Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Disney screwing over Alan Dean Foster

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Disney screwing over Alan Dean Foster
Post by Joat42   » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:20 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Disney is screwing ADF by not paying him royalties for the books they are selling. The argument is that when Disney bought Lucas Arts + Fox, they got the rights but not the liabilities for the books.

Cory Doctorow has enumerated the whole story here: https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1329240238816858120

I shouldn't be surprised, it's Disney's typical MO but so much more flagrant.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Re: Disney screwing over Alan Dean Foster
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:37 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Given how the virus has combined with several bad decisions (the Star Wars Galaxy's Edge has massively failed to live up to the hype, for instance), Disney has massive cashflow issues.

Combined with their regular bare-knuckle legal stances, it's no wonder they're trying to squeeze every nickel that can.

But, yeah. This ain't gonna end well for Disney.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Annachie   » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:50 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I can see Disney trying the "delay the case until the plaintiff dies" tactic.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Senior Chief   » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

Joat42 wrote:Disney is screwing ADF by not paying him royalties for the books they are selling. The argument is that when Disney bought Lucas Arts + Fox, they got the rights but not the liabilities for the books.

Cory Doctorow has enumerated the whole story here: https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1329240238816858120

I shouldn't be surprised, it's Disney's typical MO but so much more flagrant.

Looked him up after reading the post.... NEVER heard of him and have not read any of his books... I guess he does not write anything that may interest me. Still not surprised about Disney.
Post by Joat42   » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:41 am

Joat42
Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:Looked him up after reading the post.... NEVER heard of him and have not read any of his books... I guess he does not write anything that may interest me. Still not surprised about Disney.

For someone who hasn't read or heard of him, dismissing him and his works out of hand as uninteresting is...an interesting way to reason.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Fireflair   » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:44 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Senior Chief wrote:Looked him up after reading the post.... NEVER heard of him and have not read any of his books... I guess he does not write anything that may interest me. Still not surprised about Disney.

He's novelized a bunch of movie scripts (primarily what the Disney problem is centered around), but he's also done a fair bit of other works as well. The Pip and Flinx adventures were a great comfort to me when I was younger, as I found them entertaining. And his Taken trilogy was quite good. He's writing more in the style of the older pulp sci-fi/fantasy.

The Damned trilogy reminds me in many ways of a series I read later by John Ringo about aliens coming to earth to have us fight their wars for them.

He's definitely worth a look at reading, especially as his backlist can be picked up for pretty cheap or even free at some times.
Post by busterlima   » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:37 pm

busterlima
Midshipman

This is disgusting. Ive been a fan of fosters works since I stumbled across the damned trilogy. he doesnt deserve this injustice.

Return to Free-Range Topics...