Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Self proclaimed one-liners

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Self proclaimed one-liners
Post by DDHv   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:12 am

DDHv
Captain of the List

how can anyone who witnesses evil but does nothing to stop it be called innocent?

"For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23, Bible
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:14 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

DDHv wrote:
how can anyone who witnesses evil but does nothing to stop it be called innocent?

"For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23, Bible

Try it today and they'll lock you up instead of the evil-doer. Or, as I said earlier:
If you call 9-1-1 and tell them that somebody with a gun is breaking into your house, they will send two cops in 10 or 15 minutes. If you tell them that somebody is breaking into your house and YOU have a gun, they will send 10 or 15 cops in two minutes.

You will do more time for shooting a burglar than the burglar would for shooting you.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:56 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:You will do more time for shooting a burglar than the burglar would for shooting you.

Only in the People's republic of California. In Arizona, as long as the body falls inside the house, no problem.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:08 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

13-yr-old niece's early morning text
Any Many Miny Mo.
If Mo ever ran for Presidency, he'll win by a landslide.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by cthia on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

12 Years a Slave and nothing to show for it yields stupidity that'll come back and shoot up the schools.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:31 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If hindsight is 20/20; you should see your ass getting kicked all twenty times.

Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Schools across the country are becoming war zones. Suddenly, I understand how Haven's education system could lag so far behind Manticore's. It's hard to concentrate with ordnance whizzing by your head.

The most popular app will soon become DroneBuddy. A student's phone controls a highly effective recon drone that circles school grounds sending an early warning message to the phone and realtime perp video.

Beverly Hills Schools will waive FCC license.

So many schools are being shot up, that now, the smart kids are skipping.

Stop, drop and roll may also prevent unfriendly fire.

Unfortunately, being late for school may save your life.

Suddenly, kids have a foolproof excuse to lay out.

"Mom, I can't go to school today, I'm feeling sick."

"What, you have a fever?"

"No, a premonition."

Suddenly, being sent to military school is appealing.

Necessity has changed PTA meetings into Preventing Terrorist Attacks.

Generation after generation of threatening to send our kids to military school has prompted the kids to arm.

I never thought spit balls would turn into bullets.

Now the smart students are the ones sitting in the rear of the class — away from the door.

A conscientious parent has to do an hour of recon before dropping off their kids.

Now when a girl sees a bulge in her boyfriend's pants, she calls the police.

The most popular school subject taught could now be P.E. (Physical Escape)

What a great time to be a popular student now, you're always standing in the midst of other shields.

Every student vies for teacher's pet, just in case the teacher is a shooter.

With School Shootings Routine, Parents Turn To Bulletproof Backpacks, Child Clothing

As CEO of the Massachusetts-based company Bullet Blocker, Burke sells one of the hotter goods in the body armor industry: bulletproof backpacks. And though he doesn't revel in the fact that business tends to boom after school shootings, he sees his company as providing a service for increasingly nervous parents.

Bullet Blocker's co-founder, Joe Curran, built his first bulletproof backpack for his two kids after the mass shooting at Columbine High School in 1999. He realized the commercial potential, and began manufacturing backpacks and other school safety products for a wider audience. Today, Bullet Blocker produces iPad cases, notebooks, and school bag survival kits ($400 -- advertised as a "great self contained kit to augment the reaction plans for school lock downs").

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/1 ... 97428.html

Maybe the top of desks should be made bullet proof, and kids taught to drop and roll desks.

In my day, kids were drilled to hide under desks for safety from nuclear attacks from Russians. Nowadays, it is our very own citizens gone from postal to nuclear. And safety under desks might not be a lie, now.

Post by DDHv   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:24 am

DDHv
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Schools across the country are becoming war zones. Suddenly, I understand how Haven's education system could lag so far behind Manticore's. It's hard to concentrate with ordnance whizzing by your head.

So many schools are being shot up, that now, the smart kids are skipping.

Many of the smarter parents are now home schooling. Not just because of violence - the average for home schooled kids runs about 10% above the national average. It is hard to produce an excuse for not doing your homework if you are living with the teacher :!: :lol: Research shows that time spent trying to improve is the best predictor of good learning, but many kids do not like to practice. If common core is used, the home schooling increment is likely to jump. Northstar had a comment on how they handled the educational dysfunction, I forget where, if you can find it, read it! BTW, another good read is Ben Carson's biography, "Gifted Hands." For this discussion, the item about his brother is well worth looking at. His brother hated algebra in high school, did his best to have his mother allow him to skip something which would be useless for him. He grew up to be an aerospace engineer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our elementary school was good, but my parents checked out our learning, and supplemented when needed. I remember one summer when it was not possible to enjoy the first few weeks of summer vacation - I was being drilled in something which should have been learned in school. :o

Start with yourself, it’s the best place to begin, and yields the greatest return.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:28 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Trouble likes to find idiots and ignorance is a homing pigeon, but stupidity is a beacon.

Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:40 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

DDHv wrote:snip

Many of the smarter parents are now home schooling. Not just because of violence - the average for home schooled kids runs about 10% above the national average. It is hard to produce an excuse for not doing your homework if you are living with the teacher :!: :lol: Research shows that time spent trying to improve is the best predictor of good learning, but many kids do not like to practice. If common core is used, the home schooling increment is likely to jump. Northstar had a comment on how they handled the educational dysfunction, I forget where, if you can find it, read it! BTW, another good read is Ben Carson's biography, "Gifted Hands." For this discussion, the item about his brother is well worth looking at. His brother hated algebra in high school, did his best to have his mother allow him to skip something which would be useless for him. He grew up to be an aerospace engineer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
snip

We home schooled our daughter for high school in the late 90's, primarily because the year she was to start the 9th grade, one of the school board members advocated disbanding the Academic Bowl team at the high school (which routinely vied for best in the state) and using the money saved to hire more football coaches (for a team that routinely missed the state playoffs) so that "more of our students can get athletic scholarships to the University of Tennessee". My wife and I decided we didn't want that idiot deciding what our daughter would be taught.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Free-Range Topics...