Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Bribing an Author

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Re: Bribing an Author
Post by kbus888   » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:31 am

kbus888
Vice Admiral

Enlighten an Old Fart here

?? What does <RADM> mean ??

R

Montrose Toast wrote:
kbus888 wrote:
Bosparan wrote:All kidding aside though ...
Is there any way to send the David something (I'm thinking along the lines of a box of freshly (at time of sending, not necessarily receiving) baked cookies) as a extra sign of appreciation for countless hours of entertainment?

Well, I suspect that <DW> would be suitably pleased if you convinced (say) 100 of your friends and acquaintances to each buy a copy of the book and then told him about it :-)

R

I agree with that. To paraphrase RADM Daniel V. Gallery:
It is unfair to authors to lend books. If you like this book, tell all your friends and direct them to the nearest bookstore.
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by Donnachaidh   » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral

kbus888 wrote:Enlighten an Old Fart here

R
Post by Montrose Toast   » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Montrose Toast
Commodore

kbus888 wrote:Enlighten an Old Fart here

Sorry about that.
I still have a tendency to revert to "Navyese" and over use acronyms/abbreviations - especially on Navy topics.
Rear Admiral is correct.
Now I have to go and check my draft Iraqi Security Force Update and fix those...
"Who Dares Wins"
Post by Bosparan   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Bosparan
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

kbus888 wrote:
Well, I suspect that <DW> would be suitably pleased if you convinced (say) 100 of your friends and acquaintances to each buy a copy of the book and then told him about it :-)

R

I already am advertising the books to all my acquaintances, they are worth buying and reading after all. I don't think I've hit 100 yet but there's no time limit I know of.

The point however was rather the question, whether it was possible to send a more personal token of thanks than a variation on giving the author money. Like say "Hey David, here's a box of delicious, self-baked cookies from your fan Bosparan" (sorry, cookies are just too much the stereotype for me not to (ab-)use them for the example) in opposite to an account number he simply reads and forgets in his donations overview (I'm sure he's grateful for those as well of course).
Post by pokermind   » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:09 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure Dave like any famous person must be careful in accepting food stuffs from the general public, there are sick individuals out there. Perhaps a Frisbee with 'I may be a stinker, but at least I'm a Manticorian stinker' printed on it, or perhaps a teeshirt with 'Runsforcelery says <Dave you really need to go on a diet.> "Bad Poker Mind, bad, sick him Nimitz."
But seriously reading the discussion I'll share my personal experience with the Honorverse. I purchased War of Honor in paperback, read perhaps thirty pages closed and shelved it for years. When I finally got on line (I stayed off for twenty years paranoia about viruses, but Eric Flint tempted me online. I got Baen's free library book of OBS and began reading them in order, they mostly list Dave's books in order near the front, except the last time. Hey Dave thump the idiot who did that at Baen for me. My point is Dave's series read in order is good, but when I picked up a book in the middle it turned me off. My suggestion is if you recommend the series recommend the beginning book, its free, but is like dope you're hooked. CPO Poker Mind
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.

Return to David's Dimension