Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Shadow of Freedom

This is the place where we will be posting snippets of soon-to-be published works!
Shadow of Freedom
Post by Duckk   » Thu May 26, 2011 11:03 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Copied from the Honorverse forum:

A short passage from Shadow of Freedom. The person speaking is Mike Henke (just introduced by Khumalo) addressing the Talbott war cabinet and Governor Medusa:

"Thank you, Sir," Michelle replied with rather more formality than had become the norm between her and the man who commanded Talbott Station. Then it was her turn to look around the table, making eye contact with the men and women responsible for the Quadrant's governance.

"Essentially," she began, "our problem is that while Admiral Khumalo and I believe we've decisively demonstrated our combat superiority, we simply don't have enough hyper-capable units to cover the entire Quadrant. I doubt anyone back at Admiralty House is any happier about that than we are, although I'll grant our unhappiness has a little more immediacy than theirs does. Unfortunately, I don't see any way the deployment priorities are going to change anytime soon. Given the combination of what's happened to the home system, the fact that we have no reason to believe at this time that the Sollies have an additional force anywhere near the size of Crandall's in our own vicinity, and the activation of Case Lacoön, there simply aren't any more ships for the Admiralty to send our way.

"So we have to make do with what we have, and while neither Admiral Khumalo nor I like that situation, it's one Queen's officers have had to deal with more often than we'd like to remember.

"After careful consideration, we've concluded that the best use of our current forces will be to cover each system of the Quadrant with four or five LAC squadrons for local defense, backed up by a couple of dispatch boats. The LACs should be more than adequate to deal with any 'pirate' stupid enough to come this way, and given what we've seen of SLN technology, they also ought to be able to deal with any Solly raiding force that doesn't include a core of capital ships. Given Crandall's losses, it's unlikely there are enough Solarian capital ships anywhere near the Quadrant to provide that kind of force. Obviously, that's subject to change — possibly without much warning — but even in a worst-case scenario, the local-defense LACs should be able to at least delay and harass any attackers while one of the dispatch boats goes for help.

"I realize there's been some thought of splitting up our own capital ships in order to give our star systems greater protection."

She carefully didn't look in the direction of the two men sitting on either side of Samiha Lababibi. Antonio Clark, from the Mainwaring System, was the Quadrant's Minister of Industry, while Clint Westman, a Montanan cousin of the famous (or infamous) Stephen Westman, headed the Ministry of the Interior. On the face of it, they should have been almost as unlikely allies of an oligarch like Lababibi as Krietzmann once had been, but the nature of their responsibilities gave them a certain commonality of viewpoint. Inevitably, all three were worried — deeply — about what would happen if the Quadrant's star systems were hit by anything like the Yawata Strike. Westman and Clark, especially, had argued in favor of dispersing Tenth Fleet to give every star system at least some protection. After all, they'd pointed out, the decisive superiority of the Manticoran Navy had been conclusively demonstrated, so the traditional risks of defeat in detail for dispersed units must be less applicable than usual.

Lababibi had found herself in the same camp, although she'd been a rather less fervent spokeswoman for their position.

"There are several reasons we're not proposing to do that," Michelle continued. "The two most important ones, though, are that dispersing our capital ships wouldn't provide any appreciable increase in system security against the sort of attack which hit the home system, but it would disperse the powerful, concentrated striking forces it's vital to maintain to respond to any fresh Solarian activity in our area.

"At the moment, the Admiralty and ONI are still working on how the Yawata Strike was launched. From the information available so far, Admiral Hemphill is more convinced than ever the attack relied on a new, previously unknown drive technology. In effect, we believe the attackers were 'invisible' to our normal tracking systems. So far, at least, no one's been able to suggest how whatever drive they used might work or how we might go about figuring out how to detect it in the future. In the meantime, however, analysis also suggests the attackers were probably operating in relatively small forces, relying on their cloak of invisibility rather than raw combat power. I realize that may sound absurd, given the damage inflicted, but I assure you that if a single podnought — or even a couple of Nike-class battlecruisers — had been able to get into range of the inner system totally undetected, that would have been ample to have inflicted all of that damage.

