Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Stargate Universe

Pull up a chair and talk to Sharon about care and feeding of an author, life in the literary world, crochet, or just life in general.
Re: Stargate Universe
Post by Tenshinai   » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

namelessfly wrote:You folk keep referring to Sci Fi shows I'v enever heard of. Are they perhaps aired only in Europe.

I very much doubt it. Which Scifi shows did you mean?
The one i mentioned, Evangelion, is an anime, not a "liveaction". Not recommended however. Its infamous for being a classic brainf***.
Post by bafoote   » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:26 pm

bafoote
Rear Admiral

Since SGU is unwatchable one has to turn to good Sci-Fy like Firefly even though there are only 14 episodes, don't watch the movie "Serenity" as its dumb and a downer after watching the episodes and then get Farscape and plug that in.

If you can read subtitles fast enough watch IRIS, Korean Spy Drama, though like all Korean Dramas don't watch the last 10 minutes of the last episode if you want to feel good otherwise all Korean dramas are amazingly well displayed, amzing choreography, amazing musical track, just for some reason they never believe in happy endings. Always Medium happy endings or sad endings. IE they always believe the saying, "When one is bent on revenge, dig two graves", and go on to show both graves being dug. That and every Korean Drama must have a love triangle for some reason. Watch Dong-Yi, Chuno, The Great Queen Seoduck, Jumong, and others. They are amazing. Several Sites. Hulu.com. crunchyroll.com. dramafever.com
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

One guesses one is in the minority. I liked SGU. It is not SG1 but it shows a reality that SG1 ignores. The do what I say not what I do. Even later on the hipocrasy of fighting the Ori and telling everyone in the universe the truth except of course us the good people of Earth.

Universe lets some of the aggravation one builds up in SG1 release. Only this time the shoe is on the other foot, the Man isn't in control. SGC or the IOA.

I always have an SG story line in me, an alternate story with a different POV. A civilian version, same time line, same string, different perspective.

Of course I'm not Stargate Inc. So my story line stays with me.

Points out inconsistencies.
Like:

1. Toqura - dying race that will soon fade away. Only if there truly were a blending of consciousnesses, they wouldn't fade away. They could easily harsesis (sp?) Themselves and carry on as a distinct society.

2. Midway station and the SGA bridge. A great idea. But let's not take the city back. In fact why not put a bunch a scientists in it, a whole IOA's worth.
Instead put a Stargate in a X304 or X305. Or perhaps one of the many Hatak.
A ship that doesn't need a shield or a ZPM to fly in space. Could land on any planet in Pegasus and using a midway station, even if it only went half way or one gate short of the way to the milky way, to move people to or from Earth quickly. 1day in hyperspace to the Edgeway station, 1 day at midway, 15 minutes to the new "Atlantis". Only it is a Hatak with drones and Asgard shields and jumpers and 302's as well as its usual armaments and a Stargate. Would anything change?
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

One wouldn't have to keep hunting for ZPM's one wouldn't need to leave the city at important times just take it with you. If your new sensors detect a hive coming do one better, don't turn invisible, leave the system. Park yourself In space for a week or a month or so. Go to a different planet. You still have a ship that is huge, which will amaze any of the locals, and with upgrades will be able to fight off anyone. Asgard weapons or modified drones. Should do the trick. An interface from a puddle jumper taken apart would give a command / bridge chair drone firing and aiming capabilities.

Mid way station might even have a facility that makes tauri tori? Speced jumpers. Rail guns, and missiles, can't go invisible but they do have a shield.
The 302b gate ship with folding wings, and troop compartment and digital and crystal tech that even low level people can fix, maybe even military. :)
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:46 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:
Of course I'm not Stargate Inc. So my story line stays with me.

Why should it have to stay with just you?
http://www.fanfiction.net/
Post by Emo Otaku   » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:53 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

I was really enjoying SGU

I thought the main characters were more human, flawed in ways that couldn't be predicted before they were forced onto the Destiny.

I always found some of the SG-1 characters a bit too perfect lets face it Samantha carters name should have been changed to Mary-Sue
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane
Post by Tenshinai   » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:12 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

lets face it Samantha carters name should have been changed to Mary-Sue

Nah, she´s still pretty much overshadowed by the boys in the team.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:45 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Fellow author John Scalzi was one of the consultants on SGU.

I personally like the distance from command and the hipocriticle nature of their interactions. I think more civilians in the show find out what is going on than in any other SG show.

Coming to think about it the communication stones are right up, Scalzi's alley.

Return to Sharon's Corner