Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Books are Too Short

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Books are Too Short
Post by Redleg68   » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Redleg68
Lieutenant Commander

Sir:

I enjoy reading your books; however, they are too short. I read 1K wpm speed and one of your books only lasts me one weekend night. I know I have reread the entire series four times and have had to replace some of the early books; yet I get frustrated when I finish the book overnight. If you could get the Bean people to let the books grow about 25% I could make them last for a whole weekend. Recently reread all the off shoot books in a three day weekend. Enjoyed this, but I have reached the stage with some of the books that I know whats on the next page/chapter. Need more reading, I have finished all the 1632 books. HELP
Re: Books are Too Short
Post by logiccosmic   » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:56 pm

logiccosmic
Lieutenant Commander

Read the HH series. That will tie you down for a while.
Post by Lunan   » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:10 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

logiccosmic wrote:Read the HH series. That will tie you down for a while.

i think thats what he was talking about
Post by rofwh   » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:22 pm

rofwh
Captain (Junior Grade)

Lunan wrote:

So he thinks that a 700 - 800 page book is too short??? Go read one of those Multiverse books. One of them is 1000 pages--I hurt myself lifting the paperback.
Post by Redleg68   » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:30 pm

Redleg68
Lieutenant Commander

rofwh wrote:
Lunan wrote:

So he thinks that a 700 - 800 page book is too short??? Go read one of those Multiverse books. One of them is 1000 pages--I hurt myself lifting the paperback.

I have read them. Somewhat better in terms of length, only not quite as enjoyable. I recently reread the entire Bilithoe series by Alexander Kent in a week.

It is a curse to read this fast. Finished 1635: the tanglled web in 4 hours. How does one slow down their reading speed?
Post by rofwh   » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:35 pm

rofwh
Captain (Junior Grade)

Redleg68 wrote:
rofwh wrote:
Lunan wrote:

I have read them. Somewhat better in terms of length, only not quite as enjoyable. I recently reread the entire Bilithoe series by Alexander Kent in a week.

It is a curse to read this fast. Finished 1635: the tanglled web in 4 hours. How does one slow down their reading speed?

All of Douglas Reeman's output? That is a humongous number of Bolitho books.
Try reading only after you go into bed at night. Then you might be too tired to read more than a couple of dozen pages before turning off the light and going to sleep.
Post by John Prigent   » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:58 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

I sympathise. But if you have problems, pity me - I read at 1,600 wpm and have to spend most of my reading time re-reading favourite books.
Cheers
John
Redleg68 wrote:Sir:

I enjoy reading your books; however, they are too short. I read 1K wpm speed and one of your books only lasts me one weekend night. I know I have reread the entire series four times and have had to replace some of the early books; yet I get frustrated when I finish the book overnight. If you could get the Bean people to let the books grow about 25% I could make them last for a whole weekend. Recently reread all the off shoot books in a three day weekend. Enjoyed this, but I have reached the stage with some of the books that I know whats on the next page/chapter. Need more reading, I have finished all the 1632 books. HELP
Post by Paks   » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:52 am

Paks
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

You guys could actually try to read it word for word instead of paragraph or pages at a time. Also, try to pause and think about what he's just said in that sentence and what ramifications it might have on what previously happened or how it will affect what will come. Or just read slowly and just enjoy reading what comes as it comes. You don't have to speed read just to speed read. Adding more words and pages doesn't affect how fast you read. If it goes from 800 pages to 1000 pages - that's what - like 10 minutes more? and it still wouldn't be enough anyways. So - stop asking for more pages. Go for quality and not quantity.
Post by John Prigent   » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:15 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

That's exactly what I do, Paks. I also backtrack from time to time and reread passages, pages or complete chapters, just to prolong the read. My speedreading is at least twice my normal speed, probably three times, and much more still when I'm looking for a reference in a book I've read before. Anyway, I'm not really asking for more pages, that might lower the quality of David's writing.
Cheers
John
Paks wrote:You guys could actually try to read it word for word instead of paragraph or pages at a time. Also, try to pause and think about what he's just said in that sentence and what ramifications it might have on what previously happened or how it will affect what will come. Or just read slowly and just enjoy reading what comes as it comes. You don't have to speed read just to speed read. Adding more words and pages doesn't affect how fast you read. If it goes from 800 pages to 1000 pages - that's what - like 10 minutes more? and it still wouldn't be enough anyways. So - stop asking for more pages. Go for quality and not quantity.
Post by rafael   » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:09 pm

rafael
Captain of the List

I can't backtrack I get to involved and must finish the book asap.

Return to David's Dimension