Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

Any movie/tv series deals a possibility?

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Re: Any movie/tv series deals a possibility?
Post by MJD58   » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:38 pm

MJD58
Midshipman

I would love to see a well made honorverse movie, but agree that it would probably lose too much, in transferring it to that medium. On the other hand I think Mutineers moon could be pulled off as long as david kept a little control on the "Hollywood Hatchets"Colin's Moonflight would be a perfect start to the movie, In my Opinion:}
Post by Sasha   » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:14 pm

Sasha
Ensign

One problem that I foresee in translating David Weber's writing to film is that his battles have realistic timing in the books. This would have to be lost in films, as audiences wouldn't be able to sit and wait for the ships to get close enough to one another to fire. Because of the actual realism and devotion to actual science and tech, a LOT would be lost in translation to film.

I have to admit that I would love to see CGI treecats, though.
Post by Skia   » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:13 pm

Skia
Captain (Junior Grade)

Sasha wrote:One problem that I foresee in translating David Weber's writing to film is that his battles have realistic timing in the books. This would have to be lost in films, as audiences wouldn't be able to sit and wait for the ships to get close enough to one another to fire. Because of the actual realism and devotion to actual science and tech, a LOT would be lost in translation to film.

I have to admit that I would love to see CGI treecats, though.

That does bring in an interesting thought. Most movies do a poor job of translating the scope of time, but wouldn't it be fun to watch Honor's death ride against Saladin while listening to Hammerwell's Seventh? Assuming of course that they could come up with an appropriate song for that.
Post by Sasha   » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:00 pm

Sasha
Ensign

I hear something Wagnerian. . .
Post by Panzer   » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:17 am

Panzer
Lieutenant Commander

Me too.
Post by saintonge   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:47 am

saintonge
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Gwapo wrote:David,

Hello :)

I am very curious to know if there are any possible movie/tv series deals in the works. With the popularity of "fantasy" and "sci-fi" increasing in movies and tv, a David Weber movie or two would be really nice. I mean come on, seeing Dahak in action would be so...well kewl :)

Gwapo (well my wife likes to call me that anyways :)

It almost happened once, but financing fell through at the last minute.

The plan was to start with Honor between OBS and HotQ. The screenplay had her asleep, having a nightmare about the battle that ends OBS. The people who would have been making the movie felt that OBS wouldn't work as a series start.
Post by CathyH   » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:34 pm

CathyH
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I would laove a tacitcval and strategic Starship combat game for PC as well as a TV series. Although she is note Eurasian, Cote De Pablo (Ziva David NCIS) would, I think be perfect for Honor
Post by saintonge   » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:58 pm

saintonge
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

namelessfly wrote:The advent of CGI has made me hopeful that it will become affordable to do classic sci fi. I can think of lots of books by Asimov, Anderson, Clarke, Hienlien, Forward, Niven, Pournelle, Sheffield just to name a few that would make great movies but couldn't be done without CGI. Unfortunately, the studios seem to prefer to produce crap that was written for the screen by some dweeb. The Sci Fi channel has been a great disapointment.

I think that HONOR OF THE QUEEN would be a better candidate than ON BASILISK STATION. While I tend to tire of being clubbed with the feminism issue, the opening of relations with Grayson would bring a lot of women into the theatre. Also, there is a bit more adventure throughout the movie rather than leaving it all to the end. Hand to hand combat sells tickets and the sight of an adorable six legged furball ripping people's eyes out is going to make a definate impression.

At one point, a deal was almost signed for an Honor movie. It was going to begin with The Honor of the Queen, sorta, but the open scene would have featured Honor asleep, having a nightmare about the battle at the conclusion of On Basilisk Station. Alas, funding fell through at the last minute.
Post by exolethrév̱ei   » Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 am

exolethrév̱ei

sgranada wrote:I think an anima / tv series would be the way to go. It would alow space for alot of elements without the need to try to compress all the honorverse in a couple hours which any movie would sort of have to do to satisfy an audience.

I have to agree with sgranda. I own at least one copy of every book Mr. Weber has written, and have had to replace them often, from death by to much reading! :) I, and my aquaitinces who have read them, agree that they would make amazing anime. Sci-Fi anime is quite popular. Just look at the Gundam books. There are what, like, 10 Gundam sereis' now, each with their on anime? I can guarantee people would buy the anime for Weberverse stuff, especially Honorverse or Dahak. At least, as long as it was done well.
Post by exolethrév̱ei   » Thu May 06, 2010 9:46 am

exolethrév̱ei

saintonge wrote:
Gwapo wrote:David,

Hello :)

I am very curious to know if there are any possible movie/tv series deals in the works. With the popularity of "fantasy" and "sci-fi" increasing in movies and tv, a David Weber movie or two would be really nice. I mean come on, seeing Dahak in action would be so...well kewl :)

Gwapo (well my wife likes to call me that anyways :)

It almost happened once, but financing fell through at the last minute.

The plan was to start with Honor between OBS and HotQ. The screenplay had her asleep, having a nightmare about the battle that ends OBS. The people who would have been making the movie felt that OBS wouldn't work as a series start.

Now that is a good idea. The audience gets the backround they need, but none of the tediousness that comes along with OBS. Having be between the two is Perfect!

Return to David's Dimension