Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Any new music? New bands?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Any new music? New bands?
Post by Mycall4me   » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:47 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

So I'm doing some research on yt to make up a new playlist for my mp3 player. My music preference is female fronted bands, and I was revisiting song catalogs for some of the artists that I already have in my playlist, and I opened up a mix with one of those groups, well, because that group were a female fronted band, everything in the mix were also female fronted bands, I was very pleased to find 31 new bands (for me) to research for more new music.
Ok, I'm going to get to the point now. I was really impressed, and quite happy to have found a group called Fireflight. Their music genre's are Christian Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative Metal, and Electro Pop (what the hell is Electro Pop?) Two of those genres are the kind of music I prefer (hard rock, and alternative metal) So I gave them a try. As it turns out, even if I've never tried Christian Rock or Electro Pop, I was totally impressed with the vast majority of their music catalog. Surprisingly, I really couldn't separate any kind of genre differences in any of their songs, so it looks as if I like all four of their genre styles. I would have never guessed it! (Although I still don't know what Electro Pop is :D )
They've released four albums, so there was a lot of new music I picked up to add into my next play list. If any of those music genre's are your thing I urge you to check them out. :D

I really enjoyed (and it's still getting new posts) the "Who is your favorite guitarist ?" topic, there were all kinds of interesting posts, and I'm hoping that this topic will spark the same kind of interest. So have at it gang!
Re: Any new music? New bands?
Post by The E   » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:16 am

The E
Admiral

If you're going Electro, you might want to give CHVRCHES a listen. They're very good.

CHVRCHES - Clearest Blue

I personally really like Aurora

Aurora - Running with the wolves

And PVRIS
PVRIS - My House

Swerving hard into a more proggy/djenty sort of direction, we have Destiny Potato/Sordid Pink:

Destiny Potato - Indifferent

Or, to go more into a metalcore direction, Dream State:

Dream State - New Waves

Speaking of metalcore, there's actually some surprising stuff coming out of asia these days:
Windrunner - Sakura
mildrage - Armeria

And, for something completely different, here's a band that is simultaneously the least metal a band can be and the most metal band around:

Heilung - In Maidjan
Post by Joat42   » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:31 am

Joat42
Admiral

May I recommend Sheer Mag

Home-page: http://www.sheer-mag.com

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:10 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Have you tried Anaïs Mitchell?
Her music spans from the very cutting edge to Child's Ballads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEf6Oas5Htg

Mycall4me wrote:So I'm doing some research on yt to make up a new playlist for my mp3 player. My music preference is female fronted bands, and I was revisiting song catalogs for some of the artists that I already have in my playlist, and I opened up a mix with one of those groups, well, because that group were a female fronted band, everything in the mix were also female fronted bands, I was very pleased to find 31 new bands (for me) to research for more new music.
Ok, I'm going to get to the point now. I was really impressed, and quite happy to have found a group called Fireflight. Their music genre's are Christian Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative Metal, and Electro Pop (what the hell is Electro Pop?) Two of those genres are the kind of music I prefer (hard rock, and alternative metal) So I gave them a try. As it turns out, even if I've never tried Christian Rock or Electro Pop, I was totally impressed with the vast majority of their music catalog. Surprisingly, I really couldn't separate any kind of genre differences in any of their songs, so it looks as if I like all four of their genre styles. I would have never guessed it! (Although I still don't know what Electro Pop is :D )
They've released four albums, so there was a lot of new music I picked up to add into my next play list. If any of those music genre's are your thing I urge you to check them out. :D

I really enjoyed (and it's still getting new posts) the "Who is your favorite guitarist ?" topic, there were all kinds of interesting posts, and I'm hoping that this topic will spark the same kind of interest. So have at it gang!
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by WeberFan   » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:25 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Not a NEW group, but I've recently started to listen to Nightwish out of Finland?

WOW!

Talk about power rock.

And their female lead, Floor Jansen has a voice that REALLY has to be heard to be appreciated. A true Valkyrie...

Their full concert (live) can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9eKLPCciWw. It's an hour and a half of imagination-inspiring power.

Highly, highly recommended!
Post by The E   » Fri May 01, 2020 9:14 am

The E
Admiral

WeberFan wrote:Not a NEW group, but I've recently started to listen to Nightwish out of Finland?

WOW!

Talk about power rock.

And their female lead, Floor Jansen has a voice that REALLY has to be heard to be appreciated. A true Valkyrie...

Their full concert (live) can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9eKLPCciWw. It's an hour and a half of imagination-inspiring power.

Highly, highly recommended!

Nightwish aren't bad, really, but kinda boring? I've been listening to them for years now, through all their singer changes and their increasing production values, and the one thing I took away from that was that they went deeper and deeper into being self-indulgent and pretentious. Earlier in their career (literally 19 years ago!), they did bangers like this cover of Over The Hills And Far Away or Wish I had an Angel or End of All Hope; their new stuff I just can't really get behind.

Partially, this is due to me changing, of course; I simply appreciate stuff like the more classical Power Metal of LOVEBITES or the over-the-top ridiculousness of acts like Wind Rose or Temperance or the brutality of acts like later-day Lacuna Coil or the many-layeredness of Periphery more than the melodrama and theatricality of Nightwish et al....
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Fri May 08, 2020 4:22 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Mycall4me wrote:So I'm doing some research on yt to make up a new playlist for my mp3 player. My music preference is female fronted bands, and I was revisiting song catalogs for some of the artists that I already have in my playlist, and I opened up a mix with one of those groups, well, because that group were a female fronted band, everything in the mix were also female fronted bands, I was very pleased to find 31 new bands (for me) to research for more new music.

So I thought of what you asked this morning as I was listening to a college radio station http://www.wumb.org/home/index.php and this thought occurred to me much (almost all) of the popular music today can be traced back to influences that are almost 100 years old like The Allman Brothers covering Blind Willie McTell there is a very long list WUMB can be streamed free anywhere but they are a listener supported station featuring Folk/Roots/Americana music and they could lead you to a surprise or three.
You like Christian Rock, it came from Gospel Music
You like hard rock... check out their roots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezPZxfS1jys

Just my 2¢
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Nergion   » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:10 pm

Nergion
Midshipman

Haiduk - death metal focused on fantasy & medieval themes.

From the new album Diabolica:

Haiduk - Wraithavoc

-
Post by Nergion   » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:34 pm

Nergion
Midshipman

One more from Diabolica

Haiduk - Morph
Post by Panzer   » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:37 am

Panzer