Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jonathan_S and 40 guests

Battle of Spindle

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Battle of Spindle
Post by kzt   » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:06 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:
Oh, I forgot, chunks of bomb casing can actually survive the detonation. They used to find them scattered around on the ground after atmospheric testing. This of course inspired Dr Van Allen which led to the nuclear test that resulted in Dr Van Allen loosing his balls.

That requires further explanation, yes?

Iirc, steel balls covered in graphite were placed to an h-bomb...
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:40 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Dr Van Allen's balls were very large but hollow steel coated with graphite rather than solid brass.

In a fit of suicidal depression, Dr Van Allen detonated a nuke in close proximity to his balls.

Dr Van Allen's balls were eventually found miles away from ground zero.
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:22 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Could the Mk 23-E be used in conjunction with Mistletoe to localize leaking transmissions from a stealthy MA ship? Then 23-Es that are in optimum positions, can be directed to triangulated points in space much like the special torpedo Spock made to find that cloaked Romulan vessel.

Hey, many engineers gave Sonja and Shannon a hard time about their crazy ideas too, though they weren't as cordial as I am. :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:22 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Could the Mk 23-E be used in conjunction with Mistletoe to localize leaking transmissions from a stealthy MA ship? Then 23-Es that are in optimum positions, can be directed to triangulated points in space much like the special torpedo Spock made to find that cloaked Romulan vessel.

It seems to me that recon drones would be much better suited to such a search; as they are designed to be longer lived and more stealthy. But how would you ever know where or when to start? Space is really BIG! Also Mistletoe is a recon drone with a warhead (nothing wrong with that), so they might work better with other recon drones.

PS. I lost nearly all interest in Star Trek after the first season, at that point it was a multiyear mission to find women for Captain Kirk.
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:Could the Mk 23-E be used in conjunction with Mistletoe to localize leaking transmissions from a stealthy MA ship? Then 23-Es that are in optimum positions, can be directed to triangulated points in space much like the special torpedo Spock made to find that cloaked Romulan vessel.

It seems to me that recon drones would be much better suited to such a search; as they are designed to be longer lived and more stealthy. But how would you ever know where or when to start? Space is really BIG! Also Mistletoe is a recon drone with a warhead (nothing wrong with that), so they might work better with other recon drones.

PS. I lost nearly all interest in Star Trek after the first season, at that point it was a multiyear mission to find women for Captain Kirk.

They are much better suited for the job. I didn't mean to suggest the 23-Es should take over their bailiwick, except to pass on any transmission "leaks" it may detect on its way to kill its proposed target. And then to target suspicious positions in space, after its brood delivers its payload, if it(s) in an apropriate position.

I'm all about squeezing every bit of utility out of hardware. Akin to using VCRs of the 70s as higher resolution reel-to-reel music devices before the industry caught on and started building in and supporting the ability naturally.

Late edit:
My father had a reel-to-reel player that sounded second to none. The tape traveled much faster across the recording heads which allowed higher resolution recordings to be produced. I realized the possibility to duplicate those devices very early on in the VCR's life cycle - Betamaxes initially reigned supreme -- and used them as reel-to-reels. Most people coming to visit me would always ask, "Wow, what's that playing, it sounds amazing!?"An example.

About Kirk and his women. COs have certain fringe benefits that come with the job, ask Alice Truman's harem. :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:30 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:About Kirk and his women. COs have certain fringe benefits that come with the job, ask Alice Truman's harem.

Unlike early Star Trek, the talk about Alice Truman's "harem" was a joke. Perhaps in the SLN something like that could be set up; see what Thandi Palane thought that Caprain Rozsak was about, for example.

However White Haven did something similar, so it was not impossible in the RMN.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:09 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

tlb wrote:

The only place I remember mention of White Haven having a relationship with a fellow officer was in Field of Dishonor, when it mentions that he had a short term affair with Theodosia Kuzak. Both of them agreed it was a mistake and broke things off amicably.

And then there was Honor.
Post by tlb   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:24 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:However White Haven did something similar, so it was not impossible in the RMN.

Fox2! wrote:The only place I remember mention of White Haven having a relationship with a fellow officer was in Field of Dishonor, when it mentions that he had a short term affair with Theodosia Kuzak. Both of them agreed it was a mistake and broke things off amicably.

And then there was Honor.

I am not certain, but I think that Theodosia Kuzak was in his chain of command; which would make it against regulations. Also I thought that it was more in the nature of a one night affair, rather than a mistake. That was what I was referencing in my remark.

I think Honor got herself captured before they could violate regulations and later she was not in his chain of command, until he became First Lord after the marriage.

But you are correct in that neither was in the nature of a "harem".
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:About Kirk and his women. COs have certain fringe benefits that come with the job, ask Alice Truman's harem.

Unlike early Star Trek, the talk about Alice Truman's "harem" was a joke. Perhaps in the SLN something like that could be set up; see what Thandi Palane thought that Caprain Rozsak was about, for example.

Of course it was a joke. Yet, sometimes myths, legends and even jokes are fueled by a bit of truth. If Alison had her way, Honor would have uncaged the natural, Sphinxian-born cougar that crouches at the feet of her loins. Honor could have really taken advantage of fringe benefits, knowing right offhand—by her secret ability—who is amicable and thinking dirty, sexual thoughts about her. Like, possibly, her Grayson armsmen when she exited the pool dripping wet in what amounts to a Grayson's joke for a bathing suit.

Poor armsmen. :oops:

Post by tlb   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:05 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Of course it was a joke.

Alison was much more conventional than her talk would indicate; she did trade on the stereotypes about Beowulf to shock people, but was very much committed to a monogamous relationship. It is not that she wanted Honor to have relationships with everyone, instead she wanted Honor to climb out of her protective shell and to have a special relationship with someone.

Return to Honorverse