Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Endless meetings

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Endless meetings
Post by pfennig   » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:28 pm

pfennig
Midshipman

I am a big fan of the Honorverse. However the last few books seem to consist mainly of a series of meetings with a battle or two thrown in. Character development is really limited. Honor did manage to get married between meetings.

Please let your characters spend time with friends or family as they did in the earlier books. The treecats have been pretty much lost and they supplied a lot of the humor in the early books. Your characters no longer have any fun.

Thanks
Re: Endless meetings
Post by Halcyon   » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Halcyon
Ensign

Given what happened in the last book to Sphinx, I'm pretty sure that Nimitz and Dances on Clouds are going to wind up heading there for a visit.
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:20 pm

namelessfly

At ALL COSTS was absolutely gut wrenching battle scenes. Lots of meetings that were needed to put the political developments in perspective plus demonstrate character growth of HH who once didn't undertand or care about such things.

SftS was a bit bland except for the vaporization of three ROLLAND DDs.

MoH seemed a bit bland until Oyster Bay.

The Death of Honor's last surviving armsman was the absolutely pinacle of drama for me.
Post by Solly   » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Solly
Commander

namelessfly wrote:At ALL COSTS was absolutely gut wrenching battle scenes. Lots of meetings that were needed to put the political developments in perspective plus demonstrate character growth of HH who once didn't undertand or care about such things.

SftS was a bit bland except for the vaporization of three ROLLAND DDs.

MoH seemed a bit bland until Oyster Bay.

The Death of Honor's last surviving armsman was the absolutely pinacle of drama for me.

I gotta agree with fly on this one. I'm almost done with Crown of Slaves, and actually I've come to like the meetings for two reasons: They inform you of what, when, who, where and why these events take place. And also I got to see the characters both heroes and villains develop when they arn't out fighting a battle. However, I do understand what you mean, sometimes they can go on forever so if I get upset what I usually do is take a break go do something else and then come back and I'm interested in it again.

Also Fly, actually everyone this is totally kind of off topic, but during the battles or very emotional parts of a honor book do you guys have dramatic music going on in your head at all? I just kinda make it up as it goes along and it adds drama to that scene, very fun haha.

But if you ever get upset at a meeting just take a break.
Post by morokth   » Fri May 13, 2011 4:10 am

morokth
Midshipman

First post!

Odd, that it's in this topic as opposed to anywhere else I could have posted.

At any rate, I have been reading the HH series for the better part of two years, not to mention the Path of the Fury and In Death Ground / The Shiva Option so when it comes to DW's method of writing, I would like to think that I have a fairly decent grasp. One thing I absolutely love, as I've told many people I work with when they see me reading one of his books, is that DW will at times spend chapters developing background info for a character, and then just kill him (Path of the Fury was one that comes to mind on this). now, this isn't to say he does this just for the sake of doing it - he's setting up the important background information and everything else that moves the overall plot along, and I love that.

However, I have to agree with some of the OP's thoughts. I read Torch of Freedom and honestly, if I hadn't had a sneak peak on the honor-wiki site about what was going to happen in that book, I might have skipped it and went back to the "mainstream" HH novels. And on that note, moving from Torch to MoH and knowing that "something big" was about to ahppen, I was left with a feeling of "ok, get to it already please" and then, when it happened, I was left wanting more to the story. Granted, I realize that this was a set up to leave me wanting more for when Thunder comes out, and I honestly can't wait, but it seemed as though the last few books were highlighted by major events/battles, with meetings galore going in between that were nothing like the first half dozen books had been.

And, for the record, I adore the HH series as perhaps the most fleshed-out universe I have ever come across. So, I hope that nothing I've said here contraindicates as such. Frankly, the depth of the people and places and history of the honorverse has led me to finally start creating my own work of art, such as it is, and I can only hope to be as well recognized as Weber when my time comes.

Enjoy!

Return to David's Dimension