Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Self proclaimed one-liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Self proclaimed one-liners
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The only thing worse than seeing a stupid ignorant fool is the mirror agreeing with you.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:24 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Whoever said ignorance is bliss is obviously a voter.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by DDHv   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:06 am

DDHv
Captain of the List

The invisible hand of the market always creates more efficiencies than the most brilliant of central planners.

Note that supercomputers today are not built with one very capable processor. They are built with less capable processors working in parallel. This is because the choke point is the ability to handle large amounts of data.

The economy is a complex system. It is likely that data choke will ruin all attempts at top down control. Besides which, big shots aren't always that capable :lol:

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever,
unless you test your assumptions :!: :!: :!:
Last edited by DDHv on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by DDHv   » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:09 am

DDHv
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Please, exercise your right to an informed vote.

That way, when government's big dog bites you in the ass, you'll have the peace of mind that you at least tried to avoid it.

And who knows, you may just help save a piece of your ass, along with your peace of mind.

All law is enacted morality.

Even a crooked official will behave when he knows he is watched.
Tip of the hat to Robert A Heinlein's "Citizen of the Galaxy."

If they can’t cheat and steal elections, they’ll have a much harder time winning elections.

Note that with many elected officials, it is critical to remind them of their campaign promises.

or: How can they represent us if we don't tell them what our choice is? Preferably an INFORMED one ;) See below :!:

According to "multiple GOP sources," the National Journal reports, a new Republican proposal circulating in the House sets forth that "any Republican who votes on the House floor in January against the conference's nominee for House speaker -- that is, the candidate chosen by a majority of the House GOP during the closed-door leadership elections in November -- would be severely punished. Specially, sources say, any dissenters would be "stripped of all committee assignments for that Congress."

"Severely punished"? "Dissenters" will be "stripped"? This sounds less like a U.S. Congress than an old Soviet Politburo with a hint of gulag. Which means the fight isn't over.

Intention has a direct effect on outcome, by and large.

If a federal tax on cigarettes deters smoking, does a federal tax on earnings deter working?

May you live in interesting times!
Said to be a Chinese curse.
Last edited by DDHv on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

I'm in favor of gridlock. The more time they spend wrangling, the less damage they are likely to do. Gods save us from an efficient government.
-------------------
EVERYBODY denies it's a conspiracy -- that proves it IS one!
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:26 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:I'm in favor of gridlock. The more time they spend wrangling, the less damage they are likely to do. Gods save us from an efficient government.

Wasn't it Will Rogers who said, "Thank God we don't get all the government we pay for" :lol:
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by DDHv   » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:19 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

Now, it is time for our newly elected Congress to do what they told us they were going to do.

Our lawmakers in Washington need to actually fight for the principles they vowed to defend when they were asking for our votes.

Nuff said
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, the qualities and abilities needed to win elections are nothing like those required to do the job. In fact, the mental aberrations that make somebody actually want to go through a political campaign pretty much guarantee that we get some really lousy excuses for "leaders".
----------------------
Why do the politicians keep calling their runaway government spending "investment"?
Because "flushing your tax money down a rat-hole" just wouldn't play well?
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

My now 13-yr-old niece.
He's a few bricks short of a fireplace no smoke coming out the chimney no fire in the hearth and no wood to make any.

Post by Caliban   » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:44 am

Caliban
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Can't remember when I first heard this, but it does strike me as apropos;

1. An honest politician is a contradiction in terms
2. A dishonest politician is a double negative
3. you can always tell when a politician is lying; their
mouth is moving.
May we all be saved from well intentioned, efficient politicians with a cause to serve.

And, overheard in a bar conversation before his passing:
Hell, let's re-elect Nixon; at least we know he's a crook!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
====================================

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A Fool speaks because he has to say something."

Return to Free-Range Topics...