Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Bribing an Author

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Bribing an Author
Post by Bosparan   » Thu May 26, 2011 3:03 pm

Bosparan
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Hey David,

I've been reading all your books and really liked most of them. There's just one thing that I have a slight problem with:
It's still until September (according to Wikipedia, that is) until I get to read the next new one.

Sooo, as I sat, pondering the situation and what to do about it, I got - after several sorry excuses for a thought - an idea ...
Now here's the question:
With how many peanuts (I'm willing to substitute peanuts with German sweets if that is preferred) do I have to bribe you to get some of the goodies (like, say, "How firm a foundation" for example ...) early?

;)
Re: Bribing an Author
Post by Panzer   » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Panzer
Lieutenant Commander

I don't think it quite works like that.
Post by Solly   » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:18 pm

Solly
Commander

Panzer wrote:I don't think it quite works like that.

If he can give Mr. Weber the money to fix his home then I think he's ok to go :) Jk of course. I do however think that no author could ever be bribed
Post by The Librarian   » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:23 am

The Librarian
Ensign

Probably need to bribe someone at the publishers instead. Or convince a bunch of hackers that what's on their network is of far greater public interest than what's on the Pentagon's systems or banking systems or ... :)-

Solly wrote:
Panzer wrote:I don't think it quite works like that.

If he can give Mr. Weber the money to fix his home then I think he's ok to go :) Jk of course. I do however think that no author could ever be bribed
Post by Bosparan   » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:16 pm

Bosparan
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

All kidding aside though ...
Is there any way to send the David something (I'm thinking along the lines of a box of freshly (at time of sending, not necessarily receiving) baked cookies) as a extra sign of appreciation for countless hours of entertainment?
Post by kbus888   » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:14 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

Bosparan wrote:All kidding aside though ...
Is there any way to send the David something (I'm thinking along the lines of a box of freshly (at time of sending, not necessarily receiving) baked cookies) as a extra sign of appreciation for countless hours of entertainment?

Well, I suspect that <DW> would be suitably pleased if you convinced (say) 100 of your friends and acquaintances to each buy a copy of the book and then told him about it :-)

R
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by Montrose Toast   » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Montrose Toast
Commodore

kbus888 wrote:

Well, I suspect that <DW> would be suitably pleased if you convinced (say) 100 of your friends and acquaintances to each buy a copy of the book and then told him about it :-)

R

I agree with that. To paraphrase RADM Daniel V. Gallery:
It is unfair to authors to lend books. If you like this book, tell all your friends and direct them to the nearest bookstore.
"Who Dares Wins"
Post by kbus888   » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:53 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

Hmmmmm

Does that include library books ??

I learned to love reading in great part by having access (via my mother's library membership card) to books borrowed from the library.

As a result, I now buy a great number of books !!

There sometimes is more than one way of looking at things.

Just say'n

R

Montrose Toast wrote:
kbus888 wrote:

R

I agree with that. To paraphrase RADM Daniel V. Gallery:
It is unfair to authors to lend books. If you like this book, tell all your friends and direct them to the nearest bookstore.
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by Donnachaidh   » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:19 am

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

I agree with a couple changes for DW (since he almost never has stand alone books): "It is unfair to authors to lend books. If you like this series, tell all your friends, lend the first one, and then direct them to the nearest bookstore." You have to get them hooked then send them off to get more. Baen books are also something of an exception because of the Baen Free Library.

Montrose Toast wrote:I agree with that. To paraphrase RADM Daniel V. Gallery:
Post by Montrose Toast   » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:15 am

Montrose Toast
Commodore

Donnachaidh wrote:I agree with a couple changes for DW (since he almost never has stand alone books): "It is unfair to authors to lend books. If you like this series, tell all your friends, lend the first one, and then direct them to the nearest bookstore." You have to get them hooked then send them off to get more. Baen books are also something of an exception because of the Baen Free Library.

Montrose Toast wrote:I agree with that. To paraphrase RADM Daniel V. Gallery:

I suspect the RADM would have agreed to that modification.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_V._Gallery
"Who Dares Wins"

Return to David's Dimension