Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Is "Peter Rice" David Weber?

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Is "Peter Rice" David Weber?
Post by MWadwell   » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:49 pm

MWadwell
Captain (Junior Grade)

G'Day All,

I've been reading some of Peter L Rice's Renegade Legion novels, and they prompted me to look for more from this author.

I found that Peter Rice (also known as Peter L Rice) only wrote 3 novels in the early 1990's, and according to some old posts is a pen name.

Reading through the novels, they seem very familiar - in fact they got me thinking of the early David Weber novels.

I then cross referenced David Weber's novels, checking their date of publishing with Peter Rice's novels, and they seem to match. David Weber releases a novel roughly every 5 months - but there is a 11 month gap between Mutineer's Moon and Crusade when Peter Rice's novel "Frost Death" was published, and a 9 month gap between Crusade and Path of the Fury when "Monsoon" was released.

There is also the similarity, that David Weber released novels on FASA's "Starfire" gaming system at the same time as Peter Rice released novels on FASA's "Renegade Legion" gaming system.

So, can anyone clarify whether Peter Rice is David Weber?

Thanks!

Later,
Matthew Wadwell.

Later,
Matt
Re: Is "Peter Rice" David Weber?
Post by DJMacdonald   » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:34 pm

DJMacdonald
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

MWadwell wrote:G'Day All,

I've been reading some of Peter L Rice's Renegade Legion novels, and they prompted me to look for more from this author.

I found that Peter Rice (also known as Peter L Rice) only wrote 3 novels in the early 1990's, and according to some old posts is a pen name.

Reading through the novels, they seem very familiar - in fact they got me thinking of the early David Weber novels.

I then cross referenced David Weber's novels, checking their date of publishing with Peter Rice's novels, and they seem to match. David Weber releases a novel roughly every 5 months - but there is a 11 month gap between Mutineer's Moon and Crusade when Peter Rice's novel "Frost Death" was published, and a 9 month gap between Crusade and Path of the Fury when "Monsoon" was released.

There is also the similarity, that David Weber released novels on FASA's "Starfire" gaming system at the same time as Peter Rice released novels on FASA's "Renegade Legion" gaming system.

So, can anyone clarify whether Peter Rice is David Weber?

Thanks!

Later,
Matthew Wadwell.

According to his SFIDB entry http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?4873 no pen names are listed.
-- Duncan
Re: Is "Peter Rice" David Weber?
Post by Thunder Child Actual   » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:17 am

Thunder Child Actual
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Just for the record the "Starfire" gaming system was first published by Task Force Games not FASA. Task Force Games sold it off to the Starfire Design Studio in the mid 1990s and they are still putting out product and support of it to this day.

Return to David's Dimension