Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

What about fan art?

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
What about fan art?
Post by darkhorse   » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 am

darkhorse
Ensign

I didn't want to piggy-back on the previous thread regarding copyright questions, but this is another aspect of that as well.

Does anyone know the legaleze regarding art within this topic; and more to the point... How Mr. Weber feels about it?

I've been wanting to do a painting of Walsharno for a long (loooonnnng) time, but I don't want to step on toes, (and frankly I'm not 100% sure on the specifics of his appearance.)

At any rate, feedback would be greatly appreciated (please be polite :))

Thanks
Re: What about fan art?
Post by Solly   » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Solly
Commander

darkhorse wrote:I didn't want to piggy-back on the previous thread regarding copyright questions, but this is another aspect of that as well.

Does anyone know the legaleze regarding art within this topic; and more to the point... How Mr. Weber feels about it?

I've been wanting to do a painting of Walsharno for a long (loooonnnng) time, but I don't want to step on toes, (and frankly I'm not 100% sure on the specifics of his appearance.)

At any rate, feedback would be greatly appreciated (please be polite :))

Thanks

I've seen fan art of the Honorverse and others on Deviant Art. However those are usually done just for fun however there is a artist on there who draws ones that are for publication. I don't know how to answer this question hope it helps.
Re: What about fan art?
Post by darkhorse   » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:28 pm

darkhorse
Ensign

Actually, I think you did answer my question. I didn't know if it would be copyright infringement to do a painting of a specific character and name it as such; a painting specifically of Walsharno for example. If others have actually presented such works online, (or other wise in a public forum) than I guess I can infer that it is not actually illegal and (hopefully) that Mr. Weber doesn't mind. (I'm trying to avoid irritating...or worse... my favorite author is all.)

Return to David's Dimension