Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

The loss of a lady

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
The loss of a lady
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:33 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

This is going to be very brief.

My mother, Alice Louise Godard Weber, passed away in the early hours of August 18, 2012. She was 88 years old, and she died at home with my younger brother and his wife, peacefully, and not in some impersonal hospital room somewhere.

She was a wonderful, intelligent, witty person who was often hilariously funny and spent 20 years of her life as her mother's primary caregiver. She didn't read for pleasure herself, but held a master's degree in American Lit and went back to get her PhD at 65. In the 60s and 70s, when women simply didn't rise to the top of advertising agency copywriting departments, she did just that and then launched her own agency. I began writing advertising copy for her when I was 17, and she was one of the finest editors I ever knew. And she was one of my strongest boosters, confident --- long before I was --- that I could succeed as a novellist if I was willing to take the risk. My bluecollar father taught me (and my siblings) the joys of reading for entertainment; my mom shared the joys of learning to write with me. She played an enormous role in what I've ended up doing with my life, she raised five loving children, she lived her life in accordance with her principles and beliefs, she taught all of us to do the same, and the world is a poorer place without her but I am far, far richer for having known her.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: The loss of a lady
Post by BrightSoul   » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:38 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

My thoughts are with your family Mr. Weber. She sounds like she was an amazing lady.

My prayers go with you and yours, and since I didn't post in the Sharon thread, get well to her as well.
Post by Hallofaman   » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Hallofaman
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

What is it with the month of August? My mom, my natural mom, two grandmothers and a great grandmother where all born in the month of August; and the month of August has taken them all save my natural mom.... My prayers too will be with her and you this night....
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:48 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Take care.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by Lunan   » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

Take care and be well. We are all here for you if you need us
Post by Thirdbase   » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:57 pm

Thirdbase
Admiral

You have my deepest condolences. She sounds like she was a wonderful person.
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by Spacekiwi   » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:49 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Blessings be upon her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by blackjack217   » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:09 am

blackjack217
Captain (Junior Grade)

Be well.
Post by hvb   » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:05 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

This is hard news to read.

We, all of your fans, owe her a debt of gratitude for fostering you on your path as a professional writer.

runsforcelery wrote:This is going to be very brief.

My mother, Alice Louise Godard Weber, passed away in the early hours of August 18, 2012. She was 88 years old, and she died at home with my younger brother and his wife, peacefully, and not in some impersonal hospital room somewhere.

She was a wonderful, intelligent, witty person who was often hilariously funny and spent 20 years of her life as her mother's primary caregiver. She didn't read for pleasure herself, but held a master's degree in American Lit and went back to get her PhD at 65. In the 60s and 70s, when women simply didn't rise to the top of advertising agency copywriting departments, she did just that and then launched her own agency. I began writing advertising copy for her when I was 17, and she was one of the finest editors I ever knew. And she was one of my strongest boosters, confident --- long before I was --- that I could succeed as a novellist if I was willing to take the risk. My bluecollar father taught me (and my siblings) the joys of reading for entertainment; my mom shared the joys of learning to write with me. She played an enormous role in what I've ended up doing with my life, she raised five loving children, she lived her life in accordance with her principles and beliefs, she taught all of us to do the same, and the world is a poorer place without her but I am far, far richer for having known her.
Post by rawdeal   » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 pm

rawdeal
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Condolences to you and your family in this time of grief.

RAW

Return to David's Dimension