Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Safehold series and Space

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Safehold series and Space
Post by Eagleone 55   » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:12 pm

Eagleone 55
Ensign

Hi David!!!
I love your writing, I have to ask if you can tell us if you plan on taking the Safehold series all the way to defeating the Gbaba?? I would love to see this series turn into a space opera.

My Thanks for your writing
Chris :D
Re: Safehold series and Space
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Although it's tongue-in-cheek, he already posted one (im)possible ending.
You can find it just here.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by dreamrider   » Wed May 06, 2015 2:02 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Eagleone 55 wrote:Hi David!!!
I love your writing, I have to ask if you can tell us if you plan on taking the Safehold series all the way to defeating the Gbaba?? I would love to see this series turn into a space opera.

My Thanks for your writing
Chris :D

I have heard David speak to this question at cons. As a practical matter, he expects that he will not have time to carry the series that far. He does want to get into the next two generations of the Safehold advancement/ political situation / Charisian development / Charisian royal house. But when he started the series he only expected to spend maybe one book on Haarald and his kingdom (done), about 2 books on Caleb's reign (currently going on, what, 6?), 2 books on the ascension and reign of the princess, maybe 1 book on her offspring, and 1 timeskip book on getting into space & punching out the Gababa.

Now, since he wants to maintain focus on the current threads of techno-redevelopment, and on the somewhat hidden campaign for effective unification of the planet by the Merlin/Charisian cabal over the next ?30-70? years, he imagines that the resolution of the confrontation with the Gababa will become something like a long epilogue, perhaps the last third of the last book (however many it takes to get there - ?12 - 15 total? ). There will be a lot of character (?Merlin?) reflection about the last 100-200 years of history leading to the final confrontation.

Or the series could evolve entirely differently. It has defied his advance planning pretty consistently so far.

dreamrider
Post by MisterTompson   » Mon May 25, 2015 8:37 pm

MisterTompson
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I believe there was already a discussion about this in the Safehold thread. IIRC, he said that he was going to spend another 2-3 books in the current situation before moving on to another 4-5 books for the space conflict, but I may be wrong the exact numbers.
Post by mike currill   » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:59 am

mike currill
Midshipman

I seem to recall that David's originally plan was for the series to run to 8 or 9 books. Obviously the Safeholdians have not cooperated by advancing their tech base sufficiently quickly for that to happen. I'm eagerly waiting for the next book which is due for release later in the year.
Post by DirkF   » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:05 pm

DirkF
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

The last plans concerning Safehold that I read about was RFC telling at the time of book 6 (a few years ago) that he expects it to take another three books to defeat the Go4, and then two or three books on the "war of truth" when Charis makes the truth about Terra public.

Given the contents of the current book 8, I think he's still on that schedule for the defeat of the church.

If the next sequence really stays at those 2-3 books, no one knows yet - probably not even RFC.
Post by rdelorme16   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:58 pm

rdelorme16
Ensign

The citizens of Safehold are advancing their tech at a feverish pace; besides the author can always have "decades" pass between books.

Return to David's Dimension