Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

My kids, Honorverse,, and A Beautiful Friendship

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Worldbuilding re: My kids, Honorverse,, and ...
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Best world-building I've ever seen:

Anne McCaffrey. Pern.

No one else, not even Bujold,
has shown the Setting so well!

Howard True Map-addict

Northstar wrote:
[snip] nobody does world building better than RFC,
aka David Weber. I know no one better at it,
including JRR Tolkien.

Re: My kids, Honorverse,, and A Beautiful Friendship
Post by st barbara   » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:06 am

st barbara
Ensign

An interesting thing about "idiomatic English" is that it is possible to use "curses" that are mild seeming, but effective without really offering any offence. The English insult "As useless as a chocolate teapot" is one that comes to mind and, as an Australian I can tell you that our version of English has (or perhaps that should be HAD) a whole host of colourful expressions that weren't actually swearing. Given a little bit of research on slang it should be possible to come up with idioms that are unique to the Honorverse.
Post by selden   » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:31 pm

selden
Ensign

My personal experience in the U.S. military (as a young enlisted man) was that the use of pejoratives was continuous but unimaginative, with the F word predominating. Except when someone of senior rank was present! Of course, most of the people I interacted with were in their late teens to early 20s, so this probably was to be expected.

I dunno what officers used among themselves. :)

I definitely agree that it seems reasonable to expect that some more culturally-appropriate language would have developed by the time of the Honorverse wars.
Post by st barbara   » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:38 am

st barbara
Ensign

selden wrote:My personal experience in the U.S. military (as a young enlisted man) was that the use of pejoratives was continuous but unimaginative, with the F word predominating. Except when someone of senior rank was present! Of course, most of the people I interacted with were in their late teens to early 20s, so this probably was to be expected.

I dunno what officers used among themselves. :)

I definitely agree that it seems reasonable to expect that some more culturally-appropriate language would have developed by the time of the Honorverse wars.

Alas I think that most militaries are rather unimaginative when it comes to perjoratives. The only one I can remember from my short time in the Australian army that is fit to print is one of our instructors telling us to do something "with the speed of a thousand turtles"; just what that is supposed to mean I'm not sure.

Return to David's Dimension