draw your design very heavily on a piece of paper. You trace over it over and over to make it very dark. Then you wet the area of your skin (usually by licking it) where you wish to apply your homemade design and hold it down until the skin absorbs the lead, transferring the image.

Some kids had a nasty habit of sucking and biting on the business end of a lead pencil.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by jontom   » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:16 pm

jontom
Ensign

The "lead" in pencils is graphite, a form of carbon.

cthia wrote:And to think kids of my day used to make homemade tattoos out of the lead in lead pencils. You take a number 2 pencil and draw your design very heavily on a piece of paper. You trace over it over and over to make it very dark. Then you wet the area of your skin (usually by licking it) where you wish to apply your homemade design and hold it down until the skin absorbs the lead, transferring the image.

Some kids had a nasty habit of sucking and biting on the business end of a lead pencil.
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:24 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the reply jontom. I was shocked to hear that. I don't know why they ever called them lead pencils because a quick search shows they were never made of lead.

But that is good, because I helped apply a few of those tattoos. However, the same site did say that the paint used to color the pencils did contain lead, up until 1940. Before my time, but I doubt the habit of chewing on pencils started with my era. Oh well.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by phillies   » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:06 pm

phillies
Admiral

They were made with 'Spanish Lead', also known as graphite.

cthia wrote:Thanks for the reply jontom. I was shocked to hear that. I don't know why they ever called them lead pencils because a quick search shows they were never made of lead.

But that is good, because I helped apply a few of those tattoos. However, the same site did say that the paint used to color the pencils did contain lead, up until 1940. Before my time, but I doubt the habit of chewing on pencils started with my era. Oh well.

Return to Free-Range Topics...