Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

A Rising Thunder

This is the place where we will be posting snippets of soon-to-be published works!
Re: A Rising Thunder
Post by FriarBob   » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:49 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

rdt wrote:
NervousEnergy wrote:
Alistair wrote:Don't expect another snippet for at least another six months

Hmm... I thought I read either an interview or a tweet from the MWW not long ago where he estimated that the first book of the split up Rising Thunder would be out by the end of this year.

Check the Baen Publishing Schedule. It goes through Jan. 2012 with no mention of Rising Thunder. Alas...

It's possible he was guessing and was just wrong.

As long as the eARC is out within the next few months, I won't complain TOO loudly...
Post by Alistair   » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:02 am

Alistair
Rear Admiral

[/quote]
Hmm... I thought I read either an interview or a tweet from the MWW not long ago where he estimated that the first book of the split up Rising Thunder would be out by the end of this year.[/quote]
Check the Baen Publishing Schedule. It goes through Jan. 2012 with no mention of Rising Thunder. Alas...[/quote]

It's possible he was guessing and was just wrong.

As long as the eARC is out within the next few months, I won't complain TOO loudly...[/quote]

heres hoping!
Post by iranuke   » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:01 pm

iranuke
Commander

Some things just bug me, like where something is stated as fact in one book and then changed in the next book. An example is that in "Mission of Honor" in Chapter 19 in the second paragraph they talk about a "twelve light hour limit" which is "recognized by centuries of intersteller law" and then in this snippet it talks about a twelve minute teritorial limit. this sort of stuff drives me nuts, its easily fixable, yet doesn't get fixed in a lot of cases. A convienient fix in this case would be to just say that the terminus is fifteen light hours out instead of five.
Post by Tenshinai   » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

iranuke wrote:Some things just bug me, like where something is stated as fact in one book and then changed in the next book. An example is that in "Mission of Honor" in Chapter 19 in the second paragraph they talk about a "twelve light hour limit" which is "recognized by centuries of intersteller law" and then in this snippet it talks about a twelve minute teritorial limit. this sort of stuff drives me nuts, its easily fixable, yet doesn't get fixed in a lot of cases. A convienient fix in this case would be to just say that the terminus is fifteen light hours out instead of five.

Easy to fix, maybe. More importantly, that´s the kind of thing that is also even more easy to get wrong.
That´s why there´s so much computer program bugs...
Post by grendel_one   » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:43 am

grendel_one
Captain (Junior Grade)

Tenshinai wrote:Easy to fix, maybe. More importantly, that´s the kind of thing that is also even more easy to get wrong.

I've often thought about the similarities between writing a novel and writing software.

Novels need a compiler-like program that will check for invalid internal references and update tools that ensure if you change one variable somewhere, all references to it get updated.

Also you can look at similarities between overall design and syntax.
Post by jchilds   » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:51 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

Clearly, they need to send us the manuscript so we can all proofread it for him :)
Post by Thirdbase   » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:28 am

Thirdbase
Admiral

FriarBob wrote:It's possible he was guessing and was just wrong.

As long as the eARC is out within the next few months, I won't complain TOO loudly...

Well with the theoretical March release date, when would that lead to a eARC release and snippeting?
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by Korgano   » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:03 am

Korgano
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Thirdbase wrote:
FriarBob wrote:It's possible he was guessing and was just wrong.

Well with the theoretical March release date, when would that lead to a eARC release and snippeting?

If we follow the October-July schedule of ABF we should be getting the eARC in December.
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

grendel_one wrote:
Tenshinai wrote:Easy to fix, maybe. More importantly, that´s the kind of thing that is also even more easy to get wrong.

I've often thought about the similarities between writing a novel and writing software.

Novels need a compiler-like program that will check for invalid internal references and update tools that ensure if you change one variable somewhere, all references to it get updated.

Hehe, yeah you wish... That´s really why there should be an endless amount of work for people like me, proofreaders. Except it´s become standard to use the closest to your suggestion that exists, and the result has of course been that the quality of language in newspapers, in movies and on tv has gone far beyond "down the drain"...

The problem with automated stuff is that it´s dumb, as long as something looks potentially correct, it calls it fine.
For example, i´ve been reading a bit over at fanfiction.net lately, and you can totally see which ones are using spellcheckers, who are using grammar checking software and who´re actually good at language...
Post by FriarBob   » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:33 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:
grendel_one wrote:

Hehe, yeah you wish... That´s really why there should be an endless amount of work for people like me, proofreaders. Except it´s become standard to use the closest to your suggestion that exists, and the result has of course been that the quality of language in newspapers, in movies and on tv has gone far beyond "down the drain"...

The problem with automated stuff is that it´s dumb, as long as something looks potentially correct, it calls it fine.
For example, i´ve been reading a bit over at fanfiction.net lately, and you can totally see which ones are using spellcheckers, who are using grammar checking software and who´re actually good at language...

Oh man do I ever know what you mean. I used to read a bunch of fan fiction for MOO3. Some of it was decent, and some of it sounded like a third grader wrote it.

Return to Snippets