Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Has Mr. Weber considered having a blog?

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Has Mr. Weber considered having a blog?
Post by Rook   » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:48 am

Rook
Commander

I find myself coming to this forum mainly to see if Mr. Weber has posted anything. I sometimes get involved in some of the other discussion threads on the forums, but not often. So, I'm wondering if MWW has ever considered having a blog that Weber-starved fans such as myself could visit to get our fix.

If he hasn't considered it, may I request that he starts one?
Re: Has Mr. Weber considered having a blog?
Post by Thirdbase   » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Thirdbase
Admiral

Rook wrote:I find myself coming to this forum mainly to see if Mr. Weber has posted anything. I sometimes get involved in some of the other discussion threads on the forums, but not often. So, I'm wondering if MWW has ever considered having a blog that Weber-starved fans such as myself could visit to get our fix.

I would rather that he writes his novels,than spend time writing a blog.

He does get involved occasionally here.
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by kbus888   » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:38 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

Hi Thirdbase

I Enthusiastically agree !!

R

Thirdbase wrote:
Rook wrote:I find myself coming to this forum mainly to see if Mr. Weber has posted anything. I sometimes get involved in some of the other discussion threads on the forums, but not often. So, I'm wondering if MWW has ever considered having a blog that Weber-starved fans such as myself could visit to get our fix.

I would rather that he writes his novels,than spend time writing a blog.

He does get involved occasionally here.
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

He has a sort of blog attached to this very page.

http://www.davidweber.net/essays

It hasn't been added to much though, only for the very important things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Its not paranoia if its justified....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by kbus888   » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:54 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

Hi guys

The following was copied from "David's Essays" announcing a deal to make a Honorverse-based movie.

<Quote>
I'm not going to lie to you — I feel a certain degree of trepidation. I think that's inevitable, given how many years I've put into creating the books and the characters in them. It's a given, inescapable, that there are going to be changes to the books to bring them to the movie screen and that some of those changes are going to tick off some of Honor's most devoted readers. It can't be any other way, if only because of the size of the books and the sprawling nature of the Honorverse.
<EndQuote>

I have a small note of encouragement for you, Mr Weber.

Do not despair just yet !!

It is sometimes possible to make a movie that is very very close to the book on which the movie is based.

I greatly enjoyed reading Herbert's "Dune" and was surprised and very pleased upon seeing that the movie version kept very very close to the original story.

It CAN happen [smile]

R
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

the happiness of another
Post by Thirdbase   » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:18 am

Thirdbase
Admiral

kbus888 wrote:Hi guys

The following was copied from "David's Essays" announcing a deal to make a Honorverse-based movie.

<Quote>
I'm not going to lie to you — I feel a certain degree of trepidation. I think that's inevitable, given how many years I've put into creating the books and the characters in them. It's a given, inescapable, that there are going to be changes to the books to bring them to the movie screen and that some of those changes are going to tick off some of Honor's most devoted readers. It can't be any other way, if only because of the size of the books and the sprawling nature of the Honorverse.
<EndQuote>

It is sometimes possible to make a movie that is very very close to the book on which the movie is based.

I greatly enjoyed reading Herbert's "Dune" and was surprised and very pleased upon seeing that the movie version kept very very close to the original story.

It CAN happen [smile]

R

Which version of Dune?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/

Probably not the last one...
------------
runsforcelery wrote:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by kbus888   » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:18 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

Hi Thirdbase

It was some time ago that I saw DUNE on the big screen, so I do not remember it that well.

I know I saw it with my daughter (who had not red the book) and she had trouble following the plot.

So, I can't say which of your links illustrate the film we saw - - -

But I do remember also seeing with the same daughter the film "Bourne Identity".

Although that one, I found interesting, the movie did not reflect the book version well at all at all.

R

Thirdbase wrote:

<Quote>
<EndQuote>

It CAN happen [smile]

R

Which version of Dune?

..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

the happiness of another
Post by FriarBob   » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:52 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

Thirdbase wrote:

<Quote>
<EndQuote>

It CAN happen [smile]

R

Which version of Dune?

Or the first. Don't get me wrong, I love Patrick Stewart and Sting did a decent job (well at least *I* liked it, I realize a lot of others didn't) and Kyle MacLachlan was good and Francesca Annis was too... for that matter more or less all the other actors were great as well, but I had to look HARD to find even the slightest relationship to the book...

The middle one was much lower budget and had its flaws too, but I watched it and felt like I was literally watching the book play out before my eyes.

I almost wish that Weber had tried to go the route of a sci-fi miniseries instead of a made-for-theaters movie. But oh well, they're his books, he can do whatever he wants... both in them and with them.
Post by Thirdbase   » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:58 pm

Thirdbase
Admiral

FriarBob wrote:Or the first. Don't get me wrong, I love Patrick Stewart and Sting did a decent job (well at least *I* liked it, I realize a lot of others didn't) and Kyle MacLachlan was good and Francesca Annis was too... for that matter more or less all the other actors were great as well, but I had to look HARD to find even the slightest relationship to the book...

The middle one was much lower budget and had its flaws too, but I watched it and felt like I was literally watching the book play out before my eyes.

I almost wish that Weber had tried to go the route of a sci-fi miniseries instead of a made-for-theaters movie. But oh well, they're his books, he can do whatever he wants... both in them and with them.

I always thought he should have had it done as a high end animation, using traditional animation for the people scenes and CGI for the battles/space scenes. Then we would only to worry about MWW having the artists draw what he wants, and find the right voice actors.
------------
runsforcelery wrote:

"Smart alec!" ;p
Post by FriarBob   » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:03 am

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

Thirdbase wrote:
FriarBob wrote:Or the first. Don't get me wrong, I love Patrick Stewart and Sting did a decent job (well at least *I* liked it, I realize a lot of others didn't) and Kyle MacLachlan was good and Francesca Annis was too... for that matter more or less all the other actors were great as well, but I had to look HARD to find even the slightest relationship to the book...

I always thought he should have had it done as a high end animation, using traditional animation for the people scenes and CGI for the battles/space scenes. Then we would only to worry about MWW having the artists draw what he wants, and find the right voice actors.

Hmm I kinda like that idea too. Of course there are still potential pitfalls... like treecats with too much of human-looking shoulders... or too much of cat-like faces... :)

On the other hand, any method is going to have trouble with Nimitz no matter what...

Return to David's Dimension