Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Books are Too Short

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Re: Books are Too Short
Post by kbus888   » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:43 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

swapnil147 wrote:
Read the HH series.....

I have started reading Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. its bit amazing.... Willing to read all the books of that series...

I've also read that series and found it
worth the price of the books.

{Read it BEFORE I got my kindle - - -
sooooo, I have no idea where the books are
at the moment :-( }

R
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by savadrin   » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:59 am

savadrin
Lieutenant Commander

oh god, i'm not alone....

i have no idea what my words per minute reading speed is, my family tells me that watching me read a book is unsettling, and that if i'm really into the book it looks like i'm just flicking pages every couple of seconds. for me reading books is like watching a movie, but with better special effects. my folks will actually get up and leave the room sometimes, like when the latest wheel of time book came out and i finished reading it before lunch.

i don't retain every single thing in the first read though, usually i read it really fast a couple times then digest it for a week or so and come back for another go....
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:27 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Savadrin, you're not the only one with a high rate of words-per-minute. When I was 8, my reading age was at least 14 (thank god for the phonics system, really helped). When the final Harry Potter book came out, I had finished it within 2 1/4 hours of buying it. Startled the heck out of my sister, she asked me if she could borrow it once I had finished it and my reply was "Sure, here you go."

As for the translating words into imagery thing, I know exactly what you mean, since that's how I seem to operate. And once I've read a book a couple of times, I've pretty much got the plotline and scenes almost memorised. Not word-for-word, but close enough. As for how many books I remember and how far back, well, when I was 10 I read a sci-fi book called "Keeper of the Isis Light". I still remember the plotlines and characters from it, even though I haven't seen a copy of it in over two decades.

Does anyone else remember that book?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by WLBjork   » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:22 am

WLBjork
Commander

I find the same. Just recently, someone was trying to read my Kindle over my shoulder. I was turning the page by the time they were about 50-60% of the way down.

I tend to slow down a bit on some of the classics. Great Expectations was god-awful, but I struggled through it. David Copperfield was OK, but not fast. War of the Worlds, Mysterious Island, A Christmas Carol and the Sherlock Holmes books are read rapidly. Haven't plucked up the courage to try War and Peace yet.
Post by kbus888   » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:53 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

WLBjork wrote:I find the same. Just recently, someone was trying to read my Kindle over my shoulder. I was turning the page by the time they were about 50-60% of the way down.
<snip>

Suggest they get their own Kindle !!!

R
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by Emo Otaku   » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:53 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

I think the length of the books is about right (with a new book per series coming out every year or so)

I've never tested my WPM or anything like that but I used to be able to read 4-5 hundred page books in a night

Unfortunately i now have problems with my eyes (probably from reading 4-5 hundred pages a night in bad light), which means it takes me a lot longer to read (and after a few hours the strain can be enough to give me some major headaches)

This doesn't mean I've stopped reading just that I'm slower and have to go at it for shorter periods, but reading on my tablet is a blessing as i can adjust the font size
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane
Post by robertpiazza   » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:22 am

robertpiazza
Midshipman

I have also read that series and found it
worth the price of the books.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

I managed to max out a reading and comprehension test at age 10 or so. the score i got said i was at the level of a 17+ year old. I regularly finish books of 600 odd pages in just over an hour or so. harry potter 7, including a lunch break, took 2.5 hours. My mum used to test me on random books with plot questions, because she didnt believe i was reading a page in 10 to 15 seconds. after i answered all questions right on the fourth book in one day, she gave up.

I find the honorverse books to be a great length, as i can start one on the way to University/College, read the middle third in a break between classes, and finish it off on the way home, finishing it pretty much within 5 minutes of my stop, dependent on traffic.

Sure the books may come out slow from David Weber, but I have learnt to ration their use by reading lots of authors at the same time, using this forum, rereading constantly. every time i reread a book, i get just that little bit more out of it......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I may be a stinker, But I am a MANTICORAN stinker!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by st barbara   » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:16 am

st barbara
Ensign

There are times when I envy you speed readers. I've been reading "At All Costs" for a week and I haven't finished it yet ! :(
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:12 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

st barbara wrote:There are times when I envy you speed readers. I've been reading "At All Costs" for a week and I haven't finished it yet ! :(

Its actually a bit annoying at times. I find myself unable to read lots of books more than once or twice as I can remember the plot too well, and so they dont interest me anymore, and so that cuts down my reading options. Then, when you consider that I can finish one to two 600 page books a day if i have the time, and suddenly a weeks reading is 15 books, of 400 to 600 pages, up to 20+ books of a smaller size. even if i work 7 days a week, i can finish 3/4+ of a hh book in my breaks. So I have the problems of the library lending limit, finding enough good books with enough pages, having to move a 40 to 50 cm (foot and a half or so) pile of books around, storing them, transporting them, and making them last, as i dont often go to the library for weeks at a time as i cant. So in some ways, i envy the slow readers. you naturally have less problems surrounding reading material.
`

its not paranoia if its justified... :D

Return to David's Dimension