Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests

Rooting

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Rooting
Post by TangoLima   » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:00 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

The original rooting thread veered off topic.
I root for people like Indy, Paulo & Wanderman.
These are people I can relate to.
I am not against the elite characters, it is just
that they are so much bigger than life and that
makes them hard for me to relate to them.
Lesser lights float my boat.
Re: Rooting
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:35 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TangoLima wrote:The original rooting thread veered off topic.
I root for people like Indy, Paulo & Wanderman.
These are people I can relate to.
I am not against the elite characters, it is just
that they are so much bigger than life and that
makes them hard for me to relate to them.
Lesser lights float my boat.

Abby! Go Abby! Go Abby! Go Abby!

I forgot the family name of the mountaineers in SoV, but I couldn't have rooted any harder for them.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by GloriousRuse   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:48 am

GloriousRuse
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Well, we know who I root against...

Honestly, I tend to root for the competent mid-levels on the side of the antagonists. The protagonists are too Mary Sue for anything but power fantasy by this point, and the supreme bad guys are always painted as wildly incompetent, blatantly immoral/evil, and somehow also in charge of everything. The Foraker types (before elevation) who are trying hard and working smart are generally believable...indeed, who any one of us would find very valuable in our organizations in a world where your competitors are preternaturally perfect...I generally find more interesting.
Post by Daryl   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:02 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Ah English, the language that divides nations. To us "Rooting" means enthusiastic fornication. Obviously to our US friends it means cheering for and supporting?
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Ah English, the language that divides nations. To us "Rooting" means enthusiastic fornication. Obviously to our US friends it means cheering for and supporting?

God made the Tower of Babel lean towards obfuscation.

That would be rutting to most Americans. Although to be fair Daryl, there is some miscreant overlap.

But to answer your question, yes, rooting is cheering.

I'm rooting for Illiescu to find that leak and plug it.

I'm rooting for Alfred to help Nimitz get his mojo back.

I'm rooting for Weber to crank out at least one more book.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:33 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Ah English, the language that divides nations. To us "Rooting" means enthusiastic fornication. Obviously to our US friends it means cheering for and supporting?

cthia wrote:God made the Tower of Babel lean towards obfuscation.

That would be rutting to most Americans. Although to be fair Daryl, there is some miscreant overlap.

But to answer your question, yes, rooting is cheering.

The use of the words "fanny" or "bummed" in the US is particularly humorous to the English, for whom those words have a ruder meaning. And in the Carolinas to "shag" means to dance to beach music.

PS. From the examples given when referring to people, "rutting" seems to be more used in England than over here.
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:And in the Carolinas to "shag" means to dance to beach music.

Not exactly, in the Carolinas shagging is a specific dance. Here are some shagging lessons.

tlb wrote:PS. From the examples given when referring to people, "rutting" seems to be more used in England than over here.

Not true, it may precede your generation and/or geography.

Post by tlb   » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:04 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:And in the Carolinas to "shag" means to dance to beach music.

cthia wrote:Not exactly, in the Carolinas shagging is a specific dance.

If you are dancing to beach music in the Carolinas, then you should be doing the shag.
From Southern Living:
Many years ago, the Shag was born on the beaches of South Carolina. Quick and smooth, the dance rose in popularity among young people in the 1940s as they stepped and twirled to “beach music.” Before long, well-known fast dancers such as Billy Jeffers and ‘Chicken’ Hicks emerged as leading influencers of the easygoing community birthed from the dance that rocked the beaches and, later, the nation. It solidified its name throughout the 1940s and 1950s and has ebbed and flowed in and out of popularity since. And, as if it couldn’t sound any more Southern, the Carolina Shag has lived on to being described as a “cold beer on a warm night with a hot date and no plans for tomorrow.”

Return to Honorverse