Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

spoiler next book vis a vis TFT

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
spoiler next book vis a vis TFT
Post by TangoLima   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:29 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

I am hoping we get something on the order of the TFT
timeline and book size for the next Honorverse by DW.
Covering the hiatus in near yearly increments would
make for nice sized tome and catch us up on developments.
Set us all up and then bring the hammer down,
Re: spoiler next book vis a vis TFT
Post by drothgery   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Though given prolong, a twenty-year or so shift forward of the main timeline won't have nearly as many key players dropping due to old age.
Post by TangoLima   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:32 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'd like to see the kids grow up.
Careers and promotions.
Polities jockeying for position.
Breakthroughs, buildups, growth, collapse.
Waning of the pre-prolong generations.
The sweep of history.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:55 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

TangoLima wrote:I'd like to see the kids grow up.
Careers and promotions.
Polities jockeying for position.
Breakthroughs, buildups, growth, collapse.
Waning of the pre-prolong generations.
The sweep of history.

The real reason for the hiatus is to allow Honor's kids to grow and join the navy.

I would bet things would not change that much. Remember the two generations of Star Trek. The Next Generation was very similar to the earlier one. More advanced tech and some bridge changes but the stories were essentially the same.

We'll have that here. But we can see some youngsters starting (and, yes, we did have a couple of pre-command Honor stories but they were minor) out, having to live up to Honor's rep. And, of course, they will be at the top of the social tree.
Post by TangoLima   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:06 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

All good/great points.
I'll be interested in the 'TWISTS' DW throws at us.
The RF and Onion strategic plan changes.
Where our favorite characters end up.
Perhaps a contest for bragging rights.
Who can guess closest to actual ranks held by the time
the main sequence of the next mainline novel.
Helen, Abby, Scotty, Harkness, Naomi, Aivars, Aubrey,
Ginger, Paulo, etc. etc.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:08 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

TangoLima wrote:All good/great points.
Ginger, Paulo, etc. etc.

Things might be very different but likely it's more of the same. And no guarantees on any of the characters. It's likely that the older ones will be retired or close to it.

There will be promotions but in a navy of hundreds of ships how likely is it that all that many characters will be available. On the other hand, RFC did get most of the Hexapuma survivors sort of together.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:I would bet things would not change that much. Remember the two generations of Star Trek. The Next Generation was very similar to the earlier one. More advanced tech and some bridge changes but the stories were essentially the same.

There are only so many stories, and most of them have already been told, over and over. We change the characters, the setting, the details, and tell them again. If we do it well, the new old stories are fun, and worth reading. Weber does it well. And I try.

Read 'Melancholy Elephants' by Spider Robinson.
———————————
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:09 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi LDWechsler,

They aren't the only Hexapuma survivors; lots of the crew were transferred to other ships while Hexapuma waited for a repair dock, so there were actually very few actually aboard when it was attacked.

They just weren't named characters.

I suspect Sinead will host a survivor's party when her husband and the rest returns from Mesa, which now that the alliance controls the wormhole will be a lot faster than she can get back home from Montana, so she might have hurried home after getting Aviars' letters, depending how long Jimmy boy has to stay in Mesa, so it might be longer than otherwise-typical navy.

Or given how popular Aviars is in the Talbot Quadrant, she might be a guest of the system governments of Rembrandt, Nuncio and Split, and possibly visit Baroness Medusa on her way home. :D

Anyone see Aviars as a future CNO during the kids' careers?

It may another long while before we get the follow on to UH, so we have lots of time to speculate, albeit most of it wrong until we get all the clues.

But's that life. ;)

L

ldwechsler wrote:
TangoLima wrote:All good/great points.
Ginger, Paulo, etc. etc.

Things might be very different but likely it's more of the same. And no guarantees on any of the characters. It's likely that the older ones will be retired or close to it.

There will be promotions but in a navy of hundreds of ships how likely is it that all that many characters will be available. On the other hand, RFC did get most of the Hexapuma survivors sort of together.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:57 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

lyonheart wrote:Hi LDWechsler,

They aren't the only Hexapuma survivors; lots of the crew were transferred to other ships while Hexapuma waited for a repair dock, so there were actually very few actually aboard when it was attacked.

Hexapuma still had most of the crew aboard when it was destroyed. Of the people who were present when the ship left Monica (i.e. not medevaced when the first reinforcements arrived, only 15(?) survived and most have been accounted for. There's a point in SOV where Sinead gathers with some of them and reflects that the room has a certain percentage of the survivors in it. Perhaps someone else will have time to give a direct quote, but IIRC it worked out to somewhere between 12 and 20 survivors for the whole ship.
Post by lyonheart   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:33 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Galactic Sapper,

You're thinking of the dinner aboard the CW with 5 or 45% of the named survivors.

But if you go back to the MoH textev, the crew had been drastically reduced, ie to a skeleton, while waiting for its repairs.

L

Galactic Sapper wrote:
lyonheart wrote:

Hexapuma still had most of the crew aboard when it was destroyed. Of the people who were present when the ship left Monica (i.e. not medevaced when the first reinforcements arrived, only 15(?) survived and most have been accounted for. There's a point in SOV where Sinead gathers with some of them and reflects that the room has a certain percentage of the survivors in it. Perhaps someone else will have time to give a direct quote, but IIRC it worked out to somewhere between 12 and 20 survivors for the whole ship.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Honorverse