"My point is that the problem in Manticore wasn't lack of combat power or lack of defenses; it was the inability to see the enemy coming. Scattering wallers around the Quadrant's star systems isn't going to appreciably increase our ability to detect these people. We can deploy enough remote sensor platforms — in fact, we're already in the process of deploying them — to give each of our systems more detection capability than an entire squadron of SDs could provide. The LACs will give us large numbers of manned combat platforms to chase down and prosecute possible contacts; the dispatch boats will be available to send for help in the case of an attack in strength; and we'll be deploying enough missile pods in planetary orbit to provide the long-range missile firepower of at least a pair of SD(P)s in each system. We won't have the sort of sustained firepower superdreadnoughts could provide, or the area missile defense they could offer, but we'll have enough to deal with anything short of a Solly battle squadron, assuming we see it coming."
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Re: Shadow of Freedom
Post by robert132   » Mon May 30, 2011 7:22 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

"After careful consideration, we've concluded that the best use of our current forces will be to cover each system of the Quadrant with four or five LAC squadrons for local defense, backed up by a couple of dispatch boats. The LACs should be more than adequate to deal with any 'pirate' stupid enough to come this way, and given what we've seen of SLN technology, they also ought to be able to deal with any Solly raiding force that doesn't include a core of capital ships. Given Crandall's losses, it's unlikely there are enough Solarian capital ships anywhere near the Quadrant to provide that kind of force. Obviously, that's subject to change — possibly without much warning — but even in a worst-case scenario, the local-defense LACs should be able to at least delay and harass any attackers while one of the dispatch boats goes for help.

Famous last words?

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by robert132   » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:51 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Duckk, is there any word on when Shadow of Freedom might be released?

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by pokermind   » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:43 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

This is now the current book not in print, well if you include ARCs so I'll post to bring it where it belongs.
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by rdt   » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:00 pm

rdt
Commodore

pokermind wrote:This is now the current book not in print, well if you include ARCs so I'll post to bring it where it belongs.

Pokermind, what are you saying? What do you mean? I am parsing the post and getting no information. Help!
Post by pokermind   » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:14 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

rdt wrote:
pokermind wrote:This is now the current book not in print, well if you include ARCs so I'll post to bring it where it belongs.

Pokermind, what are you saying? What do you mean? I am parsing the post and getting no information. Help!

Since ART is now an ARC and all other snippets are from books in print only Shadow of Freedom is yet to be available as a book or ARC. Sorry sometimes stroke riddled brain's thoughts are not clear.

runsforcelery wrote:
pokermind wrote:Image

Hope you and yours have a merry one. PS thanks for recommending Dragon Naturally Speaking in your FAQs,I figured if a professional used it I should, but I use it's read feature more than its typing.

And Merry Christmas back to you. And raise you a Happy New Year, too!

See I even flubbed a PM to RFC should have written "Hope you and yours have merry ones." Oops

PS. To the Duckk: Why the hell aren't current snippets with latest comments moved to the top as in other Forums?
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by XAos   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:37 am

XAos
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Yawata Strike ???

Is that in ART ?

It's clearly an attack by a spider drive ship.
Post by Thirdbase   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:35 am

Thirdbase
Admiral

XAos wrote:Yawata Strike ???

Is that in ART ?

I believe she is talking about the destruction of Yawata Crossing(?) during the Pearl Harbor, er Oyster Bay attack. Manticore not knowing the MAN name, has named it after the city destroyed. The same way, the US refers to the Hawaii Operation or Operation AI, as Pearl Harbor.

Out of curiosity after reading this and passages from other books, are LACs capable of atmospheric flight and on planet basing?
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by Montrose Toast   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Montrose Toast
Commodore

Thirdbase wrote:

Is that in ART ?

I believe she is talking about the destruction of Yawata Crossing(?) during the Pearl Harbor, er Oyster Bay attack. Manticore not knowing the MAN name, has named it after the city destroyed. The same way, the US refers to the Hawaii Operation or Operation AI, as Pearl Harbor.

Out of curiosity after reading this and passages from other books, are LACs capable of atmospheric flight and on planet basing?

All descriptions indicate no. They are orbital base or ship based and have never landed planetside. The extra tonnage for systems to support atmospheric flight would be hard to shoehorn in...
"Who Dares Wins"
Post by Kytheros   » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:50 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Montrose Toast wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:

Is that in ART ?

All descriptions indicate no. They are orbital base or ship based and have never landed planetside. The extra tonnage for systems to support atmospheric flight would be hard to shoehorn in...

Technically, I think it might be possible. At least, atmospheric flight, for brief periods, and at low velocities. Why you'd ever need to is beyond me, however.
As for basing ... while I think it is theoretically possible, it'd be far too inefficient and far too great a drain on the thruster bunkerage.
At any rate, they'd completely screw up any flight plans in the general area of their ground stations.

Far more efficient to base the LACs in space, and use conventional small craft to supply and support their bases from dirtside or orbital stations.

Return to Snippets