Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

A Rising Thunder

This is the place where we will be posting snippets of soon-to-be published works!
Re: A Rising Thunder
Post by rdt   » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:31 pm

rdt
Commodore

jchilds wrote:Clearly, they need to send us the manuscript so we can all proofread it for him :)

Very, very good idea. However, fat chance!
Post by BrightSoul   » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:52 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:
Hehe, yeah you wish... That´s really why there should be an endless amount of work for people like me, proofreaders. Except it´s become standard to use the closest to your suggestion that exists, and the result has of course been that the quality of language in newspapers, in movies and on tv has gone far beyond "down the drain"...

The problem with automated stuff is that it´s dumb, as long as something looks potentially correct, it calls it fine.
For example, i´ve been reading a bit over at fanfiction.net lately, and you can totally see which ones are using spellcheckers, who are using grammar checking software and who´re actually good at language...

You aren't kidding about fanfiction.net, there are a few stories that would be far more readable with a competent proof reader. I've come across more than a few good story ideas that I just couldn't bear to read because the writing was so bad.
Post by FriarBob   » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:34 am

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

rdt wrote:
jchilds wrote:Clearly, they need to send us the manuscript so we can all proofread it for him :)

All of us, yes. But maybe if we are extremely lucky the MWW might someday decide to allow a select few of us to help him.

Even that isn't terribly likely, but it's far more likely than the original idea.
Post by grendel_one   » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:37 am

grendel_one
Captain (Junior Grade)

FriarBob wrote:
rdt wrote:

All of us, yes. But maybe if we are extremely lucky the MWW might someday decide to allow a select few of us to help him.

Especially the select few who pay for the privilege by joining the WPN.

(And thus can be held to more legally binding NDAs and whatnot)
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

BrightSoul wrote:
You aren't kidding about fanfiction.net, there are a few stories that would be far more readable with a competent proof reader. I've come across more than a few good story ideas that I just couldn't bear to read because the writing was so bad.

Something i must add to that though is that many writers there seem to have problems with the site reformatting their text, making matters far worse.

Return to Snippets