Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Shadow of Freedom

This is the place where we will be posting snippets of soon-to-be published works!
Re: Shadow of Freedom
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:51 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Kytheros wrote:Technically, I think it might be possible. At least, atmospheric flight, for brief periods, and at low velocities. Why you'd ever need to is beyond me, however.
As for basing ... while I think it is theoretically possible, it'd be far too inefficient and far too great a drain on the thruster bunkerage.
...snip...

Well I suppose if you figured out a way to catapult launch them and then to catch them for landing.

A hand held impeller drive missile has a wedge 10's of meters across. A CM is 10 km across but its oversized for the 12.5 ton mass. How big is it for a 20,000 ton mass. That is how deep a hole you are going to divide into its componet molecules every time the impellers are lite off if they can light off.

Though now that I really think about it all you need is enough contergrav plates for that 20,000 ton mass. So anything is possible. Wonder how many missiles and other stuff you give up for that many plates? Doesn't seem all that effcient as why else do pinnaces have the airfoils in the first place.

Seems a lot easier to just base them in space.

Probably more than anyone wanted or needed to know, Including me.
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Thirdbase   » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:32 am

Thirdbase
Admiral

thinkstoomuch wrote:
Kytheros wrote:Technically, I think it might be possible. At least, atmospheric flight, for brief periods, and at low velocities. Why you'd ever need to is beyond me, however.
As for basing ... while I think it is theoretically possible, it'd be far too inefficient and far too great a drain on the thruster bunkerage.
...snip...

Well I suppose if you figured out a way to catapult launch them and then to catch them for landing.

A hand held impeller drive missile has a wedge 10's of meters across. A CM is 10 km across but its oversized for the 12.5 ton mass. How big is it for a 20,000 ton mass. That is how deep a hole you are going to divide into its componet molecules every time the impellers are lite off if they can light off.

Though now that I really think about it all you need is enough contergrav plates for that 20,000 ton mass. So anything is possible. Wonder how many missiles and other stuff you give up for that many plates? Doesn't seem all that effcient as why else do pinnaces have the airfoils in the first place.

T2M

The only thing is we have this from AAC:

The system's G-6 primary floated at the display's center, orbited by the innermost cinder—which had never attained the dignity of an actual name, aside from Lovat I—and then the planets Furnace, Forge, and Anvil. At seven light-minutes from the primary, Forge, the system's only habitable world, would have enjoyed a pleasant climate, if not for its pronounced axial tilt. Although, to be fair, if you liked severe seasonal weather changes (which MacNaughton didn't), Forge was still a lovely world.

and...

Just over eight thousand LACs were based on Forge and the system's orbital platforms. A permanent covering force of three battle squadrons—admittedly, of pre-pod types, but still a total of twenty-four superdreadnoughts—was assigned, and the system was liberally blanketed with system defense missile pods. In the last six months, Lovat had also received not just one Moriarty platform, but three, the second pair to serve solely as backups for the first.

There is a quote that says they based LACs on a planet.
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by Spacekiwi   » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:41 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Thirdbase wrote:
thinkstoomuch wrote:
...snip...

T2M

The only thing is we have this from AAC:

The system's G-6 primary floated at the display's center, orbited by the innermost cinder—which had never attained the dignity of an actual name, aside from Lovat I—and then the planets Furnace, Forge, and Anvil. At seven light-minutes from the primary, Forge, the system's only habitable world, would have enjoyed a pleasant climate, if not for its pronounced axial tilt. Although, to be fair, if you liked severe seasonal weather changes (which MacNaughton didn't), Forge was still a lovely world.

and...

Just over eight thousand LACs were based on Forge and the system's orbital platforms. A permanent covering force of three battle squadrons—admittedly, of pre-pod types, but still a total of twenty-four superdreadnoughts—was assigned, and the system was liberally blanketed with system defense missile pods. In the last six months, Lovat had also received not just one Moriarty platform, but three, the second pair to serve solely as backups for the first.

There is a quote that says they based LACs on a planet.

Aircraft carrier style?
except the impeller doesnt kick in until its left the atmosphere? superstrong countergrav maybe, or a railgun launch system, and a countergrav net to catch the lacs which shut down and just drop onto the counter grav.?
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Emo Otaku   » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:23 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

I think we are possibly being too literal when discussing this.

Saying that the LACs were based On Forgeis like saying HMS Invincible is based in Southhampton, Yes it can go in and out of the harbour (or Orbit in the case of the LACS) but its not gonna go cruising through the shopping centre.
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane
Post by Thirdbase   » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:35 am

Thirdbase
Admiral

Emo Otaku wrote:I think we are possibly being too literal when discussing this.

Saying that the LACs were based On Forgeis like saying HMS Invincible is based in Southhampton, Yes it can go in and out of the harbour (or Orbit in the case of the LACS) but its not gonna go cruising through the shopping centre.

I should have bolded more:

ust over eight thousand LACs were based on Forge and the system's orbital platforms.

It is specifically separating the planet and orbital platforms.
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by Kytheros   » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Thirdbase wrote:
Emo Otaku wrote:I think we are possibly being too literal when discussing this.

I should have bolded more:

ust over eight thousand LACs were based on Forge and the system's orbital platforms.

It is specifically separating the planet and orbital platforms.

It could be that those "based on Forge" are from platforms orbiting Forge itself, while those from "the system's orbital platforms" are from more spread out platforms, such as an asteroid belt, other planets, etc., to provide wider coverage of LAC bases, since Havenite LACs have extremely limited endurance; we also know that Manticoran doctrine has LACs based on the inhabited planet's platforms and platforms further out, mixed in with mining platforms and other platforms beyond the inhabited planet's gravity well, it's probable that Havenite doctrine has something similar.
Post by Emo Otaku   » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:40 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

I keep popping back here int he hopes of more snippets but... :(

Oh well I'll just have to look forward to, and keep waiting for the next one :)
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane
Post by Bernd   » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:04 pm

Bernd
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Please Sir could I have some More?!!!!!!!!
Post by darrell   » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:15 am

darrell
Rear Admiral

Kytheros wrote:
Montrose Toast wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:Out of curiosity after reading this and passages from other books, are LACs capable of atmospheric flight and on planet basing?

All descriptions indicate no. They are orbital base or ship based and have never landed planetside. The extra tonnage for systems to support atmospheric flight would be hard to shoehorn in...

Technically, I think it might be possible. At least, atmospheric flight, for brief periods, and at low velocities. Why you'd ever need to is beyond me, however.
At any rate, they'd completely screw up any flight plans in the general area of their ground stations.

Far more efficient to base the LACs in space, and use conventional small craft to supply and support their bases from dirtside or orbital stations.

You could put counter grav into a LAC to allow it to land planetside without a wedge of thruster, but I agree with you that it would be better to keep the LAC's based in space.
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.
Post by Kytheros   » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:32 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

darrell wrote:
At any rate, they'd completely screw up any flight plans in the general area of their ground stations.

Far more efficient to base the LACs in space, and use conventional small craft to supply and support their bases from dirtside or orbital stations.

You could put counter grav into a LAC to allow it to land planetside without a wedge of thruster, but I agree with you that it would be better to keep the LAC's based in space.

Well you could, technically, yeah ... but the necessary contragrav unit(s) to both lift the LAC the necessary amount and provide redundancy would take up a hefty amount of mass that you'd probably prefer to have available for other purposes.

Return to Snippets