Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Multiverse and 'paratime'

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Multiverse and 'paratime'
Post by kalvan   » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:22 am

kalvan
Midshipman

The settings for Hell's Gate and Hell Hath No Fury are very close to H. Beam Piper's "Paratime" (readers under 50 have probably never encountered that). David Weber is one of few writers who can deal with the depth of that concept. Without knowing if there is a third book, I believe the "paratime/multiverse" concept provides material for a whole series. Perhaps even involving other cultures.

It would be a tribute to Piper if his worlds continued.
Re: Multiverse and 'paratime'
Post by ChrisH   » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:58 am

ChrisH
Midshipman

kalvan wrote:The settings for Hell's Gate and Hell Hath No Fury are very close to H. Beam Piper's "Paratime" (readers under 50 have probably never encountered that). David Weber is one of few writers who can deal with the depth of that concept. Without knowing if there is a third book, I believe the "paratime/multiverse" concept provides material for a whole series. Perhaps even involving other cultures.

Shouldn't that be Lord Kalvan? Anyway, Piper's complete works in one volume are available on Kindle now, so a new generation can and should find them. I wonder if Pappy Jack hangs out here, too?
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:29 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

The Road to Hell due out 2016 some time, see the Multiverse Forum
Post by ChrisH   » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:38 pm

ChrisH
Midshipman

Randomiser wrote:The Road to Hell due out 2016 some time, see the Multiverse Forum

Thank you!
Post by dreamrider   » Wed May 06, 2015 12:44 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

ChrisH wrote:
kalvan wrote:The settings for Hell's Gate and Hell Hath No Fury are very close to H. Beam Piper's "Paratime" (readers under 50 have probably never encountered that). David Weber is one of few writers who can deal with the depth of that concept. Without knowing if there is a third book, I believe the "paratime/multiverse" concept provides material for a whole series. Perhaps even involving other cultures.

Shouldn't that be Lord Kalvan? Anyway, Piper's complete works in one volume are available on Kindle now, so a new generation can and should find them. I wonder if Pappy Jack hangs out here, too?

They are 'properly' the "Paratime" or "Paratime Police" stories; that is how Piper and John Campbell usually referred to them. Several Paratime stories were published before Kalvan came on the scene; Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen was just the last of these stories (and the only Paratime novel) to be penned by Piper himself.

Incidentally, the saga of Calvin Morrison and the Kingdom of Hos-Hostigos has been continued through several more volumes over the years, by Piper's literary executor John F. Carr, partnered in the first sequel, Great Kings War, by Roland Green. Not bad at all.

Down Styphon!

dreamrider

Return to David's Dimension