Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Covid-19 and Our Pets

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Covid-19 and Our Pets
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:50 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What will America do if it is determined that our pets indeed pose too much of a risk to us? Will we have to kill off an entire species? Will people put their beloved companions to rest? Will the government have to step in and ensure compliance?

C D C

While 2 dogs (Hong Kong) and 1 cat (Belgium) have been reported to have been infected with SARS-CoV-2, infectious disease experts and multiple international and domestic human and animal health organizations agree there is no evidence at this point to indicate that pets spread COVID-19 to other animals, including people.

If you are not ill with COVID-19, you can interact with your pet as you normally would, including walking, feeding, and playing. You should continue to practice good hygiene during those interactions (e.g., wash hands before and after interacting with your pet; ensure your pet is kept well-groomed; regularly clean your pet’s food and water bowls, bedding material, and toys).

Out of an abundance of caution, it is recommended that those ill with COVID-19 limit contact with animals until more information is known about the virus. Have another member of your household take care of walking, feeding, and playing with your pet. If you have a service animal or you must care for your pet, then wear a facemask; don’t share food, kiss, or hug them; and wash your hands before and after any contact with them.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Covid-19 and Our Pets
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

How do we quarantine our Lassies. She can't care for herself without interaction with us.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:12 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Kids are out of school for the rest of the year. That means more interaction of our kids with our pets. Kids, who aren't exactly keen on the transmission of viruses.

Post by Daryl   » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:43 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Sort of like saying don't go outside in case you are struck by lightening or a meteorite. Sure in theory it just might maybe happen, but in reality it is nothing to worry about.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:38 pm

TFLYTSNBN

It would bother me a lot less to exterminate some of my human neighbors.
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:37 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:It would bother me a lot less to exterminate some of my human neighbors.

Given many of your previous posts, this does not surprise me in the slightest.

Unfortunately.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:59 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

My point is that the CDC itself doesn't seem exactly sure of certain facts, how can they be sure? We are still flying blind with this virus. OTOH, you are expected to use common sense. The odds of being struck by lightning is very small. But the odds go waaaay up if you stand under a tree in the middle of a lightning storm.

Licking and kissing our dogs who lick and kiss everything they encounter while on walks is a lightning storm.

Post by Daryl   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:27 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

No argument there. If you observe where a dog's tongue goes you will not let it kiss or lick you. I'm close to my dog, but not that close.

cthia wrote:My point is that the CDC itself doesn't seem exactly sure of certain facts, how can they be sure? We are still flying blind with this virus. OTOH, you are expected to use common sense. The odds of being struck by lightning is very small. But the odds go waaaay up if you stand under a tree in the middle of a lightning storm.

Licking and kissing our dogs who lick and kiss everything they encounter while on walks is a lightning storm.
Post by doug941   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:46 am

doug941
Commander

There reports out today that a Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo (New York City) has tested positive for Covid-19 and that up to six other big cats may also be ill.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52177586
Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The tiger is believed to have been infected by an asymptomatic employee. Asymptomatic people are problematic. It is lucky for them, but not so much for the people caught in their wake.

A bit of common sense . . .

It was unlikely Covid-19 would jump from bats to humans. Yet it did. How did it do so? I don't know for a fact, but I can speculate it was provided the perfect storm.

If it was able to "jump" from bats to humans, surely it can jump from dogs and cats to humans if given the perfect storm. We aren't nearly as close to bats as we are to our pets. Engagingly close. Licking and kissing our pets who are infected or who have just licked something infected is the perfect storm . . .

Virus: How can I get to that human from this dog. I can't "jump" that far. I need a bridge. Ahhh! You didn't tell me you would carry me there on your tongue. A tongue bridge! How quaint!"

We Americans keep such a close proximity to our pets. And there are millions of them here. We even interact with our neighbor's pets. We are the most prolific pet owners in the world. How many dogs are in China?

Return to Free-Range Topics...