Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

All about the Sci-

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
All about the Sci-
Post by Phwop   » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:47 am

Phwop
Midshipman

Since -Fi is pretty well up to the author. . . I was curious about how much actual science fact David absorbs over the course of his days? By days I really mean years, and by science I really mean the human races' understanding of all things beyond our thin, ever depleting atmosphere?

Also those besides David feel free to jump on their favorite new facts.

Example: Speed of light broken? Warshawski, we are now ready for you.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/8782895/CERN-scientists-break-the-speed-of-light.html
Re: All about the Sci-
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

At the risk of de-railling the thread before it has even gotten started, may I offer a small observation on definitions.

Science Fiction :- A story utilising technology or phenomena which is seen as theoretically feasible given the state of understanding of the universe at the time of writing.

Science Fantasy :- A story utilising technology or phenomena which is not seen as theoretically feasible given the state of understanding of the universe at the time of writing.

Fantasy :- A story utilising phenomena known to be incompatible with the state of understanding of the universe at the time of writing.

Okay. Back to the thread.

Weber has already done 2 major science-induced retcons in the Harrington series. The first is the great resizing which happened after it was pointed out that the weight and sizes of the SD's in early books meant that they had a density approximately the same as cigar smoke. The second was smaller and related to the grav-tech after a realworld experiment strongly indicated that gravity propogates at lightspeed. Weber promptly inserted the "fact" that the Grav-sensors used in the Honorverse detected gravetic sources via "ripples" along the Alpha Wall, something which may become a plot point with regard to the Spider Drive...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Phwop   » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:58 am

Phwop
Midshipman

I wasn't referring to the book synchronicity so much as how much science David actually takes the time to absorb, osmose, or otherwise make his own.

The definition of science fiction you've given would demand a high degree of cutting edge scientific study on the part of an author.

But I mostly wanted to know what interests him most? Is there any particular source he favors for discerning theoretical potential?
Post by Thirdbase   » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:55 pm

Thirdbase
Admiral

Phwop wrote:Since -Fi is pretty well up to the author. . . I was curious about how much actual science fact David absorbs over the course of his days? By days I really mean years, and by science I really mean the human races' understanding of all things beyond our thin, ever depleting atmosphere?

Also those besides David feel free to jump on their favorite new facts.

Example: Speed of light broken? Warshawski, we are now ready for you.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/8782895/CERN-scientists-break-the-speed-of-light.html

A long time ago an author, Larry Niven, wrote a story called The Coldest Place. Between the time that the story was printed and released, the science that it was based on, was proven wrong.
------------
runsforcelery wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:I think that was the next novel.

Allow me to demonstrate my concision, brevity, and economy of phrase:

"Smart alec!" ;p

Return to David's Dimension