Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Any movie/tv series deals a possibility?

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Any movie/tv series deals a possibility?
Post by Gwapo   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:58 am

Gwapo
Midshipman

David,

Hello :)

I am very curious to know if there are any possible movie/tv series deals in the works. With the popularity of "fantasy" and "sci-fi" increasing in movies and tv, a David Weber movie or two would be really nice. I mean come on, seeing Dahak in action would be so...well kewl :)

Gwapo (well my wife likes to call me that anyways :)
Re: Any movie/tv series deals a possibility?
Post by moonkist1   » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:44 pm

moonkist1
Site Admin

Gwapo,

David has crawled off to his cave to get some writing done, so I'm going to jump in here and answer your question.

Currently there are no contracts signed on any David Weber movies or television shows. We have had some wonderful discussions, and there has been some interest expressed, but so far it hasn't all solidified.

We would really love to see David's work in a multi-media format. I personally think a CGI treecat would just be cool!

Gena
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
Lewis Carroll
Post by TechnoMage   » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:14 pm

TechnoMage
Ensign

I think the hardest part of it would be converting to a screen play. There's so much information given in his books, which I LOVE, that isn't dialogue.

Next you have to decide where you're actually going to start. I would actually argue in starting with The Honor of the Queen instead of On Basilisk Station. Both are great books but I think Honor's experiences at Yeltsin's/Grayson play a much bigger role in future character development than what happened at Basilisk.

-TM
Post by Keymaster654   » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:33 am

Keymaster654
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

TechnoMage wrote:I think the hardest part of it would be converting to a screen play. There's so much information given in his books, which I LOVE, that isn't dialogue.

Next you have to decide where you're actually going to start. I would actually argue in starting with The Honor of the Queen instead of On Basilisk Station. Both are great books but I think Honor's experiences at Yeltsin's/Grayson play a much bigger role in future character development than what happened at Basilisk.

-TM

While I don't disagree that Grayson was a huge part of Honor's development I think On Basilisk station is important because it sets the stage for several of ther very good characters besides Honor that are (IMHO) very important to the story including one of my favorite duo's, Tremaine and Harkness. But I think a Miniseries a full fledged series may work ok...but the one problem is that the books usually skip months or years between them and not being in the biz. I don't know how to work with the continuity to have it make sense.

--Jon--
Post by Rook   » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:27 am

Rook
Commander

I agree. The only other SF book-turned-to-movie that has as much in-depth background as Mr. Weber's books is Dune, which was a huge flop because they couldn't get enough background covered at the beginning of the book into the movie. 2001 Space Oddessy has the same problem.

To be honest, as much as I like the Honor Harrington series, I don't think it would make a good movie. You would have to start the movie with a frame of reference that most of the audience could relate to. And someone dancing with excitement on a space station with a weird six legged cat on their shoulder isn't exactly a common frame of reference. For that reason, I think a book like Apocalypse Troll or the Dahk series would work better.

Keymaster654 wrote:
TechnoMage wrote:I think the hardest part of it would be converting to a screen play. There's so much information given in his books, which I LOVE, that isn't dialogue.

-TM

While I don't disagree that Grayson was a huge part of Honor's development I think On Basilisk station is important because it sets the stage for several of ther very good characters besides Honor that are (IMHO) very important to the story including one of my favorite duo's, Tremaine and Harkness. But I think a Miniseries a full fledged series may work ok...but the one problem is that the books usually skip months or years between them and not being in the biz. I don't know how to work with the continuity to have it make sense.

--Jon--
Post by namelessfly   » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:16 pm

namelessfly

The advent of CGI has made me hopeful that it will become affordable to do classic sci fi. I can think of lots of books by Asimov, Anderson, Clarke, Hienlien, Forward, Niven, Pournelle, Sheffield just to name a few that would make great movies but couldn't be done without CGI. Unfortunately, the studios seem to prefer to produce crap that was written for the screen by some dweeb. The Sci Fi channel has been a great disapointment.

I think that HONOR OF THE QUEEN would be a better candidate than ON BASILISK STATION. While I tend to tire of being clubbed with the feminism issue, the opening of relations with Grayson would bring a lot of women into the theatre. Also, there is a bit more adventure throughout the movie rather than leaving it all to the end. Hand to hand combat sells tickets and the sight of an adorable six legged furball ripping people's eyes out is going to make a definate impression.
Post by Skia   » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:08 pm

Skia
Captain (Junior Grade)

I have mixed feelings on this one.
I think that it could make a good and very entertaining movie, but frankly I don't have a lively faith in hollywood being able to pull it off. It seems like most books to movie just plain stink and often times it kills the world in my mind. It would also be hard to do justice to one of Mr Weber's book in a such a short time frame.

As far as where to start with the story, I've always been a big believer in starting at the beginning, going to the end, and filling in everything in between.
Post by boballab   » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:39 pm

boballab
Captain of the List

Skia wrote:I have mixed feelings on this one.
I think that it could make a good and very entertaining movie, but frankly I don't have a lively faith in hollywood being able to pull it off. It seems like most books to movie just plain stink and often times it kills the world in my mind. It would also be hard to do justice to one of Mr Weber's book in a such a short time frame.

As far as where to start with the story, I've always been a big believer in starting at the beginning, going to the end, and filling in everything in between.

Actually I think you would have to start with On Basilisk Station because that is where all the political foundation is for the Haven/Manticore war. Start any place else there is too many open questions of why this and why that for anyone that is not a reader of the books. With On Basilisk you get the ground work in and end with a climatic battle with a foreshadowing of things to come.

Actually I think the Starfire series would be easier then the Honorverse to adapt to film. Have an intro similar to Star Wars that explains where humnaity is now and the Tabby's and bam you get the Thebans. The Hollyweird types would probably buy off on it for the Tabby's alone.

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by namelessfly   » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:50 am

namelessfly

I tend to agree with SKIA

Hollywood has a tendency to really buture science fiction. Just look at what they did with STARSHIP TROOPERS. RAH must have been spinning in his grave. Except for the scene in the History and Moral Philosophy class, it was a bunch of crap. Instead of having powerred armor, they just had the actors run around with rubber guns. About the most amusing scene for me was the news reel where the humans were high voltage probing the aliens, but that is just my twisted sense of humor.
Post by sgranada   » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:41 am

sgranada
Midshipman

I think an anima / tv series would be the way to go. It would alow space for alot of elements without the need to try to compress all the honorverse in a couple hours which any movie would sort of have to do to satisfy an audience.

Return to David's Dimension