Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Royalty & Aristocracy

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Re: Royalty & Aristocracy
Post by pokermind   » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:51 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

pokermind wrote:Dear Dave and other visitors:
In the truth is stranger than fiction category in his book, ('My Four Years in Germany' Grosset & Dunlap, pubs., New York, 1917, sorry I don't remember the page or even chapter.) James W. Gerard notes the princes of Germany practice their social skills as youths by formally introducing themselves to every tree and bush on their estates, that social interaction is the business of royalty not government. Written by the former US Ambassador to Imperial Germany just prior and during early WW 1, and a 'propaganda' book for WW 1 this might be just a Sea Story. Dave if you're writing more in the 1632 series, or even part of Raoul's training to be a noble in the Honorverse it might be a useful idea for you to incorporate. With the name Weber I assume German ancestry, this is an anti-German propaganda tome from the days when insults got personal, be warned German immigrants disloyal to the USA are advised to put back on their rags and wooden shoes and return to the Fatherland, and he even suggests lynching Germans taking up arms for Germany within the US.
And while I'm telling you how to write might I suggest that Philip Jenkins the love sick teenage runaway/stowaway who learned navigation, and coned a ship in a hurricane in the Grantville Gazette might be a good lad for your Admiral Simpson to press-gang.

I remain your most humble and obedient servant,
Charles E. Simpson AKA CPO Poker Mind.

I re-submited mostly to bring the above to your attention. I also have a WW1 propaganda record by him where he makes the rags and wooden shoes crack, I've had a stroke and memory is Swiss Cheese so might not be in book, but I know the lynching crack is. Skimmed it and could not find the Noble children introdusing themselves to trees quote, and book's tone towards Germans is not so bad, must have confused the propaganda record and book.

Dave now that I've pissed you off by telling you how to do your job how about a smile, a little Honorverse paradey [?Sp. a joke image of the real thing, a mind-pun if you will. Can't blame my poor spelling on stroke is form of dyslexia I can't remember strings proper spelling or phone numbers.]

The latest hit in Grayson classical musical style, "Authors don't let your books be turned into movies.
"Hollywood will mutilate your baby gleefulley. ..."
By that stand-up-comic wannabe and drunken sailor CPO Poker Mind and his accompanist on the electric lyre spacecat first Mangy Fur.

Or... What did White Haven call his first date with Honor?

My date from Hell. Ba-dum-pum

Down Pun-zillia Down CPO Poker Mind
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Re: Royalty & Aristocracy
Post by pokermind   » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:29 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

pokermind wrote:
pokermind wrote:Dear Dave and other visitors:
In the truth is stranger than fiction category in his book, ('My Four Years in Germany' Grosset & Dunlap, pubs., New York, 1917, sorry I don't remember the page or even chapter.) James W. Gerard notes the princes of Germany practice their social skills as youths by formally introducing themselves to every tree and bush on their estates, that social interaction is the business of royalty not government. Written by the former US Ambassador to Imperial Germany just prior and during early WW 1, and a 'propaganda' book for WW 1 this might be just a Sea Story. Dave if you're writing more in the 1632 series, or even part of Raoul's training to be a noble in the Honorverse it might be a useful idea for you to incorporate. With the name Weber I assume German ancestry, this is an anti-German propaganda tome from the days when insults got personal, be warned German immigrants disloyal to the USA are advised to put back on their rags and wooden shoes and return to the Fatherland, and he even suggests lynching Germans taking up arms for Germany within the US.
And while I'm telling you how to write might I suggest that Philip Jenkins the love sick teenage runaway/stowaway who learned navigation, and coned a ship in a hurricane in the Grantville Gazette might be a good lad for your Admiral Simpson to press-gang.

I remain your most humble and obedient servant,
Charles E. Simpson AKA CPO Poker Mind.

I re-submited mostly to bring the above to your attention. I also have a WW1 propaganda record by him where he makes the rags and wooden shoes crack, I've had a stroke and memory is Swiss Cheese so might not be in book, but I know the lynching crack is. Skimmed it and could not find the Noble children introdusing themselves to trees quote, and book's tone towards Germans is not so bad, must have confused the propaganda record and book.

Dave now that I've pissed you off by telling you how to do your job how about a smile, a little Honorverse paradey [?Sp. a joke image of the real thing, a mind-pun if you will. Can't blame my poor spelling on stroke is form of dyslexia I can't remember strings proper spelling or phone numbers.]

The latest hit in Grayson classical musical style, "Authors don't let your books be turned into movies.
"Hollywood will mutilate your baby gleefulley. ..."
By that stand-up-comic wannabe and drunken sailor CPO Poker Mind and his accompanist on the electric lyre spacecat first Mangy Fur.

Or... What did White Haven call his first date with Honor?

My date from Hell. Ba-dum-pum

Down Pun-zillia Down CPO Poker Mind

Barnes and Nobel has My Four Years in Germany in several forms and prices, see below, including a free E-Book you can also down load their Nook for PC free too.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/my-four-years-in-germany?keyword=my+four+years+in+germany&store=allproducts
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.

Return to David's Dimension